·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to CANADIANSOUP

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by CANADIANSOUP:

Thanks for the info Oinktastic

SO from what Oinktastic & brassy mentioned... It's best if I stick with Rogers

Not really soup, Sticking with rogers won;t be very different at all than going with start except you will pay more for less, Aggregated Customers will be on the Exact same paths as Rogers customers. hence for your Gaming/ping etc.. Internal rogers network wise no slowdowns and they peer with torix, cogent,bell etc.. lots of peering partners for pingability paths
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to captnhammer
said by captnhammer:

So what speed would Cogeco users on the 16Mbps service get? Specifically in Bright's Grove (Sarnia)?

If you PM me your address I can verify what packages would be available for you.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
reply to rocca
Guess I'll stick with what I have until someone in Quebec begins to do Cogeco TPIA!

CANADIANSOUP

join:2011-06-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to brassy
Thanks for the info Oinktastic

SO from what Oinktastic & brassy mentioned... It's best if I stick with Rogers

brassy

join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON
reply to rocca
Only concern I have is oversaturation of your network.

Reading the teksavvy forums, its quite obvious cable can get saturated very easily and Rogers is slow as molasses in doing updates. And when it is saturated, it an be quite slow during primetime..

And I assume you guys are going to get tons of requests (especially from Cogeco and the other Rogers areas not currently served or under stopsell)... = good chance of saturation..??

Otherwise, Im sooo tempted.... sick of this dsl..

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
kudos:2
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to CANADIANSOUP
said by CANADIANSOUP:

let's forget about it... I still have 3 months left in my Rogers contract anyways.. can't do anything about it now.
sorry to have wasted your time

The internet never forgets

All of the basics were covered in the link that was originally posted.

Non-Aggregated
1. Your ISP gets slightly more control over your traffic
1b. Rogers doesn't throttle in this setup (will stop soon they say)
2. Used to be cheaper for your ISP, but since capacity-based billing was implemented, I'm not sure anymore
3. Your ISP has to purchase capacity and aggregation links for each POI individually from Rogers, which gets costly and with Rogers' recent delays in installing new capacity, can lead to congestion occurring at one or more POIs

Aggregated Benefits
1. One point for all traffic to move between your ISP and Rogers
2. Rogers charges more per user for this setup, but capacity is spread over more users, potentially lessening the cost for capacity
3. Rogers gets more control in this case since more of the distance is covered on their own equipment

I'm probably missing something important. Hopefully others will chime in.

If your ISP has a non-aggregated setup and is able to keep their available capacity above what the users need, then this method should be just as fast, or faster, than the aggregated method.

In the aggregated setup, Rogers controls the traffic until it reaches your ISP. There is still speculation about how much they will choose to control IISP traffic.

Unfortunately, that all doesn't really prove anything specific, but I would suspect that the aggregated POI setup on an IISP will yield a user-experience very close to what Rogers offers their own customers. The non-aggregated setup has the potential to be quicker in terms of pings and responsiveness, but only if Rogers keeps up with the upgrades.

I think...

captnhammer

join:2011-02-01
Calgary
reply to rocca
So what speed would Cogeco users on the 16Mbps service get? Specifically in Bright's Grove (Sarnia)?

QL0G1C

join:2007-02-20
Concord, ON
reply to rocca
I will wait for unlimited or even that same type of deal teksavvy has with a time frame for unlimited

CANADIANSOUP

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Me too. What was the question you needed answering still?

let's forget about it... I still have 3 months left in my Rogers contract anyways.. can't do anything about it now.
sorry to have wasted your time

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Spare
Best Christmas movie ever!

Spare

join:2004-04-14
min2p6
reply to rocca
O M F G Thank you!

After looking at Hells remote roll out list for remotes (and not seeing one near me) I thought I was gonna be stuck on a 1meg interleaved dsl connection for ever.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XEaeOxqy_4

Night Owl

join:2008-10-23
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Night Owl:

Will we be permitted to bring our own modem?

The site only lists a rental option ($5.00/month) or purchase option ($69.95-->DOCSIS 2 or $$99.95-->DOCSIS 3).

Hey, also noticed they have a free shipping promo on purchased modems.

I missed that part.

Where was it said ?

It wasn't actually said anywhere. Me, being the inquisitive person I am, went through the steps to place an order just to see what it would cost and it shows up there.

--
What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away. - Anonymous

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

The only downside is there is a growing number of people that are refusing to do business this way, letting companies tap into their cash like that.

I refuse to do any online banking or automatic with-drawls. Send me a paper bill which I will audit on a line by line basis and I will go into the bank and pay cash or I don't do business with you.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to CANADIANSOUP
said by CANADIANSOUP:

said by Gone:

said by rocca:

Sorry I missed your question, what is it you were asking?

You already answered it when you mentioned your transit partners and the peering at torix.

Ok, now I'm really lost...

Me too. What was the question you needed answering still?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Also, you can always head over to the Cogeco forum and find out who all the troublemakers are so you can keep them off your network.

Lulz @ Ur remark. +1

CANADIANSOUP

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by rocca:

You already answered it when you mentioned your transit partners and the peering at torix.

Ok, now I'm really lost...

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to CANADIANSOUP
said by CANADIANSOUP:

said by CANADIANSOUP:

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm a console gamer and I do not want any latency, lag/delays, or internet issues
Is it better than being with rogers or tek? and in what way
Total noob when it comes with internet tech/lingo

HMM no replies, I guess I'll stick with Robbers

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

I don't think it's a poor way to do business. It does mitigate receivables problems and for many people, it's convenient.

The receivables is a relatively large problem unfortunately with post-paid billing and I'd rather have people on the phone helping customers than trying to chase down payment issues. That said, we are investigating a pre-invoice system where you get a bill a week in advance and can pay it online, hopefully something like that is available in a few months.

said by dillyhammer:

Well, congratulations for firing up TPIA in Cogecoland. ... Cheers, and Good Luck.

Thanks Mike.

CANADIANSOUP

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to CANADIANSOUP
said by CANADIANSOUP:

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm a console gamer and I do not want any latency, lag/delays, or internet issues
Is it better than being with rogers or tek? and in what way
Total noob when it comes with internet tech/lingo

HMM no replies, I guess I'll stick with Robbers

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca
Well, congratulations for firing up TPIA in Cogecoland. Lot's of people chomping at the bit to blow Cogeco off that don't have a viable DSL option, so you should see some action on that front at the minimum.

Also, you can always head over to the Cogeco forum and find out who all the troublemakers are so you can keep them off your network.

Cheers, and Good Luck.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to ZOMGIcouldp
said by ZOMGIcouldp :

In this day and age of internet banking NOT allowing online banking payments is a POOR way to run a business.

I don't think it's a poor way to do business. It does mitigate receivables problems and for many people, it's convenient.

The only downside is there is a growing number of people that are refusing to do business this way, letting companies tap into their cash like that. Especially when there is no theoretical limit on what can be withdrawn. I would do it with a company I knew and trusted, and where there were limits. But no limits on overages? Never happen.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

ZOMGIcouldp

@cgocable.net
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Gone:

....When you sign up with Cogeco your first month is due right away. The installer even takes a cheque from you for the first month of service - or at least they have from me, multiple times, and they'll tell you this on the phone when you call. When you get your bill in the mail its for the month coming up, not the month prior. UBB fees from the previous month are added on to the bill for next month.

How Start will work and how Cogeco works when you're on PAP is identical. The difference is that Start requires PAP. Small price to pay to not have to deal with Cogeco.

Cogeco did not ask me to pay at signup, during 2011 Dec.

I even asked, as they had done that in the past, and they said they had stopped doing that.

My 1st pmt was due on Feb 1st, 2012 by PAP,and therefive it was big, as it was 2.5 months plus the install fee.

I paid it by CC over the phone in mid Jan 2012.

PAP did not happen.

Same thing next month, but only for the upcoming month.

I've never done PAP with cogeco and I've never had to pay upfront either. I get the invoice, I pay the invoice. I never have to pay before I get the invoice so it doesn't auto charge me when the invoice is issued.

How Start has it setup is you are forced to do Auto-Withdraw/Charge/Pre-Auth whatever and the only way for it not to happen is to pay the invoice before the invoice comes out and they auto charge you.

In this day and age of internet banking NOT allowing online banking payments is a POOR way to run a business. It's not like they are not setup for Online Banking I already found them in the payee list. Hell I've paid ISP's using Interac email money transfers and paypal in the past.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to rocca

NOTICE :

START.ca is now included in the March 2012 ONTARIO SPREADSHEET !

»March 2012 ONTARIO Internet Plans Comparison

If any errors are found, please post about them in that thread, NOT here.

I have not added info about Cable modems for START yet, as I have some questions to ask later today.

Thanks.

Nite ALL....

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Silvercat,

obtaining usage statisctics every hour is not possible on TPIA because the ISP does not have access to poll the user's modem to get those numbers.

They might be able to do something with their own routers calculating usage by IP address and then *try* to lookup customer ID for that IP but there is currently no reliable way for ISPs to convert an IP address reliably to a customer identification.

So peak/offpeak billing for cable is not realistically possible for the moment.

Obliquely speaking, would this also translate into more difficult customer identification should the RIAA and other content goons come knocking for subscriber information ?
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1, Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1, Dupont POI, eXtreme Cable Pr0 28/1 Unlimited.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to arshad14
said by arshad14:

Thanks for your response! I would like to sign up for your service but was unable to on our site for the Advanced Cable service. Would you please be able to help?

Thanks for your support and sorry to hear you had a problem. I just checked and it seems to be working, if you're getting an error message please feel free to send IM me and I will take a look. Thanks.

arshad14

join:2007-03-04
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by arshad14:

Another question, if I do purchase the DCM475 modem from Start, that should still be useable with the other TPIA's right?

Yes the DCM475 can be used by any TPIA provider on the Rogers network.

Thanks for your response! I would like to sign up for your service but was unable to on our site for the Advanced Cable service. Would you please be able to help?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to arshad14
said by arshad14:

Another question, if I do purchase the DCM475 modem from Start, that should still be useable with the other TPIA's right?

Yes the DCM475 can be used by any TPIA provider on the Rogers network.

arshad14

join:2007-03-04
Scarborough, ON
reply to rocca
Anyone try to sign up for Start.ca service right now? I tried both Interac and Credit Card payment methods and they both failed.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
reply to arshad14
Bell turned off throttling at the beginning of this month and Rogers began the process of shutting it down in March and aim to complete it by the end of 2012, but if its turned on again in the future you would be effected for sure