Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to JCohen

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by JCohen:

Just say that it's an SB5101 when you make your order.

That _might_ work if it hadn't already been registered in Red's database. When we submit it they will reject it as 'invalid mac/serial/model#' - guaranteed.

edit: Believe me, I'm not trying to turn away business or anything, just want people to understand that altering details about modems is generally not a good idea and may lead to a bad experience - ie the cable carrier can see this information via the CMTS so if there is ever a trouble they just love to say "sorry, unsupported modem and/or firmware" and wash their hands of it.

disk2050

join:2012-11-29
L9T7M9
reply to rocca
Hi -

I would like to know if I can use Cisco DPC3000 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - hardware version 2.0, Firmware dpc3000-v303r2391-091106a with start communication. I bought this used modem from ebay.

Thanks in advance!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to JCohen
said by JCohen:

Just say that it's an SB5101 when you make your order.

SB5101 is also not supported. Rogers has a database of every modem ever registered with them, you can't lie about the mac and have service work, and since they'll know it's the wrong model when we go to place an order, it gets rejected every time. If for some reason it was never registered and it gets through the order process, if there is any problem and we submit a ticket, they review the firmware/model that registered against the CMTS and cancel the ticket because it doesn't match what we registered. Lots of grief, wasted time, upset customers. Just not worth it IMHO.

edit: stupid thread bug, I forgot I replied to this one yesterday.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to rocca
Bump the bug.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to disk2050
With Cogeco, yes. The firmware will auto-update to the approved Cogeco revision when it is connected to the network for the first time.

disk2050

join:2012-11-29
L9T7M9
reply to rocca
Hi -

I bought a Cisco DPC3000, Hardware Version 2, Firmware ver: dpc3000-v303r2391-091106a from ebay and would like to know modem such as this will work with Start.ca (cogeco)?

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
I believe that Gone answered your question.
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

juggie

join:2007-04-25
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

reply to rocca
Hey,

I just wanted to post a very positive review of start.ca.

I ordered several weeks ago and within the next day received a confirmation email. Later on that evening I received a phone call from start, but missed it. I gave them a call back to follow up the next day and there was no wait to speak with an agent. She informed me they were just calling to confirm everything and said my modem would ship the next day.

My modem shipped on a Monday and I received it on Tuesday or Wednesday I don't remember which. I hooked it up and of course i was in the RED unauthorized walled garden. No surprise there as my activation was not for another week and a bit.

Fast forward to this past Thursday. I have my start.ca modem connected as well as the modem of my previous provider on two separate routers. I am at work, but I am connected to home and I can see when the connection comes up. Around 9:30am on my activation day my modem rebooted and came back with a new ip. I tested it and everything looks great. I was out running a few errands Thursday evening when my cell rings, it is start.ca calling to ensure my port was ok and my new modem is working. I advised the agent it was and she thanked me for my business and wished me a wonderful evening.

I have to say this has been a flawless experience from start to finish so far. I do hope it keeps up and hopefully start get's access to higher speeds soon!

In regards to the speeds they are great, I ordered the 28/1 package and I am getting those speeds consistently no issues.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by juggie:

I just wanted to post a very positive review of start.ca.

Might I suggest putting a copy of this in the review section? »User reviews - Start Communications

juggie

join:2007-04-25
Nepean, ON
done.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to juggie
said by juggie:

I have to say this has been a flawless experience from start to finish so far.

Thank you very much, appreciate the review and glad to have another happy member. Welcome aboard!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by rocca:

said by juggie:

I have to say this has been a flawless experience from start to finish so far.

Thank you very much, appreciate the review and glad to have another happy member. Welcome aboard!

Rather : "....a flawless experience from Start to NO finish...."

Unless of course he/she happens to be Finnish.

THAT would change EVERYTHING !

pixoloo

join:2011-01-26
Burlington, ON
reply to rocca
I'm interested in switching from Cogeco to Start's 20Mbps plan, but not sure I want to take a blind jump.

Is it possible to run Cogeco and Start concurrently to check it out before fully switching over?

Start Laurie
Premium
join:2011-09-09
London, ON
kudos:1
It is possible, you would need a new install for our service. If you have any other questions please let us know. Thanks!

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to pixoloo
said by pixoloo:

Is it possible to run Cogeco and Start concurrently to check it out before fully switching over?

You also have to pay a $50 installation fee on the new install, it would be waived if you simply switched though.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to pixoloo
said by pixoloo:

I'm interested in switching from Cogeco to Start's 20Mbps plan, but not sure I want to take a blind jump.

I looked at it that way too, back in April, when START first 'Started' this service, but now I would say that if your Cogeco feed itself is solid and at the same or faster speed plan, and your only beefs were regarding prices and policies of Cogeco, then there would be little need to overlap.

OTOH, if you have money to burn for activation fees and such, then kindly send me a PM and I'll be more than glad to help you with THAT problem !

jackie999

join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON
reply to rocca
I have a SMCD3GN-RRR rev 1.4.0.39-RRR (purchased from rogers a year or so ago)
You require a - SMC D3GN-RES (1.4.0.40-RES)
My modem won't work?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by jackie999:

My modem won't work?

Unfortunately not. The firmware on that is custom with Rogers details in it I believe? (ie when you login has their name, etc on it?) That model isn't certified for general use.

jackie999

Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by rocca:

said by jackie999:

My modem won't work?

Unfortunately not. The firmware on that is custom with Rogers details in it I believe? (ie when you login has their name, etc on it?) That model isn't certified for general use.

Thanks rocca ..I spoke to a very friendly CSR at start and she said the same so I ordered the DCM476 from you to eliminate any problems down the road. I've signed up for your blazing fast 6Mbps unlimited cable for now

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

I don't think there is anything "locking" it to Rogers. Of course it could theoretically be a non-returned rental. It is just as easy for me to update as any other modem though.
--
electronicsguru.ca

jackie999

Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by Teddy Boom:

said by rocca:

I don't think there is anything "locking" it to Rogers. Of course it could theoretically be a non-returned rental. It is just as easy for me to update as any other modem though.

That's interesting ...I would have tried to flash it if I knew where to find the firmware. Is it possible to flash to the required ver then change mac addy so that it could be used as a spare?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by jackie999:

That's interesting ...I would have tried to flash it if I knew where to find the firmware. Is it possible to flash to the required ver then change mac addy so that it could be used as a spare?

For practical purposes no. This gets into the whole theft of service topic that I prefer to avoid, but.. Basically, there are security certificates that go with the MAC to ensure the modem you are using is really the modem it is supposed to be. Somebody might know how to do it, but I certainly can't.

I do have a copy of 1.4.0.40-RES (the RES part is redundant, as far as I can tell. It is just a restatement of the firmware version). It came from a modem that was on a US ISP, so probably Comcast. That means I do not have the administrator password for it. Except for turning it into a bridge, you really don't need admin access, so it isn't a huge problem. It does work perfectly on Rogers though, and satisfies the bureaucratic requirements that Rogers puts on the TPIA ISPs.
--
electronicsguru.ca

jackie999

Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by Teddy Boom:

said by jackie999:

For practical purposes no. This gets into the whole theft of service topic that I prefer to avoid, but.. Basically, there are security certificates that go with the MAC to ensure the modem you are using is really the modem it is supposed to be. Somebody might know how to do it, but I certainly can't.

I do have a copy of 1.4.0.40-RES (the RES part is redundant, as far as I can tell. It is just a restatement of the firmware version). It came from a modem that was on a US ISP, so probably Comcast. That means I do not have the administrator password for it. Except for turning it into a bridge, you really don't need admin access, so it isn't a huge problem. It does work perfectly on Rogers though, and satisfies the bureaucratic requirements that Rogers puts on the TPIA ISPs.

Thanks for the informative answer. I had wondered about the theft issue ..but figured the modem is just a 'key' to access service already available on the line. I think this old modem is useless now then since I won't ever be going back to rogers

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by jackie999:

Thanks for the informative answer. I had wondered about the theft issue ..but figured the modem is just a 'key' to access service already available on the line. I think this old modem is useless now then since I won't ever be going back to rogers

Well, not useless exactly. The modems I get have never been on Rogers at all, so anybody buying a modem has to use it with a small company. Since yours was on Rogers network it is quite valuable to a Rogers customer. Firmware doesn't matter for them, because Rogers will push the update.
--
electronicsguru.ca

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to rocca
Hello rocca,

I am very concerned about the slowing down of Start's cable speeds in Ottawa lately. Here are my results for this afternoon:

1) For Montreal server connection:

2) For Toronto server connection:

I paid for a standard package of 18 Mbps/512 kbps.

Could you look into the cause of this problem?

I would also appreciate knowing when Start's subscribers will have an increase in speeds vis-a-vis those accorded to Big RED's subscribers recently.

Thanks a lot for your help.

PS: The above connection is from a wireless client. Two hours ago, the average results from direct wired connection for Montreal and Toronto servers are as follows, respectively:

Montreal: 12.55 Mbps/410 kbps

Toronto: 12.61 Mbps/390 kbps

Anyway the speeds have been trending down in Ottawa lately.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by taytong888:

PS: The above connection is from a wireless client. Two hours ago, the average results from direct wired connection for Montreal and Toronto servers are as follows, respectively:

Can you please test direct from computer to modem? (ie no router, no wireless, etc) - and to »toronto.speedtest.net - one peak (ie 5pm to 1am) as well as one offpeak. Thanks.

taytong888

Nepean, ON
said by

Can you please test direct from computer to modem? (ie no router, no wireless, etc) - and to »toronto.speedtest.net - one peak (ie 5pm to 1am) as well as one offpeak. Thanks.
[/BQUOTE :

Hi rocca,

I just plugged the laptop directly to Motorola SB5101N cable modem trying to connect to the above link. Screen shows "latency error" and system tray shows "no Internet connection". So, how am I supposed to do a direct connection test as you suggested?

My normal hookup arrangement: cable modem > wireless router (AP mode) > PC.

A few minutes ago, with the router connection, toronto gave:

PING: 159 ms
DL: 4.97 Mbps
UL: 0.23 Mbps

taytong888

Nepean, ON
A slightly different test to same server (Nexicom) in Toronto:

>

Tried Chicago, but got packet loss error possibly due to a "firewall". I then suspended "Outpost Free firewall suite", before getting the following results for Nexicom server in Toronto:

>

Back to speedtest.net for toronto nexicom server:

Still poor result, despite the firewall protection is still being suspended. What's going on??? I need good quality line for VOIP.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

1 edit
I am having issues as well since past couple of nights (again), i tried factory reset of the modem, doesn't help.

Latency increases more then during the day as well (when doing tests to my servers in US)

Weird.
--

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
Just did another factory reset, doesn't help.

Sucks.
--