MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl to brad152

MVM

to brad152

Re: [FL] Whole Room Rip Off

FWIW I just switched our TV over to DIRECTV with their whole house DVR system this past Sunday. I have a HR24 HD DVR in the living room and a H25 HD receiver in the family room providing TV for our two HDTVs. I choose not to spend the extra $99 up front for their newest HR34 HD DVR that is capable of recording five programs at a time since we have no plans to expand beyong our two existing HDTVs. So far the system we have is working flawlessly and we are very happy with it. DIRECTV claims I can record up to 100 hours of HD on the HR24 HD DVR depending on the recordings I make. If I get even half or 2/3rds of that I will be really happy...

The installation was first rate. The installer was quite knowledgeable and helpful answering all of my questions. The only issue we had was getting the wireless Cinema Connection Kit connected to my home guest wireless network. I typically use a long 63-character random ASCII key to protect my two wireless networks. Unfortunately the DIRECTV box only can use 26-characters using letters (upper or lower case) and numbers. So I had to dumb down, so to speak, the guest encryption key. Its still protected with WPA2-PSK [AES] but with a shorter key.

I still have Cox for HSI (Preferred tier) and telephone (Premier) which I am very happy with.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by SoonerAl:

FWIW I just switched our TV over to DIRECTV with their whole house DVR system this past Sunday. I have a HR24 HD DVR in the living room and a H25 HD receiver in the family room providing TV for our two HDTVs. I choose not to spend the extra $99 up front for their newest HR34 HD DVR that is capable of recording five programs at a time since we have no plans to expand beyong our two existing HDTVs. So far the system we have is working flawlessly and we are very happy with it. DIRECTV claims I can record up to 100 hours of HD on the HR24 HD DVR depending on the recordings I make. If I get even half or 2/3rds of that I will be really happy...

The installation was first rate. The installer was quite knowledgeable and helpful answering all of my questions. The only issue we had was getting the wireless Cinema Connection Kit connected to my home guest wireless network. I typically use a long 63-character random ASCII key to protect my two wireless networks. Unfortunately the DIRECTV box only can use 26-characters using letters (upper or lower case) and numbers. So I had to dumb down, so to speak, the guest encryption key. Its still protected with WPA2-PSK [AES] but with a shorter key.

I still have Cox for HSI (Preferred tier) and telephone (Premier) which I am very happy with.

I switched over from DishNetwork to DirecTV last week. I couldn't be happier. Their Hopper/Joey system was a joke with only 3 tuners for the entire house. I went with the HR34 5 tuner DVR and 3 HD receivers. I ended up getting a second dual tuner DVR for free due to an issue I had but they resolved it quickly. It is nice to be able to watch any of the programming from any of the DVRs in any room. 7 tuners of recording is nice! I'm glad I got the 5 tuner model as that thing is a beast and holds a TON of programming. I record a lot of programming with it since I can record 5 things now. I have over 3 weeks of programming! The claim of 200 hours of HD is definitely not a joke.

I had them install the wired Cinema Connection as I didn't want another wireless device to deal with. The tech said no problem as he got paid to install the wired one and not the wireless one.

I definitely can't beat paying $50 a month either for all these HD channels and 2 DVRs Rainfade has not been an issue with this system either.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

the hopper has six tuners in it, that's how it can record up to six shows at once.

I just got one the other day, but i only have it installed in three rooms, but from what i can tell it has six since i was able to record four shows last night while watching two others.

I've had Dish off and on for about five years and never had any issues with any of their equipment, and to be honest i do find their SD channels to be of much better quality than Direc since they do not squeeze them all onto one satellite.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

3 edits

dishrich

said by brad152:

the hopper has six tuners in it, that's how it can record up to six shows at once.

You evidently didn't do a lot of (if any) research on this...

It ONLY has THREE actual (total) tuners in the Hopper, but because it uses only ONE of those tuners to record ALL prime-time shows from the 4 major networks, that's why they advertise (in all that fine print) record up to 6 live HD channels at once during prime-time. (all of those networks in each market are on a single x-ponder - THAT'S how ONE tuner does PTAT!)

If the majority of your TV recording/watch is prime time from the 4 major nets, that fine - but try watching &/or recording 6 different things from any OTHER channels you get at once, & watch what happens...

I assume you DO realize those "Joey" units in the other rooms have NO tuners in them at all; they have to steal one of those 3 tuners in the Hopper if you want to watch (& pause) live TV from them.
Sorry, but having 3 measly TOTAL tuners for being able to watch/record, would NEVER cut it just for myself!

Eventually, DISH is supposed to be making it so that you can add on a 2nd Hopper unit to your setup, so that BOTH Hoppers function as a 6-tuner WHD setup -with all the Joey(s) being able to see BOTH Hopper's hard drives; unfortunately, they have NOT released a date when that's going to happen. Knowing DISH as well as I do, I would NEVER buy something from them on a "supposed to" condition, until it's actually released AND working (properly).

Sorry, but if I was going to go the route of a "media-center DVR", I would have gone w/DirecTV - at least THEY had sense enough to put FIVE actual, separate, tuners in theirs - while STILL keeping another "live" tuner in each of their version of "Joey's". Their 4-room whole-house DVR gives you 8 total separate tuners.

You might want to see some of the other limitations of this H/J thing, since you are now stuck for 2 years:

»www.satelliteguys.us/dis ··· oey.html

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to brad152

Premium Member

to brad152
said by brad152:

I just got one the other day, but i only have it installed in three rooms, but from what i can tell it has six since i was able to record four shows last night while watching two others.

I've had Dish off and on for about five years and never had any issues with any of their equipment, and to be honest i do find their SD channels to be of much better quality than Direc since they do not squeeze them all onto one satellite.

As stated, it's 3 tuners that is shared by the Joey's. No thanks. I like the DirecTV approach of 5 tuners in one room, and the other H25 (non-DVR receivers) can watch their own shows on their own tuners or choose to watch a recording.

You are comparing apples to oranges there on the satellites. DirecTV has the license for 32 transponders on 101 which is why they can put all the SD on there.
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

I honestly think within the next 5-10 years, cable TV as we know it will cease to exist. For one, it's boring, for two it's expensive and watch how many people cut the cord. This is one reason why I want to see caps to be illegal. If a customer wants to just have internet only - let them! I'm coming really close to dropping cable at least for satellite. I can get 3 premiums for $120 and whole room dvr on DISH. Cox, my bill is $140.00 NO premiums, 3 boxes...
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss

said by Rob_:

I honestly think within the next 5-10 years, cable TV as we know it will cease to exist. For one, it's boring, for two it's expensive and watch how many people cut the cord. This is one reason why I want to see caps to be illegal. If a customer wants to just have internet only - let them! I'm coming really close to dropping cable at least for satellite. I can get 3 premiums for $120 and whole room dvr on DISH. Cox, my bill is $140.00 NO premiums, 3 boxes...

And as I've said in a previous quote, you video-cord cutters are likely the reason that caps are in place. They (cable cos) won't let you take away that revenue without some ramifications. And expect data prices to continue to go even higher unless you bundle with TV.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

said by Hoss:

said by Rob_:

And as I've said in a previous quote, you video-cord cutters are likely the reason that caps are in place. They (cable cos) won't let you take away that revenue without some ramifications. And expect data prices to continue to go even higher unless you bundle with TV.

cox does not gve discounts on HSI fo having more then one service that I know of.
ajwees41

ajwees41 to Rob_

Premium Member

to Rob_
Rob I don't think so, switch already if you hate cox prices. as long as people pay they will continue to raise rates.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich
said by dishrich:

said by brad152:

You evidently didn't do a lot of (if any) research on this...

Yeah i saw that on their 2nd commercial in the fine print about only during primetime.

they make it sound like you can record any six channels at any one time which isn't true.