Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by TOPDAWG:

did rogers come to your house or they just did everything at their office?

When I did my transfer over from Rogers to Start everything was done remotely and I also got a call from Start asking if the transfer went well.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
Should have everything finalized in about a week or two at latest.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

1 edit

JC_ to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
Double
raptorsfan6
join:2013-01-08

raptorsfan6 to rocca

to rocca
Today (Jan 7th) was my first day of Start service and I am extremely disappointed. I transferred my cable internet over from Rogers and connected to Start at around noon. Speeds were just fine, but then at around 3 PM speeds dropped immensely. Streaming videos do not work, websites take a very long time to load, speedtest wont even work half the time.

I called tech support, and of course they went over the whole reset modem,router spiel. When I was on the phone with tech, speeds returned to normal, but as soon as I got off the phone with them, the connection slowed down again.

I never had this problem with Rogers. I was connected to Rogers just fine early this morning right before I connected my cable to Start's modem. The service was just fine until 3PM when everything started to die down. its not my router because the speeds are just as slow with my modem connected directly to my PC. I know if I call tech support again, they will tell me the exact same thing over again. "Reset modem/router, buy new router". This has been a very bad first impression.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Sorry to hear you're having problems but something is obviously not right if you can't load a web site. Some questions, 1) same modem, different modem? 2) signal levels? 3) nexicom.speedtest.net result? 4) did this persist throughout the evening, or was it just for a short period of time this afternoon? It's possible that Rogers just had an issue in your node this aft and was poor timing.

Thanks.
raptorsfan6

raptorsfan6

I just made a post, but its not appearing for some reason.
raptorsfan6

raptorsfan6 to rocca

to rocca
1) Using the modem Start provided me.
2) Sorry Im not too familar with how to find this.
3) Download :: 1.2 Mbps 152 kB/s. This was right after I reset my modem. When I reset my modem speeds are great for about 20 minutes and then they drop again.

4) The problem has been happening the whole day since 3PM. Its happening right now as I type this.

5) I do not know about the node thing, because I spoke with someone on another forum who is experiencing the same symptoms as I am. He lives in Brampton and has DSL, while I live in Toronto and have cable.

Also the "Online" light on my modem has been blue this whole time, even when the connection was doing just fine. I do not know if this makes a difference.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

2) Modem stats are at 192.168.100.1. Can you also try reseating the cable modem to make sure the end is not loose or weak? Also if you have added any splitters, etc, please remove them for testing.

3) If you can provide a link to the result (ie the 'copy link') button that would help. Also only while directly connected to the modem, ie no routers, voip adapters, etc.

The blue light means you have channel bonding and are using a DCM476 modem, that is good.

Failing any positive results, can you PM me your account # or real name please?

Thanks.
raptorsfan6

raptorsfan6

Thank you very much for your support. Its getting really late right now so I will have to do those things tomorrow. Maybe everything will alright in the morning. Again thank you for your help.
raptorsfan6

raptorsfan6 to rocca

to rocca
1) Different modem - I am using the modem provided by Start
2) Signal levels? I am sorry I am not too familiar with what this is.
3) This is the speed I got righter after I reset the modem.
4) This has been happening the whole evening and night. Its happening now as I type this. If I reset the modem, the speeds will be ok for about 20 minutes and then it will drop.

I do not know about the node thing you mentioned, because I talked to someone on another forum and he mentioned he has had the the same problems with his connection. He lives in Brampton and is on DSL, while I live in Toronto and have cable.

Again, speeds/connection were fine with Rogers. Connection was great with Start for a few hours then the problems started happening.

I would also like to add that the "Online" light on the Start modem had been blue this whole, even when the connection was perfect. I do not know if this makes a difference.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Can you use »nexicom.speedtest.net and use that result, and only with the computer directly connected to the modem (no router).

Also can you review my post a couple ahead, ie re splitters, signal level, PM'ing your account #, etc?

Lastly, out of curiosity, when you are connected to the router (also what type of router) can you just reset the router and not the modem and see if your speeds improve?

Thanks.
raptorsfan6

raptorsfan6

Sorry for the late update. Aside, from the hiccup on the first day, service has been great so far. Everything is what I hoped for and I would not hesitate to recommend Start to anyone I know. I would also like to thank rocca for his genuine and sincere eagerness to help me.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Thanks, appreciate the followup and always happy to help where I can.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
hm I tried that testmy.net speedtest and it said I was just getting 1.5 mbps and every other test I try says I'm getting my max speed. seems that site is not right.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by TOPDAWG:

hm I tried that testmy.net speedtest and it said I was just getting 1.5 mbps and every other test I try says I'm getting my max speed. seems that site is not right.

A few weeks ago I had a customer complaining about his speeds because of testmy.net results. This was my response
Another very important factor, where is the server you are testing to located? Looking into testmy.net a little, looks like they are in Dallas, Washington DC (most likely actually Ashburn Virginia) and Seattle. That gives insight into a certain aspect of connection speed--if the only server you ever talk to is in Dallas--but it is not optimal for testing.

Of course no speed test is optimal for all uses of the internet. Speedtest.net certainly does give an optimistic result, but I find that is mostly due to multi-threaded download rather than some adjustment factor as identified by the guy who runs testmy.net:
»testmy.net/ipb/topic/301 ··· d-tests/
I'm sure something exists that justifies his statement, but.. Speedtest.net gives results that correspond closely with my understanding of how cable internet connections work, so I have good reason to trust the results I get.

Maybe the best way to test your speed is to try a very well seeded torrent. That is still a highly multithreaded download, but it is a real result, rather than a projection based on a brief snapshot.
It does leave me wondering a little though. Is testmy.net credible at all? What good speed test algorithms are easily available? etc. etc.

Nomi
@rogers.com

Nomi to rocca

Anon

to rocca
Internet has been down for several hours now up here in Markham...any outages going on right now?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Nomi :

Internet has been down for several hours now up here in Markham...any outages going on right now?

Can you do a factory reset on the modem? If still a problem please call to place a ticket. I see that some areas in Markham had some work done last night.

ssherwood
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Toronto, ON

ssherwood to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
Hi there - is the new Pro Cable Internet product actually available as indicated on your website, and is the speed the full 45/4Mbps?

-- SS

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by ssherwood:

Hi there - is the new Pro Cable Internet product actually available as indicated on your website, and is the speed the full 45/4Mbps?

The availability depends on your postal code, but if »www.start.ca/services/hi ··· lability says it's available then it's good to go. As for speeds, with the exception of the way cable works with occasional possibility of node issues, yes most people are posting their awesome speeds in a bunch of threads. Thanks!

ssherwood
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

ssherwood

Premium Member

Cool - I did use my postal code. I might have to give you folks a try. Thanks.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34

... Mega-Thread LIVES! ...

.. And again, my post is starting a new page and nobody will even see this until a few more posts arrive...

Perma
join:2011-12-20

Perma to rocca

to rocca
Currently with TSI, I have a Docsis 3.0 DCM476. From what I understand, since I currently have cable and an approved modem, If I were to transfer, it would be free activation with no additional charges?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to jasmo34

Premium Member

to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

... Mega-Thread LIVES! ...

.. And again, my post is starting a new page and nobody will even see this until a few more posts arrive...

3 more, exactly, and mine is #2 of them.

One more post to Page Birth of #80.

OK, everyone PUSH !!!

Toutes ensemble, maintenant....
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors

I'm on page 16>>! Lolz! xD! Bump! Haha!

(I prefer reading vertically then horizontally! :P!)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to Perma

Premium Member

to Perma
said by Perma:

If I were to transfer, it would be free activation with no additional charges?

Correct, there is no charge for transfers if you have an active cable internet connection at the same address under your name.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

If a cable modem is currently working fine at the originating ISP, and the modem's firmware was "current when provisioned", but the modem firmware is no longer "approved", can that affect a transfer to Start?

If OK for the transfer, might this cause a problem if there is ever a service call with Start?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by jasmo34:

If a cable modem is currently working fine at the originating ISP, and the modem's firmware was "current when provisioned", but the modem firmware is no longer "approved", can that affect a transfer to Start? If OK for the transfer, might this cause a problem if there is ever a service call with Start?

That's a good question, to be honest I can't say for sure what Red would do on a trouble ticket. When we place the order we must pick the model/firmware from a drop down and anything old is simply not available for us to select. I always recommend sticking with the current approved modem/firmware for the best experience.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rocca:

....I always recommend sticking with the current approved modem/firmware for the best experience.

While we are on that, might it be a good idea to specify on the modem model lists (BTW, good that they are also on the web page now, and not just 'hidden' in the order form system), that the Cisco DPC3000 needs to be Hardware Rev 2, as well as the firmware version ?

In fact, it was demonstrated by a couple of the early adopters last April that the hardware rev is more important, as Cogeco will push the firmware updates anyway and reboot the modem, as soon as it is first hooked up.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

I'd still like to get a HW rev 1 in my hands to see if I can talk it into working. I've never even seen one...

Well, to be fair, I've only ever seen 5 total, so..

ssherwood
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

ssherwood to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
Any plans to offer the 150/10Mbps tier?