how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SeanD1972

@cgocable.net
reply to ZOMGIcouldp

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

I still don't understand what I need to do in order to get the $50 fee waived. I am on Cogeco internet and want to switch but what do I say to Cogeco about my current services ? Do I call Start Communications and they deal with Cogeco ? I really can't afford to end up paying $50 I don't have to pay by mistake.

ZOMGIcouldp

@204.45.133.x
reply to rocca
I check the mail each day waiting for my box from start.ca

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to rocca
I am so damn excited to get STARTed. I got Shawdirect coming tomorrow and then when Start is up and going I will be rid of Gougeco.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to cableordsl
said by cableordsl :

Is there a way to get around the $50 installation fee or reduce it? If I don't have a active cable internet, it sounds like I could save me some money if I sign with Cogeco first ($30 installation fee) then switch to Start ($50 installation fee waved). Granted, I would not do that because of the hassle, but..

Sorry no, we pay close to $70 for it and only charge our customers $50.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

....As for the pre-orders themselves, most of them will start going in tomorrow or Monday and as expected with installation dates late next week or early the following.

Thanks everyone for your patience over the past two weeks.

UPDATE :

My Cogeco account finish has been postponed by 8 days, and will now cut off at the end of April 9th.

I guess that all I need now is for a modem to be shipped to me from START, and to be advised when to connect it.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Things are looking good. The initial expected date during announcement was around the 21st, that got pushed back 'two weeks' which would put us around April 4th and we're expecting that our general availability will be ready for about then (ie give or take a day) at which time the web site and order form etc will be updated to reflect the Cogeco offering as GA.

As for the pre-orders themselves, most of them will start going in tomorrow or Monday and as expected with installation dates late next week or early the following.

Thanks.

I'll ask Cogeco to postpone my cutoff from end of the 1st to end of the 8th, and then see how next week proceeds.
--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

cableordsl

@queensu.ca
reply to rocca
Is there a way to get around the $50 installation fee or reduce it? If I don't have a active cable internet, it sounds like I could save me some money if I sign with Cogeco first ($30 installation fee) then switch to Start ($50 installation fee waved). Granted, I would not do that because of the hassle, but..

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Just wondering aloud, also for the rest of us here, what sort of update you have received today from Cogeco, regarding the timing and progress in fulfilling your/our orders for their territory ? Have they completed their preparations and do you still figure that Friday might be the official launch day ?

Things are looking good. The initial expected date during announcement was around the 21st, that got pushed back 'two weeks' which would put us around April 4th and we're expecting that our general availability will be ready for about then (ie give or take a day) at which time the web site and order form etc will be updated to reflect the Cogeco offering as GA.

As for the pre-orders themselves, most of them will start going in tomorrow or Monday and as expected with installation dates late next week or early the following.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to rawashdeh
said by rawashdeh:

Any news about the Cogeco launch? I would like to know an actual date (not pre-order info), otherwise might just take up the dsl special no installation for March as I would really like to have internet soon.

Everything is in good shape, our interconnect is up and most of the areas are numbered, test orders are in and fully expect to be general availability by end of next week. Most of the pre-orders will begin processing tomorrow or Monday.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to rocca

I think this post may have gotten lost in the shuffle here, OR else Rocco, er I mean Rocca might have been busy twisting arms at Cogeco yesterday, hehehe....

However, I need to tell Cogeco something today about extending my cutoff date, and maybe some others do too.

said by rocca:

(March 7th)
We're pleased to announce our new TPIA services which are soft-launching today in Rogers territories and coming to Cogeco in a couple weeks. More details are available on our web site at www.start.ca/services/highspeed or if you have any questions just let me know. Thanks.

Just wondering aloud, also for the rest of us here, what sort of update you have received today from Cogeco, regarding the timing and progress in fulfilling your/our orders for their territory ?

Have they completed their preparations and do you still figure that Friday might be the official launch day ?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Steveb1986
said by Steveb1986:

said by Mr Smith :

Cogeco - Ultimate 30 - 30 Mbps/2 175 gig for $59.95

The ultimate 30 is actually $69.95.

It's only $59.95 if you have a bundle. So you save roughly $16.90 assuming you pay $5/month for a rental otherwise you save $22.55/month. I'd say that's a pretty big saving.

On top of the 125 extra GB's, start only charges $0.50/GB extra where Cogeco charges $1.00/GB extra....

What HE said !

However, I did receive a bulk snailmail handbill from GOUGEco during 1st week of March, where I think they were offering a $10 break from Ultimate 30 and 50 plans without a bundle, but only if you locked in for a year (ugh, contract ).

However, when I gave their CS reps the chance to confirm it and maybe offer it to me during my cancellation calls, they knew not of the promo.

Methinks I should apply for a position of 'Trainer' for CS call centres.

GOUGEco is not the only ISP/IISP who could benefit from someone bringing them up to speed about once a week on recent developments, both internal and with their competition, IMNSHO.
--

-

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to Steveb1986
said by Steveb1986:

said by Mr Smith :

The ultimate 30 is actually $69.95. It's only $59.95 if you have a bundle. So you save roughly $16.90 assuming you pay $5/month for a rental otherwise you save $22.55/month. I'd say that's a pretty big saving.
On top of the 125 extra GB's, start only charges $0.50/GB extra where Cogeco charges $1.00/GB extra.
Plus Start/Rocca mentioned the possibility of an unlimited package (no promise on that yet I don't think).

Win...win...win. At least for me

And, given the general CS stories I've heard out of Cogeco, better support contacts.

Steveb1986

join:2011-09-01
Hamilton, ON
reply to Mr Smith
said by Mr Smith :

The ultimate 30 is actually $69.95. It's only $59.95 if you have a bundle. So you save roughly $16.90 assuming you pay $5/month for a rental otherwise you save $22.55/month. I'd say that's a pretty big saving.

On top of the 125 extra GB's, start only charges $0.50/GB extra where Cogeco charges $1.00/GB extra.

Plus Start/Rocca mentioned the possibility of an unlimited package (no promise on that yet I don't think).

Win...win...win. At least for me

docbg

join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON
reply to Mr Smith
You nailed it. I was also initially excited about a Cogeco alternative but for a $5 difference, it simply isn't worth the hassle of switching unless the extra bandwidth is really important to you.

The deal, as it stands, just isn't enticing enough unless you need the 300gb. I rarely cross the 100gb mark so the speed, stability and reliability of Ultimate 30 suits me just fine.

said by Mr Smith :

Yeah..not so sure here as well....

Initially got excited about having a Cogeco alternative but in comparison...
Start - Advanced Cable Internet 20 Mbps/1.5 300 gig for $49.95 +$5 modem rental

So...I can save $5 but Cogeco is 50% faster. Start give me 125 gigs more; but possible network congestion. (In my area I never see the speed drop)

There is no compelling reason unless you want the extra 125 gig...if Start included the modem like Cogeco does that would be more appealing.

my current Cogeco Grade A
»www.speedtest.net/result/1862987520.png

Steveb1986

Hamilton, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Also, ROCCO = a name normally associated with a 'tough guy' persona.

(actually is Rocca - and I'd bet that this typo happens fairly frequently)

Woops lol...Yes Rocca NOT Rocco haha

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

3 edits
reply to Mr Smith
The way Start is setup with aggregate POI and rocca's promise not to oversell you would only get the same network congestion as Rogers/Cogeco's own network.

The only differences on base tiers are really extra bandwidth (not necessary in my parent's or grandma's case) and maybe better routing and download speeds on the west coast and overseas.

The TPIA agreements must be too expensive and noncompetitive to start with if none of the other ISPs regular price can beat Rogers own promos.

The basic packages are just overpriced across the board for 2012. It's like Canadians love paying above world prices for everything. /rant

Mr Smith

@cgocable.net
reply to xfinisherx
Yeah..not so sure here as well....

Initially got excited about having a Cogeco alternative but in comparison...
Start - Advanced Cable Internet 20 Mbps/1.5 300 gig for $49.95 +$5 modem rental

So...I can save $5 but Cogeco is 50% faster. Start give me 125 gigs more; but possible network congestion. (In my area I never see the speed drop)

There is no compelling reason unless you want the extra 125 gig...if Start included the modem like Cogeco does that would be more appealing.

my current Cogeco Grade A
»www.speedtest.net/result/1862987520.png

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

4 edits
reply to rocca
I found it interesting that including modem rental the most "lucrative" unadvertised promo Rogers offers now for Lite (half off for 6 months 1 year contract) averages out to the same price as Start's regular offering.

Rogers Lite promo: 39.99*6 + 19.995*6 = 359.91/12 = $29.99
Start Basic regular: $29.95 (free activation)
Tek Lite regular: 24.95*12 + 65 (Activation) = 364.4/12 = $30.36

Of course Rogers throws in a free install as well for brand new activations. Either way it sucks nobody is going lower than that for 3000/256 even when you bring your own modem.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to wkim75
said by wkim75:

said by wkim75:

2. What's the proper steps....

I don't think this was addressed...

I believe that it was, somewhere earlier in the current thread (I know you didn't want to hear that).

On START's website, on the rate plan pages, there is something about waiving the install fee (which applies only to online orders, IIRC).

To qualify for the fee waive, you apparently have to still have an active account with another cable provider in your area at the time that you PLACE your ONLINE order for START Cable internet (Rogers, Cogeco, or another Indie, if I understand it correctly).

Might be better to first review their website, rather than this whole thread.

Also, I hear that Cogeco allows multiple accounts on the same wire, but Rogers does not.

This will influence the logistics of your original question too.

For the best possible answer, I would also suggest making a new thread, either here and/or in the START forum (link below), as plenty of folks will want to be clear on things like these.

--

-

wkim75

join:2008-11-03
Oakville, ON
reply to wkim75
said by wkim75:

2. What's the proper steps one should take to ensure the service is transitioned over nicely, and not abruptly cut off and require a service tech to come out again?

I don't think this was addressed...

Do I order *and* cancel cogeco, or will the process of starting service with Start automatically submit a cancellation? (like when you port your cell number over to a new provider)

rawashdeh

join:2005-05-17
Toronto, ON
reply to rocca
Any news about the Cogeco launch? I would like to know an actual date (not pre-order info), otherwise might just take up the dsl special no installation for March as I would really like to have internet soon.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by Davesnothere:

However, Rogers does not want the Indie ISPs to mention their name any more.

That only applies to the Indies, not to the customers, so I for one will continue to refer to the incumbents by thinly veiled sarcastic names, as we've been doing all along. ....

Never mind the veils - what d'ya t'ink dis is - a Wedding ?

I really dunno why Rogers is so thin-skinned.

OTOH, Cogeco's position seems more like "Call us whatever you want, as long as you PAY us !"

Rogers actually does a pretty decent job on my cell service - their PAYG voice plans are not too badly priced, and fairly flexible, and they offer several reasonable semi-smart phones for under $100 outright.

--

-

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

However, Rogers does not want the Indie ISPs to mention their name any more.

That only applies to the Indies, not to the customers so I for one will continue to refer to the incumbents by thinly veiled sarcastic names as we've been doing all along.

They're gona hafta twist some arms if they wants me to stop. Muah-hahaha-ha!

--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1, Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1, Dupont POI, eXtreme Cable Pr0 28/1:4/4 Unlimited.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

We're pleased to announce our new TPIA services which are soft-launching today in Rogers territories and coming to Cogeco in a couple weeks. More details are available on our web site at www.start.ca/services/highspeed or if you have any questions just let me know. Thanks.

Just wondering aloud, also for the rest of us here, what sort of update you have received today from Cogeco, regarding the timing and progress in fulfilling your/our orders for their territory ?

Have they completed their preparations and do you still figure that Friday might be the official launch day ?

--

-

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to Steveb1986
said by Steveb1986:

"* Please note cable service is not available in Cogeco areas until April." - [Fine print]

However I think if you just sign up they will take care of you. This is what I did and I'm in a Cogeco area. Sign up over a week ago.
Rocco / Start seem pretty good with responding and customer service so you should be fine

That particular fine print was not there when I placed my order earlier this month, but there IS a Notes/Comments box on the 2nd page of the online order form, where you can mention anything which might be unique to your situation.

START is still accepting orders for Cogeco-Land, and queueing them for processing when Cogeco is ready with their part of things, possibly/hopefully before this weekend.

Mayhaps SLOWgeco would be a more apt name for the one incumbent provider who is partnering for this offering.

What we are presently seeing is the Rogers version of START's web order form.

However, Rogers does not want the Indie ISPs to mention their name any more .

Be aware that a few things may be different between the Cogeco and Rogers versions of the START plans : Speeds, modem models, scheduling of tech visits, etc.

But the names and prices of the packages - and their monthly usage caps - those are consistent.

Also, ROCCO = a name normally associated with a 'tough guy' persona.

(actually is Rocca - and I'd bet that this typo happens fairly frequently)

--

-

Steveb1986

Hamilton, ON
reply to khronlk
"* Please note cable service is not available in Cogeco areas until April."
Fine print.

However I think if you just sign up they will take care of you. This is what I did and I'm in a Cogeco area. Sign up over a week ago.
Rocco / Start seem pretty good with responding and customer service so you should be fine

khronlk

join:2009-10-26
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to ZOMGIcouldp
Still not seeing anything to "sign up" with a service from a Cogeco territory, yes I can see what they offer but when you click sign up it only have rogers speeds when you select a service. Don't be smug with a answer if you didn't read the post to begin with.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

with khronik mentioning the whole contract thing I am not sure I can get out of my internet with Cogeco

I have free PVR til Nov. 10th, 2013 and $5 off my home phone and digital basic into mid to late 2012 but I see no promotional discount at all for my internet and so with that said does anyone think I am good to switch internet to Start because of that ?

No such thing as cannot get out.

As for the costs, going from 3 GOUGEco services to 2 should not increase what the 2 cost.

From 2 to 1, you would lose the $10 or more of bundle discount.

To test this, go to their website and make like a new customer with their bundle-building wizard.

Unless you are grandfathered into something not offered anymore, you should get a fairly close idea of what to expect.
--

-

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to bt
bt I know the $10 will go down to $5 off but as for the free PVR I don't know

in regards to calling Cogeco after dealing with them yesterday and getting a headache from it I am not really interested in calling them today so hoping someone who is in the same position as me may be able to post an answer here

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to DeViLzzz
Call Cogeco and ask. Some of those discounts might be due to having 3 services, though they might not include a fixed term contract.