Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Orange dust in waster / copper pipes / hidden water softener

Since that one time a few months ago when there was a water main that broke in my neighborhood and cut water to the area, I've been finding a lot of orange particles in the first few seconds of running water.

Now I'm guessing it's rust, but this happens in every tap of the house, yet all my house piping is copper. AFAIK copper doesn't rust.

Now I read that it could be the water softener device if there is one, that is rusting. I did find a bag of water softener pellets in my garage left-over by the previous owner, but I can't find the device itself. I traced my water line entrance and found nothing along it up to the hot water tank. Maybe they didn't have it anymore, but the bag stayed.

It could also be the municipal water that's rusty since they fixed that water main, but I haven't had the time to meet the neighbors before winter kicked in and nobody hangs outside their house in winter. I'm just surprised it wouldn't be fixed by now if it's the municipality.

PS: It is really orange dust/particles. I can see it caking all over my air humidifiers.

So ya I'm stumped and my wife is annoying me to fix it, fix what?

oldeguy
Premium
join:2007-08-04
Phoenixville, PA

Try removing and cleaning the aerators from all your faucets, then run water from all of them before replacing the aerators. Run water anywhere you can (showers, outside faucets) and drain your water heater for a few minutes until the water coming out shows clear.

Turn off the water, replace the aerators, and see what it looks like. If there's still a problem, contact the water company, tell them what you did, and that it started after the water main break.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
reply to alkizmo

Around here some people use Softener salt to melt ice on the driveway if regular salt mixtures sell out, so I wouldn't look too much deeper into that since you traced all the way to the water heater...

As oldeguy See Profile said, drain the water heater as there is most likely some still floating in there....

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

Ok makes sense for the water softener pellets. The bag was placed with the de-icing salt and sand.

I'd be surprised the aerators have anything to do with it, I mean it's every faucet including the bath. But I'll try.

The water heater containing residues is highly possible, as hot water has the most colored water, but it's not the source, as cold water still has coloration.

I'll call the city as well, ask them if they had other complaints of the water color.

Thanks guysss.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to alkizmo

Our little burg cleans/flushes the fire hydrants periodically, and every time they do it stirs up sediment in the water lines, cuasing our water to appear "rusty" at times. I'm on their e-mail notification list so I usually get a few day's notice that it is scheduled. That may be what has happened to your area. If the sediment was particularly heavy it can/does get accumulated in the strainers/aerators in your home, so removing them and cleaning them out might be helpful. I've seen it actually reduce water flow in the house. It needn't be an actual waterline break that causes it. You might even give the water department a call to see if there is/was a program of flushing the water lines in progress, or just concluded. That would explain why it's appearing at every outlet in the house.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to alkizmo

»www.lowes.com/pd_89378-59019-WHK···cetInfo=

Don't forget to install a #6 bonding jumper over the top.
--
...because I care.

iknow

@optonline.net

said by nunya:

»www.lowes.com/pd_89378-59019-WHK···cetInfo=

Don't forget to install a #6 bonding jumper over the top.

reviews: Cons

Not durable
Low quality
cartidge life
hard to seat
leaks
needs a bracket
no mounting
made by whirlpool

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by iknow :

reviews: Cons

quote:
Not durable
Really based on experience or testing? I've had one since 1989 and it still works fine.

quote:
Low quality
see above

quote:
cartidge life
Directly proportional to the crud it's filtering

quote:
hard to seat
Never had a problem with screwing on the bottom

quote:
leaks
Replace "O" ring if it leaks. I may have used 2 since 1989.

quote:
needs a bracket
no bracket on mine. Mounted on brass rigid pipe coming out of pump.

quote:
no mounting
quote:
made by whirlpool
I hope you don't really believe that