London, ON

rocca to jasmo34

Premium Member

to jasmo34

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

Good question, not sure yet.

@pathcom.com

Anon

Quick question: If I rent a modem on the Basic or Standard Cable package, will it be a D2 or D3? Can I specify that I want a D3 on either package (in the event that I want to move to a higher speed in a few months, for example)?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Guest :

Quick question: If I rent a modem on the Basic or Standard Cable package, will it be a D2 or D3? Can I specify that I want a D3 on either package (in the event that I want to move to a higher speed in a few months, for example)?

The basic/standard come with a D2 modem. Unfortunately we can't ship D3 modems unless you're ordering an advanced package. You can of course purchase a D3 modem and self-supply.
zacsaunders
join:2012-05-12

zacsaunders

Hello rocca, I ordered your cable internet service a few weeks ago and the rogers cut off date was today, just wondering how long will I continue to be without internet before it kicks in? School starting and I am dependent on it..

Also another question, with rogers upgrading their upstream channels and modulation will start be seeing higher upload speeds as well?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to being a start customer!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by zacsaunders:

Hello rocca, I ordered your cable internet service a few weeks ago and the rogers cut off date was today, just wondering how long will I continue to be without internet before it kicks in? School starting and I am dependent on it..

Also another question, with rogers upgrading their upstream channels and modulation will start be seeing higher upload speeds as well?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to being a start customer!

Hi Zac.

If you're transferring and keeping your same modem, then it should be switched over earlier in the morning - ie usually around 9am, but occasionally I've seen it go a bit later in the afternoon.

In regards to the upload speeds, yes as the incumbent packages change we'll have access to those as well.

Thanks and welcome aboard!
zacsaunders

zacsaunders

Thanks for the fast reply! I really appreciate it.
StanMarsh
join:2012-09-05
Dundas, ON

StanMarsh to rocca

to rocca
Hey,

I just finished spending my first 2.5 hrs at work reading through all 59 pages.

I had Cogeco for 3 years, and recently they didn't show for an install at our new address. Their c.s was unwilling to do ANYTHING to help the situation, so I started looking for a new ISP (already dropped their digital cable in favour of satellite). It took a little while, but I found Start and was hesitantly optimistic at first.

I was unaware of the CRTC legislation that allowed them to use the Cogeco lines. I called in and talked to a very helpful lady who answered all my ?'s effectively and accurately. Needless to say I called Cogeco soon after and told them where to stick it.

Called Start back and signed up. I'm now just awaiting the confirmation email/phone call with the exact date and the modem to be mailed etc. etc.

I have to commend Rocca, and everyone else in this thread...I have received more, (and better) customer service here in 2.5hrs than I ever did combined from Cogeco.... and I haven't even been activated yet! Huge props to what Start is doing. All the reviews I've seen have been glowing, and there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a very wise decision!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by StanMarsh:

Hey,

I just finished spending my first 2.5 hrs at work reading through all 59 pages....

....I have to commend Rocca, and everyone else in this thread...I have received more, (and better) customer service here in 2.5hrs than I ever did combined from Cogeco.... and I haven't even been activated yet! Huge props to what Start is doing. All the reviews I've seen have been glowing, and there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a very wise decision!

And as they grow, hopefully START can maintain the same level of attentiveness, caring, expertise, and fairness which they have shown us so far.

Cogeco ? - Well they are another story - See my and a few others' posts in that forum for the lowdown - that is if you even NEED one.

BTW, if you like reading, there is a forum here for START, where most threads are not of mammoth page count, and generally try to cover specific topics.

The link is at the bottom of my post.

Cheers and Welcome !
taytong888
join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

taytong888 to rocca

to rocca
Hello rocca,

I got a few questions about upload rate:

1. What is the minimum upload rate that is good for VOIP applications?

Is 512 kbps good? I am subscribing to Start's standard cable, i.e. 18 Mbps down and 512 kbps up. Not sure if this is good enough for VOIP. I forgot the link to a web page that test VOIP quality, e.g. jitter.

2. How come Cogeco gives a higher upload rate than the Red Barron?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

newcustomer
@start.ca

newcustomer to rocca

Anon

to rocca
Just joined. Smooth change over, all I had to do was change the modem.

Getting smooth speeds and no caps for now...!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to taytong888

Premium Member

to taytong888
said by taytong888:

Is 512 kbps good? I am subscribing to Start's standard cable, i.e. 18 Mbps down and 512 kbps up. Not sure if this is good enough for VOIP. I forgot the link to a web page that test VOIP quality, e.g. jitter.

1. The minimum rate for VoIP is about 16Kbps (ie VoIP on dialup works fine) provided you have QoS that sets aside that capacity for its packets. The larger the upload capacity the less important QoS is because it's less frequent you hit max the capacity.

2. It's just how they decided to set the profiles.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to taytong888

to taytong888
said by taytong888:

Hello rocca,

I got a few questions about upload rate:

Technically, 64Kbps will work. Realistically, you should have a minimum of 128 or 256Kbps on the upstream, in case you have other traffic running at the same time.
said by taytong888:

512Kbps is plenty, however, you will still probably want to configure some sort of QoS on your router to give VoIP preference on your network.

www.pingtest.net works for me, but you can run all sorts of tests. Just don't take the results of a single test and expect those to be absolute. There are a lot of reasons why a single test or site isn't giving you the entire picture.
said by taytong888:

Rogers is still trying to figure out their channels and is in the midst of releasing higher upload speeds.
said by taytong888:

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Sorry, I'm not Rocca, but I hope this helps.
AndrewG2
join:2006-01-20
Niagara Falls, ON

AndrewG2 to taytong888

to taytong888
said by taytong888:

The minimum minimum is very low, like 2 or 3 kilobytes per second, diallup modem speeds.... but that does depend on what your VOIP box or application supports, some of them might not use the best compression, or any, since some other voice protocols get referred to as VOIP, but even those in isolation probably stay under 10 kilobytes/second.

512kpbs "should" support both lowest netflix bitrate and VOIP at once to give you some idea.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to taytong888

to taytong888
nvm... my post appeared up top already.
zacsaunders

zacsaunders to rocca

to rocca
Hello rocca, after using the service for a few days I am extremely pleased and have referred a friend to the service.

They currently have DSL with bell but have issues with the lines and want to use cable for the internet, is it possible to keep the dsl lines for their home phone and get a cable line for internet? Also because they have no cable internet what would the install procedures be and how long would it take from order date till they have full service.

Thanks again!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by zacsaunders:

Hello rocca, after using the service for a few days I am extremely pleased and have referred a friend to the service.

Thank you very much for the referral!
said by zacsaunders:

They currently have DSL with bell but have issues with the lines and want to use cable for the internet, is it possible to keep the dsl lines for their home phone and get a cable line for internet? Also because they have no cable internet what would the install procedures be and how long would it take from order date till they have full service.

No problem at all keeping their Bell phone service - the cable service would be completely separate. The install process for a new location is that they'd place the order, pick some requested dates (usually about 5 business days out) and we'd try to match them the best we can. On the installation day a technician comes out, connects the cable to the house and tests the jack and makes sure signal is good to go. Customer plugs in the modem and they are up and running.

Thanks again and have a great night.

Kr0zet
@rogers.com

Kr0zet to rocca

Anon

to rocca
So I have to admit I did not read 60 pages of replies so if this question was answered already I apologize...

I moved into Simcoe Landing last year and found out that I have no Bell lines at all as the subdivision builder ran Fiber To The Home. Problem is, that was 10 years ago and they sold out to rogers who dumped the FTTH and ran cable to everyone... So I had one option ONLY when I wanted internet (I checked with Multiple ISP's). I signed on for a year contract which is up Oct. 11th.

1. Can I get Start Cable Internet? I put my postal code into the online lookup and it says I can get Cable or DSL. I CANNOT get DSL as I have no phone lines running to my house, let alone subdivision... So I am wary of cancelling Robbers only to find out I cannot get cable... Postal Code is L4P 4A8

2. since I am an existing cable internet subscriber what is the process for switching? I am renting a modem from Robbers so it will be returned and I will be buying a proper modem with QOS.

3. I dont have a 3, I just want to say that if Start is available i will be switching ASAP!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Kr0zet :

1. Can I get Start Cable Internet? I put my postal code into the online lookup and it says I can get Cable or DSL. I CANNOT get DSL as I have no phone lines running to my house, let alone subdivision... So I am wary of cancelling Robbers only to find out I cannot get cable... Postal Code is L4P 4A8

2. since I am an existing cable internet subscriber what is the process for switching? I am renting a modem from Robbers so it will be returned and I will be buying a proper modem with QOS.

3. I dont have a 3, I just want to say that if Start is available i will be switching ASAP!

1. Sure can, we have lots of happy cable customers is Keswick.

2. You'll need to get a cancellation date with Rogers, it will likely be 30 days out, then give us a call or signup online and let us know that date and we'll co-ordinate the transfer - it's pretty easy and painless. Just a quick side note about the QoS comment, you'd want it in the router since the modem is just a dumb bridging device.

3. Welcome aboard, we'd love to have you with us!

Thanks and have a great day.

Kr0zet
@rogers.com

Kr0zet

Anon

Do you support the Motorola SB6121? I have found excellent reviews and I have can get it for about $20 cheaper than the DCM476 on Start's webpage.
Beenaround
join:2012-08-14
Kitchener, ON

Beenaround to rocca

to rocca
I find the upload speeds quite odd, until you go up to the 25mg package.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Kr0zet

Premium Member

to Kr0zet
said by Kr0zet :

Do you support the Motorola SB6121? I have found excellent reviews and I have can get it for about $20 cheaper than the DCM476 on Start's webpage.

Based on your realm under your name, yes the SB6121 is supported in the area you are.
rocca

rocca to Beenaround

Premium Member

to Beenaround
said by Beenaround:

I find the upload speeds quite odd, until you go up to the 25mg package.

The upload speeds have to match what the underlying cable carrier is also offering. Generally speaking, downloads are faster with cable, uploads are faster with DSL. We offer either service so happy to make sure you get the best type of service for your particular need.

Kr0zet
@rogers.com

Kr0zet to rocca

Anon

to rocca
Ordered an SB6162 and a Netgear WNDR3700. Will cancel Rogers Monday, get my cancellation date and call Start.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Kr0zet :

Ordered an SB6162 and a Netgear WNDR3700.

Just to make sure, that's a typo? Should be a SB6121.... (just want to make sure so you don't end up with something you can't use)

tatty
join:2002-02-23
North York, ON

tatty to rocca

to rocca
hey rocca,

When are you going to sell the DCM476 modem for the Cogeco area? I'm just waiting for that before ordering!

Start Laurie
Premium Member
join:2011-09-09
London, ON

Start Laurie

Premium Member

When signing up online just put a comment you would like a DCM476 or if you call in tell the sales agent and we can have one sent out to you. These are for purchase only, rentals will still be DPC3000 until our stock is depleted.
bestjsg6
join:2002-03-13
Markham, Ont

bestjsg6 to rocca

to rocca
Hello Rocca,

I am about a month away from my Bell contract expiry, and would like to go with your standard 18MB cable, reliability is more than anything in my case, so I wanted to have the cable internet setup a few days ahead and make sure it is running great before cancelling with Bell DSL, can I just rent the modem for one month and then purchase a DOCSIS 3 modem from you guys ? how would that work out re: shipping fee, maybe $ 5 rental credit towards new etc ?

btw, I spoke to a lady at your company today, very good customer service , very patient and took the time to treat me as a potential value customer.. thumb up.!

thanks in advance.

tatty
join:2002-02-23
North York, ON

tatty to Start Laurie

to Start Laurie
said by Start Laurie:

When signing up online just put a comment you would like a DCM476 or if you call in tell the sales agent and we can have one sent out to you. These are for purchase only, rentals will still be DPC3000 until our stock is depleted.

Thanks for the info! I put in my order yesterday. I'm really looking forward to disconnecting Bell

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to bestjsg6

Premium Member

to bestjsg6
said by bestjsg6:

I am about a month away from my Bell contract expiry, and would like to go with your standard 18MB cable, reliability is more than anything in my case, so I wanted to have the cable internet setup a few days ahead and make sure it is running great before cancelling with Bell DSL, can I just rent the modem for one month and then purchase a DOCSIS 3 modem from you guys ? how would that work out re: shipping fee, maybe $ 5 rental credit towards new etc ?

Thanks for the questions and looking forward to having you with us. If you're ordering the Standard package then the modem shipped on a rental would be a DOCSIS 2 modem. If you wanted the D3 you'd need to order the Advanced, or just purchase the modem instead of renting. As for the question about renting for a month and then purchasing it, yes no problem but you won't get a credit for the one month rental since we're picking up the shipping cost. Discounts available on purchase-existing-rental-modem apply after 4 months, there is some automatic formula that generates the available 'buy out' price. If you're going to buy the modem it's definitely cheaper just to do it from the start instead of waiting a month.
said by bestjsg6:

btw, I spoke to a lady at your company today, very good customer service , very patient and took the time to treat me as a potential value customer.. thumb up.!

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.
nirajshah7
join:2008-11-12
Markham, ON

nirajshah7 to rocca

to rocca
Hey Rocca... any update on high speeds in "RED" area ??