Search similar:

uniqs
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

for people wondering more about Start service my brother watches HD content and other stuff streamed on his Start cable internet that is 6 Mbps unlimited usage package and he has no problems with it

just mentioning that here in case it will help someone decide whether or not to come to Start
sssscary
join:2007-10-23
Brockville, ON

sssscary to BurlingtonGy

to BurlingtonGy
I have Start 30Mbps plan in Cogeco area. Vonage works well for me, haven't had an issue in 6 months. I am not sure if I live in a busy neighbourhood, but my speedtest is almost always high even during peak times. Ping is about 20ms.
protovision
join:2013-02-25
Toronto, ON

protovision to rocca

to rocca
hey Rocco/all,

I'm thinking of switching over from teksavvy/28/1/SB5101 cable service to Advance or Pro cable from start.ca

Does anyone know how much downtime I'll have, or how to minimize the downtime? (I work from home)

Also, are there any rulings pending where I should wait a month or so for changed offerings?

I'll need to rent/order a docsis 3.0 modem, since it looks like my sb5101n won't work with the faster speeds at start.ca.

TIA.

BurlingtonGy
@cgocable.net

BurlingtonGy to sssscary

Anon

to sssscary
Well…my take on Daves question “So exactly WHY is START not worth it ?”

START's 30 plan still costs less ($55 Net vs $70 Net, modem rental included, open rate, no bundles) and has more GB of monthly usage (250 vs 175) than GOUGEco.
- Well..for me probably like most: I have basic Cogeco cable so cost for Ultimate 30 is 61$ and there is no modem rental fee. Cogeco is 175Gb and Start 250Gb now..at 400Gb when it launched it was appealing. Cogeco has a fast network with low latency but Start’s latency seems much higher which can be an issue for users like me that are VIOP and VPN heavy users? Not sure of impact here…just observation on latency rates.

START's UBB rate is HALF of GOUGEco's per GB.

- Not an issue as I have not intent of paying either an overage fee.

START has a usage meter which stays available (at least it has for ME), and needs no login.

- Definitely more convenient on Start than logging in. But not much value add as logging in takes less than a minute to check account.

START has a CEO who stays available on DSLR.

- Yes..much appreciated what Rocca does.

And START has NO problem sending correspondence to external email addresses, unlike Cogeco.

- Have no idea what you are referring to here; been with cogeco for approx 15 years never had a problem with email?

So exactly WHY is START not worth it ?

- Well…this will need to be on a case by case basis for each person’s scenario…for someone like me it comes down to 6$ less for 75Gb of extra cap space? Too me not worth it! Sorry Dave and Rocca!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by BurlingtonGy :

Well…my take on Daves question "So exactly WHY is START not worth it ?" ....

If you have been with Cogeco for all of 15 years, then that has to be for good reasons, and must count for something.

For that alone, I change my original position - you SHOULD think twice before changing, even if to the 400 GB plan which START first offered.

Also because of your long tenure with them, you likely use a Cogeco email address as your primary email anyway, so you would not have been exposed to, nor have noticed what so many others of us have, about Cogeco refusing to send notifications to external (non-Cogeco) email addresses, and their forwarding emails from Cogeco to elsewhere not working properly either.

And your Cogeco modem is not free - it is only included, and if it was extra, your base rate would be lower, more like how START does things.

Your bundle discount is good, but not fair to make part of the calculations, if to compare apples to apples.

I sincerely hope that you never exceed your monthly usage cap, nor get tired of checking to be sure that you do not exceed it.

Latency : Being near Cogeco HQ prob'ly does give you very low latency.

Just how low is it ?

Mine with START in Eastern Ontario is around 20ms, and my VoIP seems fine.

And I agree that each of us may have different priorities.

I even lowered my plan when START brought out the Feb revisions, from a 300 cap (grandfathered) to a 150 cap, same 20 Mbps speed, as I was not using near even the 150 GB.

Saved me $10 net per month.

Many folks would/could not have been in a position to do that.

When START's next plans are offered, I will give them due consideration, as I'm sure will yourself and everyone else.

Cheers !

Anon601
@start.ca

Anon601 to rocca

Anon

to rocca
very smooth transition.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Excellent, welcome aboard!

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis to rocca

to rocca
Hi, Rocca

I had service with you guys when I was living at my uncles in Waterloo and was very happy with guys. I'm looking at coming back for May 1st at my new place so how much time should I give you guys before I call in, for setup to be ready on that start date?

I'm really hoping as many others I guess, that you will have some of the super tiers (75/??) as I'm truly a speed junkie so I'm also waiting eagerly for your update's in light of the BS ruling from the CRTC on Cable rates.

My DCM475 is on firmware 2.08, is that considered a troublesome firmware and should I look to getting it updated to 2.3? or 2.16?
DeViLzzz
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz to rocca

to rocca
I hate to admit it but I am looking at going to another cable internet provider which is Distributel. Hard to beat 28 Mbps DL and 1 Mbps UL with unlimited usage for under $50. I have enjoyed my time with Start Communications thus far and hope that something similar to this can be offered in the future. Any chance of this ?
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to BurlingtonGy

to BurlingtonGy
said by BurlingtonGy :

- Well..for me probably like most: I have basic Cogeco cable so cost for Ultimate 30 is 61$ and there is no modem rental fee. Cogeco is 175Gb and Start 250Gb now..at 400Gb when it launched it was appealing. Cogeco has a fast network with low latency but Start’s latency seems much higher which can be an issue for users like me that are VIOP and VPN heavy users? Not sure of impact here…just observation on latency rates.

Just to point out that GOUGCo Ultimate 30 (Bundled) is $61.95 +Tax witch is $70.

Start.ca's Advanced Cable Internet 30 Mbps is $49.95 + $5 Modem rental + Tax = $62.09

thats $7.91 savings a month and no bundle crap to deal with.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

I hate to admit it but I am looking at going to another cable internet provider which is Distributel. Hard to beat 28 Mbps DL and 1 Mbps UL with unlimited usage for under $50. I have enjoyed my time with Start Communications thus far and hope that something similar to this can be offered in the future. Any chance of this ?

28/1 is not offered in Sarnia as that is Cogeco territory, 28/1 is a Rogers package.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to XNemesis

Premium Member

to XNemesis
said by XNemesis:

I had service with you guys when I was living at my uncles in Waterloo and was very happy with guys. I'm looking at coming back for May 1st at my new place so how much time should I give you guys before I call in, for setup to be ready on that start date?

Thanks, welcome back. New installs require at least 5 business days but a little more breathing time is always a good idea if you're trying to match a specific date and you can call in early no problem.
said by XNemesis:

I'm really hoping as many others I guess, that you will have some of the super tiers (75/??) as I'm truly a speed junkie so I'm also waiting eagerly for your update's in light of the BS ruling from the CRTC on Cable rates.

The 150Mbps is expected for early May.
said by XNemesis:

My DCM475 is on firmware 2.08, is that considered a troublesome firmware and should I look to getting it updated to 2.3? or 2.16?

We always recommend using the approved firmware, which for that modem is 2.16.
rocca

rocca to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

That speed (and quite possibly the pricing based on it) is on the old model. The old speeds aren't available to ISP that's migrated to the new aggregated platforms. Every ISP will have to be on the new platform by early next year.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
said by rocca:

said by XNemesis:

The 150Mbps is expected for early May.

Is that when Start is planning to start offering 150/10?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Yes.
DeViLzzz
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz to JC_

to JC_
I think considering one can get 60/1 in Cogeco territory I would think they would be offering the 28/1 too. Even if they can't offer that speed they do have unlimited offerings for all their internet packages I believe.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by DeViLzzz:

I think considering one can get 60/1 in Cogeco territory I would think they would be offering the 28/1 too. Even if they can't offer that speed they do have unlimited offerings for all their internet packages I believe.

That's not how speed plans work. The only place that Distributel offers cable internet in the Cogeco territory is in Windsor and the only speed tiers that they offer are the same ones offered to Cogeco retail customers.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to DeViLzzz

to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

Cogeco has 30/2 in their territory.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by TypeS:

Cogeco has 30/2 in their territory.

... and 60/2, which Start offers.

I suspect the price of 60/2 is going to go through the roof this week, though.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

said by Gone:

I suspect the price of 60/2 is going to go through the roof this week, though.

You're right about that..
»[Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I'm cringing at the thought of what's going to happen to my legacy 30/2 bill, believe me.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to rudeboy24

to rudeboy24
Teksavvy just released prices for Cogeco in case people didn't see it. Damn that's high.

The Throttle
@videotron.ca

The Throttle

Anon

said by geokilla:

Teksavvy just released prices for Cogeco in case people didn't see it. Damn that's high.

They are also considering (toying with the idea of) throttling.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, Marc said he had no choice but to "be creative"
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to The Throttle

to The Throttle
said by The Throttle :

said by geokilla:

Which is what Acanac is doing.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to The Throttle

Premium Member

to The Throttle
said by The Throttle :

said by geokilla:

no no.. our main packages would never be throttled..

I meant, if ever we have the ability to give an individual that option.. i.e. each could decided that for themselves via our customer portal or something like that... we might look at that if it made any sense.

it's not an option right now though.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Opt-in demand-based traffic management could make unlimited a much more palatable option for everyone involved.

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis to rocca

to rocca
Thanks Rocca,

I'm salivating at the idea of 150/10 but after seeing the TSI Cogeco rates for their 60 package, that just downright terrifying so imagining what the $$$ will be like for a Roger's side 150/10 has me mentally running to the hills screaming like a little girl.

I hope I'll be laughing instead to be using the 150/10 with a 350GB Cap for less than Rogers if possible.

MaryMWebster
@videotron.ca

MaryMWebster to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

Yeah, Marc said he had no choice but to "be creative"

I guess this can also be called innovative, stimulating and imaginative.
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla

»[Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers

Sorry Start... Looks like I won't be switching after all. I get an extra 50GB for the same price. Also have the option of getting unlimited.

Is it free to change speeds with Start?