join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

dillyhammer to Trist

Premium Member

to Trist

Re: Cogeco's Broken Usage Meter

said by Trist:

On a better note I contacted Bell and can have a much more generous package (something like 20 or 24 MB downstream) with a higher a cap and at a ridiculous low price for the first 12-months. No commitment required. Making a list of important email contacts to move them away then I've had it with Cogeco.

I would encourage you to speak to an indie or two if you plan on going to DSL. Some of the indies offer FTTN speeds, with extremely large caps. Most do not meter usage during late evenings and early mornings.

Some of them are doing promos for March.

»[DSL] Lucky Month of March Promo

Eventually the honeymoon will wear off with B#ell, and you may well end up regretting your decision.

Mike

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

....Eventually the honeymoon will wear off with B#ell, and you may well end up regretting your decision.

Especially when they find out that B#ELL is really B$ELL !

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

Especially when they find out that B#ELL is really B$ELL !

And how. I've seen a lot of people, myself included, get rooked in by TGTBT start up deals only to suffer later. Double-billing, shock invoices, bills for stuff never ordered, credit card and bank account dipping long after accounts closed.... it goes on and on.

I haven't had a bill from B#ell since May 2008. Lovin' it.

Mike

Trist
join:2004-04-08
Hamilton, ON

Trist to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
Thanks for the heads-up on Bell. I did some research on their CS and read many useful user comments here and on other forums and ruled out not just Bell, but DSL. I may try the new cable reseller at some point but for now I am sticking with the devil I know.

I did call in and, last week, have a service call that took care of my issue which was surprising to me since it had all signs of being another congestion issue but was instead only the the modem. The technicians replaced it, trimmed and recapped some cable and all was well again. Better speed than I've ever had, in fact. Also, from the Tech I learned that the higher end packages are, and have been since last year, available to me.

I'm still on what was Standard and so I am upgrading, this Thursday, to the Ultimate 30 for an extra $9/monthly. I only once used over 80GB (since the jump from 60GB) so I'll be able to do much more online with less worry about the meter, which I still don't find updates up-to-date. It's a huge difference in cap, more than I can imagine using, but I'd rather pay the extra $9 than what what I paid last November when I did go well over, with no second warning ever being sent!! And I did find a small utility, as it seems everyone else has, that does a decent job monitoring correct usage from my main computer (my netbook sees little usage as it's for writing and browsing, and neither of my phones makes much of a dent) so I can monitor myself and remain well under the U30 package cap.

Hopefully Cogeco will work on a better monitoring process but with the exception of raising prices they have always been slow on everything internet related so not holding my breath.