Click for full size
pole on the street
Click for full size
pole in yard
Click for full size
areal copper drop run
Click for full size
copper drop run
As much as i don't want this there is going to come a day Verizon will tell me Mandate. I live in an old beach cottage converted for year round living years ago. The copper drop run is a bit more then 50' from the street. There is a pole in the yard as well. Here are some pics . I need to determine if this would be standard install or a big special install that i will have to pay for. Also is the possibility they won't install it at all although their computer data base says eligible . P.S. this would be phone and internet double play. Bare with me more pics being uploaded. The trees look worse then they are its along the property line.
norbert26

norbert26

Premium Member

Click for full size
over the roof of back room
Click for full size
stand by until i get this uploaded
Click for full size
service entrance post
Click for full size
copper NID
OK more pics forgive if a few are out of order i will fix captions after uploading. Captions are wrong as i could not see during uploading. Corrections:
1)copper drop going over back room roof
2)service entrance post copper drop is at bottom
3)another shot of the service entrance post
4)outlet to power the ONT in the room below the roof shown
the ground for the meter is right below the NID and the outlet is right near by. Concerns are running the fiber drop over the roof . you cannot get the truck in back here. In other words the service entrance is in the back of the cottage. This was once the summer cottage that came with the big house next door it was later subdivided and sold separately . Is this install doable or do i need to go to cox (already wired for). i think theres one more pic to be uploaded stand by.
norbert26

norbert26

Premium Member

Click for full size
Copper NID
One more pic i beleive its the copper NID then i will correct captions from first upload.
norbert26

norbert26

Premium Member

OK all looks in order have a go at it. Please remember this is old construction .

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to norbert26

Premium Member

to norbert26
said by norbert26:

As much as i don't want this there is going to come a day Verizon will tell me Mandate. I live in an old beach cottage converted for year round living years ago. The copper drop run is a bit more then 50' from the street. There is a pole in the yard as well. Here are some pics . I need to determine if this would be standard install or a big special install that i will have to pay for. Also is the possibility they won't install it at all although their computer data base says eligible . P.S. this would be phone and internet double play. Bare with me more pics being uploaded. The trees look worse then they are its along the property line.

If the website says eligible, then you should be good to go. Only 50 feet should be no big deal at all, and no charge.

Don't fear FiOS - it's a marvelous thing.

Oh, and won't it be nice to not have to wait for the photos to upload?

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to norbert26

to norbert26
said by norbert26:

I need to determine if this would be standard install or a big special install that i will have to pay for.

There aren't any such things with Verizon Fios that I'm aware of. (Frontier Fios is another story.) Anyway, your situation looks unremarkable to me.

Why don't you want it?
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to norbert26

to norbert26
I think you're just fine. I had a 60 foot run from the alley where the FiOs lines were located to the back of my house. No installation problems and no extra charge.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to wmcbrine

Premium Member

to wmcbrine
said by wmcbrine:

said by norbert26:

I need to determine if this would be standard install or a big special install that i will have to pay for.

There aren't any such things with Verizon Fios that I'm aware of. (Frontier Fios is another story.) Anyway, your situation looks unremarkable to me.

Why don't you want it?

it is mainly only me that uses the computer. It looks like netflix is going away or will be swallowed up by the cable industry and go under the HBO GO format hence that will about do in the need for video streaming . Alls i do with the computer other then netflix is read these boards and email and some FB. My elderly mother just checks her email on the old apple computer i set up for her and elderly father does not grasp using a computer. As far as the phone part goes everybody has their own cell phones so the house only needs local unlimited POTS . I pay $30 for the DSL and $21 or so for the POTS. The lowest FiOS offer is for $69 for phone and internet. Granted the phone on FiOS is unlimited everything and has all the fluff but my elderly parents don't understand how to use the fluff and they have their own cell phones. My father has a metro PCS phone with unlimited everything. The internet side if offering speeds i will never use on my own and it looks like video streaming won't even be needed anymore once netflix goes. As far as TV i can't see paying to watch commercials. However it does not matter if i want this or not Verizon will ram it down my throat and force it. I don't think one can even order DSL in this market anymore as they no longer offer DSL / Phone double plays over copper in this market anymore. You must order FiOS . Not even sure if one who orders POTS would even be able to get POTS over copper anymore . I am seeing the end of the copper era whether i like it or not. I will have to shape up or ship out ........if i can't beat them i must join them.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to norbert26

to norbert26
My house is around 150' in from the street and Verizon just ran the fiber to the poll next to my garage with no questions asked and no installation fee.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to norbert26

to norbert26
said by norbert26:

It looks like netflix is going away or will be swallowed up by the cable industry and go under the HBO GO format hence that will about do in the need for video streaming .

Not true. Netflix is looking to partner with cable companies, but that doesn't mean eliminating their retail business. Either way, it will still be delivered over the Internet, as indeed is HBO GO.

JD
@verizon.net

JD to norbert26

Anon

to norbert26
First, photos show it's a standard install.

Second, have you tried to order DSL?

Also, don't forget if you already have copper, you may be able to get provisioned via Megapath.

Existing copper phone and DSL service from Verizon will continue until you get the mandated move to fiber. If that happens, you may end up keeping existing service, although that's hard to guess until there's a better history of forced moves. If other copper subscribers move to fiber, that frees up copper lines and makes it easier for some copper lines to remain in service.

If you order FiOS internet only, you'll get your existing phone service ported over to the fiber, but nothing will change regarding phone features and billing. But if you order internet and phone as part of a bundle, you may get ported over to Digital Voice, and be subject to higher rates if you unbundle.

If you are able to order DSL, do it since your speed requirements are not high, and the price is lower than the slowest FiOS speed tier available. 3/1 FiOS internet is not available as a new customer. Apparently that is reserved for the forced migrations.

Some parts of Oakland Beach area picked arbitrarily are marked as HSI and FiOS not available. If your address is serviceable, try DSL first. 39.99/mo, otherwise FiOS internet at 15/5 is 54.99. Of course these are new subscriber prices, and eventually the price will rise. Even so, Cox prices are a bit higher. And make sure you get the details on installation charges etc, no matter who you get service from. Unless you hit the jackpot with a triple play, all ISPs are charging fees that don't get listed very well. You have to ask a lot of questions.

I can understand why you're looking around. Good luck in your search.

norbert26
Premium Member
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

said by JD :

First, photos show it's a standard install.

Second, have you tried to order DSL?

Also, don't forget if you already have copper, you may be able to get provisioned via Megapath.

Existing copper phone and DSL service from Verizon will continue until you get the mandated move to fiber. If that happens, you may end up keeping existing service, although that's hard to guess until there's a better history of forced moves. If other copper subscribers move to fiber, that frees up copper lines and makes it easier for some copper lines to remain in service.

If you order FiOS internet only, you'll get your existing phone service ported over to the fiber, but nothing will change regarding phone features and billing. But if you order internet and phone as part of a bundle, you may get ported over to Digital Voice, and be subject to higher rates if you unbundle.

If you are able to order DSL, do it since your speed requirements are not high, and the price is lower than the slowest FiOS speed tier available. 3/1 FiOS internet is not available as a new customer. Apparently that is reserved for the forced migrations.

Some parts of Oakland Beach area picked arbitrarily are marked as HSI and FiOS not available. If your address is serviceable, try DSL first. 39.99/mo, otherwise FiOS internet at 15/5 is 54.99. Of course these are new subscriber prices, and eventually the price will rise. Even so, Cox prices are a bit higher. And make sure you get the details on installation charges etc, no matter who you get service from. Unless you hit the jackpot with a triple play, all ISPs are charging fees that don't get listed very well. You have to ask a lot of questions.

I can understand why you're looking around. Good luck in your search.

I have the 3 meg DSL plan and unbundled local POTS.I seen an offer online to get bundled DSL and POTS for $39.99 however not available in my market. Called Verizon told its not offered in my market as they want people to take up FiOS instead. As far as around me most of the houses are rentals. As people moved in and out and ordered TV and internet Verizon ran FiOS into them. There is lots of open copper i am probably only house on the whole street using the copper plant. Is megapath a DSL provider ?

JD
@verizon.net

JD

Anon

If you have existing DSL and phone service, and it is adequate bandwidth, then it makes sense to keep it as is. It's only if you are needing more bandwidth, and are willing to pay the price for the smallest 15/5 FiOS plan, then go ahead and order. If you're looking at the 39.99 internet plus phone, make sure you ask what the price will be in one year after the new customer discount wears off. Be prepared for 59.99.

If you don't need the added bandwidth, don't change until forced to.

Megapath is a DSL provider, among many others.
Use this link. »/psear ··· e+number
CopperMux
join:2005-01-18

CopperMux to norbert26

to norbert26
The only concern I see here is the close proximity of the power to the drops. Maybe the angle of the picture is off but the power attachment is very close to the cable and telco.

Pher9999
join:2011-07-06
Saucier, MS

Pher9999 to norbert26

to norbert26
300' from pole splice to ONT. 40' is inside the house. No charge it's part of the install. Granted my inside work I had Orange fiber innerduct already ran. so it was an easy pull. He struggled more with the trees along the street then anything else.

norbert26
Premium Member
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to CopperMux

Premium Member

to CopperMux
said by CopperMux:

The only concern I see here is the close proximity of the power to the drops. Maybe the angle of the picture is off but the power attachment is very close to the cable and telco.

it may be the angle as the service entrance post is in an awkward location due to an addition that was later added. That said a few years ago there was a problem with the OLD service entrance post that had been there for maybe 50+ years. It started rotting out and a replacement was installed. Shortly after there was a bad ground problem and the electric co came out and had to clean and tighten both the pole on the street and service entrance post sides of the electric drop. Other then this it was OK and passed inspection. My biggest concern is getting the Fiber drop OVER the roof as you can't get a bucket in. If that can be overcome i imagine they can put the fiber drop between the cable drop (2nd drop below electric drop) and the telco copper drop (lowest drop) . P.S. verizon has also been here TWICE in the last few years . Once to remove bridged taps from the copper line and 2nd time to change out the 2nd part of the copper line to a different pair that runs through a tunnel to the CO up off the main road.