share rss forum feed

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit
reply to ssherwood

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

... Mega-Thread LIVES! ...

.. And again, my post is starting a new page and nobody will even see this until a few more posts arrive...

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to rocca

Currently with TSI, I have a Docsis 3.0 DCM476. From what I understand, since I currently have cable and an approved modem, If I were to transfer, it would be free activation with no additional charges?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to jasmo34

said by jasmo34:

... Mega-Thread LIVES! ...

.. And again, my post is starting a new page and nobody will even see this until a few more posts arrive...

3 more, exactly, and mine is #2 of them.

One more post to Page Birth of #80.

OK, everyone PUSH !!!

Toutes ensemble, maintenant....

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON

I'm on page 16>>! Lolz! xD! Bump! Haha!

(I prefer reading vertically then horizontally! :P!)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to Perma

said by Perma:

If I were to transfer, it would be free activation with no additional charges?

Correct, there is no charge for transfers if you have an active cable internet connection at the same address under your name.

jasmo34

London, ON

If a cable modem is currently working fine at the originating ISP, and the modem's firmware was "current when provisioned", but the modem firmware is no longer "approved", can that affect a transfer to Start?

If OK for the transfer, might this cause a problem if there is ever a service call with Start?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by jasmo34:

If a cable modem is currently working fine at the originating ISP, and the modem's firmware was "current when provisioned", but the modem firmware is no longer "approved", can that affect a transfer to Start? If OK for the transfer, might this cause a problem if there is ever a service call with Start?

That's a good question, to be honest I can't say for sure what Red would do on a trouble ticket. When we place the order we must pick the model/firmware from a drop down and anything old is simply not available for us to select. I always recommend sticking with the current approved modem/firmware for the best experience.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by rocca:

....I always recommend sticking with the current approved modem/firmware for the best experience.

While we are on that, might it be a good idea to specify on the modem model lists (BTW, good that they are also on the web page now, and not just 'hidden' in the order form system), that the Cisco DPC3000 needs to be Hardware Rev 2, as well as the firmware version ?

In fact, it was demonstrated by a couple of the early adopters last April that the hardware rev is more important, as Cogeco will push the firmware updates anyway and reboot the modem, as soon as it is first hooked up.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20

I'd still like to get a HW rev 1 in my hands to see if I can talk it into working. I've never even seen one...

Well, to be fair, I've only ever seen 5 total, so..
--
electronicsguru.ca

ssherwood
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Toronto, ON
reply to rocca

Any plans to offer the 150/10Mbps tier?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by ssherwood:

Any plans to offer the 150/10Mbps tier?

Yes, just waiting on the CBB decision first.

huhuhuh

@hauser.ca

in that case bw limit will be 67 GB a month

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

Not that I can afford it but is the 55/2 available to me in Sarnia ?

I also want to know will there be anything for cable internet that will be in the $59 range in the future ? 40/2 or 45/2 and 300 GB ?

jasmo34

London, ON

Here's a good first step... plunk in your postal code...

»start.ca/services/highspeed/availability

Also, fyi... Start's own forum...
»Start Communications

(but posting here in CdnBB is fine too!)

DeViLzzz

Sarnia, ON

Thanks for trying to be helpful but it really doesn't show much info by doing that check. I have internet already with them and just wondered what the future holds and wondered about the 55/2. Again thanks for trying to be helpful.

Start Laurie
Premium
join:2011-09-09
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to DeViLzzz

55 is available in your area. Until the CRTC releases their decision on capacity charges we won't be able to look at new package offerings. Thanks!

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada

Fastest i ever seen since i am with Start, nice lol

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by DrugTito:

WTF?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by Guru:

said by DrugTito:

WTF?

Photoshop ?

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON
reply to rocca

thats speedboost for you

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
reply to Guru

you can't really photoshop an official result

DrugTito

canada
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

said by Guru:

said by DrugTito:

WTF?

Photoshop ?

hahaha, nah, as dan said, its a speedboost, but, looks like there was tons of available bandwidth on my node at the time i did the test, doesn't happen to often lol

DeViLzzz

Sarnia, ON
reply to dan mackay

What are you referring to when you mention speedboost dan mackay ?

DrugTito

canada
reply to DrugTito

said by DrugTito:

It was nice while it lasted.

I am slowly starting to hate cable service and again and i am considering DSL, really :\

I am not able to get 500-700 kB\sec from most of the sites out there.

My wife is trying to watch netflix and it buffers like crazy.

I know weather is bad, most of ppl are at home, using internet like crazy, but, blah

Crashrun2003

join:2013-02-10
reply to rocca

Just signed up today for the 60mbit package. Cant wait for it to be installed! I guess I picked a not so great day because the install date was showing for Monday the 18th which is a holiday, but oh well, I'll live.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to DrugTito

said by DrugTito:

My wife is trying to watch netflix and it buffers like crazy.

Hi DrugTito:

I know you probably already answered this somewhere, but does the Netflix buffering occur when directly connected to the cable modem ? (ethernet). As you know, what could also cause congestion is having too many close neighbours using the 2.4 Ghz wireless network.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

said by silvercat:

....As you know, what could also cause congestion is having too many close neighbours using the 2.4 Ghz wireless network.

Good catch !

So if direct works better (or do it anyway) maybe try setting your WiFi to use a different channel ?

6 is default on most routers, so adjust router to try 3 or 9, or even further away from 6 than that.

Even better, if you do a 'site survey' with one of the computers (or sometimes can do this from the router itself), it may tell you what other WiFi networks are nearby and which channels they are using, so that you can avoid them as much as possible.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07

Or maybe just use a dual-band router with great range (such as the Asus RT-N66U) and use the 5 Ghz radio whenever possible

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

said by silvercat:

....As you know, what could also cause congestion is having too many close neighbours using the 2.4 Ghz wireless network.

Good catch !

So if direct works better (or do it anyway) maybe try setting your WiFi to use a different channel ?

6 is default on most routers, so adjust router to try 3 or 9, or even further away from 6 than that.

Even better, if you do a 'site survey' with one of the computers (or sometimes can do this from the router itself), it may tell you what other WiFi networks are nearby and which channels they are using, so that you can avoid them as much as possible.

If only we can use channel 14...

DeViLzzz

Sarnia, ON

Anything going on in my neck of the woods today ? Internet is acting strange. I have had to do manual refresh to get some pages to start loading. When I checked the speeds on speedtest.net well I also had it where things stalled but when I got the test to work it showed the fastest speeds I have had in awhile on download. 24+ Mbps DL Nice to have that but hate refreshing so much.