Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BThunderW

join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON
reply to bt

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

I would definitely sign up whatever the fastest upload tier they have. Don't care about download speed.

Laidback

join:2001-09-30
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca

I guess Rogers caught up to me finally. After getting solid 40-50 on a 28 mbit connection, the last week its been 10-15

I'm going to test wife's laptop tonight to see if it's the same or possibly my setup.

docbill

join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to damir52

In Cogeco, I'm getting »speedtest.net/result/2318314523.png Since I'm subscribed to advanced, not PRO, I would conclude there is a speedboost.

docbill

join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to damir52

Sorry for the double post.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to docbill

said by docbill:

In Cogeco, I'm getting »speedtest.net/result/2318314523.png Since I'm subscribed to advanced, not PRO, I would conclude there is a speedboost.

It's not Speedboost. For some reason you seem to be on the 30/2 profile.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by silvercat:

said by docbill:

It's not Speedboost. For some reason you seem to be on the 30/2 profile.

Ye, you are def on the wrong profile. We need to track you down and lower your profile Just kidding! Enjoy while it lasts!

BThunderW

Cambridge, ON
reply to rocca

Any word on the faster upload tiers for Start in Red zone? Can we expect these or this is Red customers only?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by BThunderW:

Any word on the faster upload tiers for Start in Red zone? Can we expect these or this is Red customers only?

Still pending CRTC decision. Might have an answer next week if we're lucky, but more likely sometime in early December.

Start does have access to them as it stands, but it's a question of if it will be at current prices or not.

BThunderW

Cambridge, ON

Ah, gotcha. So it's not a matter of if, just of when and for how much then?

bt

canada

Rocca could say for sure, but that sounds about right to me.

They could start offering them right now, but it doesn't really make sense for them to roll out new offerings when they might be changing within a matter of weeks. And paying the new prices Rogers wants might not help the case against Rogers over it.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

said by bt:

Rocca could say for sure, but that sounds about right to me.

They could start offering them right now, but it doesn't really make sense for them to roll out new offerings when they might be changing within a matter of weeks. And paying the new prices Rogers wants might not help the case against Rogers over it.

They aren't available to us yet and I don't believe we'll see them until the Commission has granted approval, be it interim or final.

bt

canada

said by rocca:

They aren't available to us yet and I don't believe we'll see them until the Commission has granted approval, be it interim or final.

I stand corrected.

I suppose it makes sense though - they either need to approve the new tariffs, or slap Rogers down and say "No, these go under the old tariffs" first.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

As an expedited process, (looking through previous expedited processes), expect 2-4 weeks after the final filing (Rogers' final response on Nov 27th) for a decision. So, maybe before Christmas.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Laidback

join:2001-09-30
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Laidback

said by Laidback:

I guess Rogers caught up to me finally. After getting solid 40-50 on a 28 mbit connection, the last week its been 10-15

I'm going to test wife's laptop tonight to see if it's the same or possibly my setup.

I forgot to update this. Turned out to be a router setting. I had to change a setting to get my xbox live to connect for an update and forgot to change it back. All's well again.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Excellent, thanks for the follow-up and glad everything is well.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24

and finally 2nd connection is up, everything is working perfectly on both connections i ordered, thanks start !
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Thank you! Glad to have you with us.

joolsca

join:2005-04-13
Toronto, ON
reply to rocca

I am switching to Start from Rogers in Dec. I have a Motorola SB5100 that works fine and gives the 18mbps that I will be signing up with Start for. I have heard people can continue to use the SB5100 with Start even though it is not the exact SurfBoard approved model.
Can anyone verify I can keep this modem on Start?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Unfortunately not, the SB5100 has been decertified from that network and is not allowed for any new orders or changes.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to joolsca

said by joolsca:

I am switching to Start from Rogers in Dec. I have a Motorola SB5100 that works fine and gives the 18mbps that I will be signing up with Start for. I have heard people can continue to use the SB5100 with Start even though it is not the exact SurfBoard approved model.
Can anyone verify I can keep this modem on Start?

Just say that it's an SB5101 when you make your order.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

1 edit

said by JCohen:

That _might_ work if it hadn't already been registered in Red's database. When we submit it they will reject it as 'invalid mac/serial/model#' - guaranteed.

edit: Believe me, I'm not trying to turn away business or anything, just want people to understand that altering details about modems is generally not a good idea and may lead to a bad experience - ie the cable carrier can see this information via the CMTS so if there is ever a trouble they just love to say "sorry, unsupported modem and/or firmware" and wash their hands of it.

disk2050

join:2012-11-29
L9T7M9
reply to rocca

Hi -

I would like to know if I can use Cisco DPC3000 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - hardware version 2.0, Firmware dpc3000-v303r2391-091106a with start communication. I bought this used modem from ebay.

Thanks in advance!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to JCohen

said by JCohen:

SB5101 is also not supported. Rogers has a database of every modem ever registered with them, you can't lie about the mac and have service work, and since they'll know it's the wrong model when we go to place an order, it gets rejected every time. If for some reason it was never registered and it gets through the order process, if there is any problem and we submit a ticket, they review the firmware/model that registered against the CMTS and cancel the ticket because it doesn't match what we registered. Lots of grief, wasted time, upset customers. Just not worth it IMHO.

edit: stupid thread bug, I forgot I replied to this one yesterday.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to rocca

Bump the bug.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to disk2050

With Cogeco, yes. The firmware will auto-update to the approved Cogeco revision when it is connected to the network for the first time.

disk2050

join:2012-11-29
L9T7M9
reply to rocca

Hi -

I bought a Cisco DPC3000, Hardware Version 2, Firmware ver: dpc3000-v303r2391-091106a from ebay and would like to know modem such as this will work with Start.ca (cogeco)?

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24

I believe that Gone answered your question.
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

juggie

join:2007-04-25
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

reply to rocca

Hey,

I just wanted to post a very positive review of start.ca.

I ordered several weeks ago and within the next day received a confirmation email. Later on that evening I received a phone call from start, but missed it. I gave them a call back to follow up the next day and there was no wait to speak with an agent. She informed me they were just calling to confirm everything and said my modem would ship the next day.

My modem shipped on a Monday and I received it on Tuesday or Wednesday I don't remember which. I hooked it up and of course i was in the RED unauthorized walled garden. No surprise there as my activation was not for another week and a bit.

Fast forward to this past Thursday. I have my start.ca modem connected as well as the modem of my previous provider on two separate routers. I am at work, but I am connected to home and I can see when the connection comes up. Around 9:30am on my activation day my modem rebooted and came back with a new ip. I tested it and everything looks great. I was out running a few errands Thursday evening when my cell rings, it is start.ca calling to ensure my port was ok and my new modem is working. I advised the agent it was and she thanked me for my business and wished me a wonderful evening.

I have to say this has been a flawless experience from start to finish so far. I do hope it keeps up and hopefully start get's access to higher speeds soon!

In regards to the speeds they are great, I ordered the 28/1 package and I am getting those speeds consistently no issues.

bt

canada

said by juggie:

I just wanted to post a very positive review of start.ca.

Might I suggest putting a copy of this in the review section? »User reviews - Start Communications

juggie

join:2007-04-25
Nepean, ON

done.