how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pat_P

join:2010-03-31
Rochester, NY

Time to renew contract for Frontier DSL service in Rochester

My three year contract for Frontier DSL service is expiring soon and it is time to renew. I'm in Rochester, New York and have decided not to switch to Time Warner.

My current charges (all amounts rounded to the nearest dollar and exclusive of taxes, etc)) for a landline and DSL service as follows:

$32 advanced feature landline (includes voicemail, etc)
4 6520 modem (should I ask for a better one?)
30 DSL service

When I call Frontier to renew, should I ask to renew on these terms or have prices gone down or up in the last three years? I suppose I could threaten to switch to Time Warner, but I would like a good three year rate, rather than a one year "teaser" rate.

Thanks all!

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
If the 6520 isn't giving you problems, why replace it? You'll get a Westell 7500, which is better than the 6520s (WPA2 Security!) but there's no point in getting a replacement, especially if you don't pay for the modem rental fee if it works just fine and the lack of WPA2 Security doesn't bother you.

Now if you're lucky, you will also get 7550 which does Wireless N and WPA2 (Required for N to work).

mkrasz

join:2000-03-06
Rochester, NY
In Rochester you will get a Netgear 7550.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Pat_P
Better call them before you think your contract is up. In my neck of the woods they just automatically renew you if you don't speak up. Hopefully you will get a better price, so negotiate. If you are staying with Frontier get the 7550, but I think your modem rental fee will go to $6 per month (not sure).

frontiertim

join:2012-02-22
kudos:1
reply to Pat_P
We now have better promotions that may be able to save you money Pat_P

Depending on your account you may or may not renew automatically but you need to call us to get the current promotions (High Speed internet for $20 the first year)

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to Pat_P
said by Pat_P:

My three year contract for Frontier DSL service is expiring soon and it is time to renew. I'm in Rochester, New York and have decided not to switch to Time Warner.

My current charges (all amounts rounded to the nearest dollar and exclusive of taxes, etc)) for a landline and DSL service as follows:

$32 advanced feature landline (includes voicemail, etc)
4 6520 modem (should I ask for a better one?)
30 DSL service

You are paying more for Frontier than you would for Time Warner's better speeds. The taxes and fees you are paying Frontier do not universally apply to Time Warner either, so your out the door price would be better with the cable company in Rochester. Check your bill for garbage fees like "HSI Surcharge," etc. They're all cheesy ways to jack up your bill and could apply when you renew your contract.

Also be careful switching modems... Frontier has been raising the modem rental fees over the past few years.

You can sign for a Time Warner Cable broadband only promo for $29.99 for a year and keep your Frontier phone line, or take it to Time Warner and choose one of their calling plans (local only, state long distance, or nationwide long distance.) If you go to switchtotwc.com, you'll also qualify for a $100 rebate if you switch both services. No contract requirement for Time Warner here in Rochester.

After one year, take three minutes and switch to Earthlink (same network, same speeds) for $29.99 for six months and then take another three minutes six months later and switch back to TWC for another year at the same price. It literally takes minutes and you keep the money in your own pocket.

Frontier has not been doing aggressive promos in the last two quarters because they are trying to preserve cash, so tying yourself to a three year contract with them now is absolutely crazy unless they are handing you a new netbook, TV, or something else. Their early termination fees are outrageous, and expect a lot of high pressure to upsell you on their technical support optional services.

I tried Frontier DSL myself a few years ago and it was awful. The best they could manage in Brighton was 3.1Mbps and the bill was higher than Time Warner was charging for 10Mbps.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
Excellent post Phil. I cannot understand why anyone locally here would wish to stay with Frontier. How they can label their service as being "high speed" is beyond me. Time Warner is head and shoulders above Frontier in more ways than one.
--
DirecTV is pretty neat. If you want a referral ask me.