k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Gone

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by Gone:

When someone is making an otherwise completely unreasonable request, you're damn right we want to know why.

Well, running servers from home is not an unreasonable request. But you know, police state, RoBellUs sucks, and all that...

Personally I think worrying about the exact TOS is kind of pointless--what you don't read can't hurt you--but I understand why he'd like what he's asking for.
--
electronicsguru.ca

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Teddy Boom:

Well, running servers from home is not an unreasonable request. But you know, police state, RoBellUs sucks, and all that...
Personally I think worrying about the exact TOS is kind of pointless--what you don't read can't hurt you--but I understand why he'd like what he's asking for.

Requesting a permissive statement in a TOS about running servers was what was unreasonable, not the servers in themselves.

Who cares

@videotron.ca
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Who cares :

Does it really matter? Does anyone really need to pry into his private life and need to know what he does on the net?

When someone is making an otherwise completely unreasonable request, you're damn right we want to know why.

It's not unreasonable. Nor is what he does, or want, any of your business.

His question is very straight forward:
said by mlord:

I need the TOS to explicitly permit running (low bandwidth) servers.

Cheers

I don't see the issue.

As far as I see it, if the TOS does not state servers are forbidden, then one can accept that it is allowed.

In addition Start states:
We do not attempt to censor, control or monitor any such content or activity

So again, this shows that yes, you can run a server 24/7. They won't control or monitor what you use it for. Start says so right there. It's pretty plain and easy to read & understand. Only Mlord doesn't seem to grasp the easy and plain language of the ToS.

So yeah, run an xDCC bot, proxy, bounce, and whatever else you want. They don't care. They even state that.

Maybe mlord runs a 56K dial-up service that connects to his cable. Who cares. Start doesn't.

Actually, Rocca, I like your ToS. It isn't mind numbing. Thumbs up to that.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Who cares :

It's not unreasonable. Nor is what he does, or want, any of your business.

It is unreasonable when one knows understands the context of a TOS. If you feel differently, you can then count yourself as someone who doesn't know what a TOS is for or what it does.

As for it being anyone's business, it became our business the moment he posted to a public Internet forum about it.

FaxCaps

@start.ca
reply to rocca
*whistles* Still waiting

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
said by FaxCaps :

*whistles* Still waiting

Did I miss something ...or waiting for someone else? (only ask because it was the OP that was quoted). Thanks.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Who cares
said by Who cares :

Actually, Rocca, I like your ToS. It isn't mind numbing. Thumbs up to that.

Thanks, we try to be decent folk here.

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON
reply to rocca
I got a question about Start as a company. Usually when there is a small company out there that does well (in this case Start), the bigger company (Cogeco or Rogers) will take out the smaller guy.
Will this ever happen to Start that they will go out of business? I hope not!
That is my only worry about going to Start is that they will go out of business. Hopefully that will never happen.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
We've been around almost 20 years now, no plans on going any where any time soon.

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON
That is very good news.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone
Just heard the following in Teksavvy forum.. »Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by TSI Marc:

Looks like we're going to have to go to the CRTC.

On aggregated TPIA, they're giving the higher speeds along with a higher cost.. yet, their own users did not get a price change. This is not allowed.

For disaggregated, what we're on. They're saying we dont get the upgrades at all. Also not allowed.

CNOC submitted a Request for Enforcement of Speed-Matching Requirement earlier today.

*sigh*

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
reply to rocca
I'm getting some strange behavior on Cogeco. I'm actively seeing throttling on torrents, yet my http, nntp and streaming is not effected.

I'm not able to exceed 9.9kb/s on any torrent since this morning. The peers can burst well above the max speed my line is capable of, so I'm concerned that Cogeco is up to no good.

Any recommended tests I can do to see if ISP interference is a cause.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by I_H8_Spam:

Any recommended tests I can do to see if ISP interference is a cause.

»broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparen ··· test.php

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
came back negative, I'll have to look elsewhere.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
Anybody down in London, Ottawa or Toronto right now?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
We're getting some reports from Toronto, investigating.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
k

Ironmike

join:2009-02-18
Brantford, ON
Start cable is down for me in Brantford right now.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc
It's scattered around Ontario, ie some areas in London reachable, others not, same with Toronto, Guelph, etc. We have a ticket in.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit
said by rocca:

It's scattered around Ontario, ie some areas in London reachable, others not, same with Toronto, Guelph, etc. We have a ticket in.

Apparent wide-spread outages...
said by TSI Marc, in another galaxy... :

WOW.

So, I guess we know that Rogers got their copy of CNOC's letter to CRTC enforcement!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to rocca
:\ not cool!

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:9
reply to rocca
Both my Distributel connections are down in Guelph.

I've also seen CCS trucks all over this past week... I know Rogers is doing something.

arshad14

join:2007-03-04
Scarborough, ON
reply to rocca
Seems like Rogers is having issues all across Ontario. I just called Start tech line for Scarborough, and they said they have a ticket in because it is all across Ontario including all of Rogers.

My buddy who lives in Bowmanville was having the same issues in his building and he was with Rogers. They are saying it is because of the new modems or something or other. Hope it is back up soon. I think their speed boost is giving them more issues than they thought and their transitions is causing them more headache than they thought.

arshad14

Scarborough, ON
reply to rocca
Seems like it's not just us on Start having the issues. Rogers clients as far as Bowmaville, I'm in Scarborough, is having issues too. My buddy on Rogers in Bowmanville said his entire building went out because of the "new modems" according to Rogers. Their speed boost is causing them more headaches than they thought I guess. The transition to the new speeds aren't going too well for them I guess. I just hope we don't have to buy new modems again because Rogers is giving out new modems to get the new speeds according to Rogers.

zacsaunders

join:2012-05-12
reply to rocca
Also down in Oshawa! Thank god I can tether to my phone.. lots of assignments due today ;P

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Just came back online.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:9
reply to rocca
Yup, both of my connections are working now.

zacsaunders

join:2012-05-12
reply to rocca
mines still down ...

Start Laurie
Premium
join:2011-09-09
London, ON
kudos:1
Can you please try a factory reset on your modem. If that doesn't work please PM me and I can get it looked at. Thanks!

arshad14

Scarborough, ON
reply to rocca
I'm back up in Scarborough as well. Wonder what happened. Is there any way to find out?