kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to DeViLzzz

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by DeViLzzz:

I hate to admit it but I am looking at going to another cable internet provider which is Distributel. Hard to beat 28 Mbps DL and 1 Mbps UL with unlimited usage for under $50. I have enjoyed my time with Start Communications thus far and hope that something similar to this can be offered in the future. Any chance of this ?

28/1 is not offered in Sarnia as that is Cogeco territory, 28/1 is a Rogers package.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to XNemesis

said by XNemesis:

I had service with you guys when I was living at my uncles in Waterloo and was very happy with guys. I'm looking at coming back for May 1st at my new place so how much time should I give you guys before I call in, for setup to be ready on that start date?

Thanks, welcome back. New installs require at least 5 business days but a little more breathing time is always a good idea if you're trying to match a specific date and you can call in early no problem.

said by XNemesis:

I'm really hoping as many others I guess, that you will have some of the super tiers (75/??) as I'm truly a speed junkie so I'm also waiting eagerly for your update's in light of the BS ruling from the CRTC on Cable rates.

The 150Mbps is expected for early May.

said by XNemesis:

My DCM475 is on firmware 2.08, is that considered a troublesome firmware and should I look to getting it updated to 2.3? or 2.16?

We always recommend using the approved firmware, which for that modem is 2.16.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to DeViLzzz

said by DeViLzzz:

I hate to admit it but I am looking at going to another cable internet provider which is Distributel. Hard to beat 28 Mbps DL and 1 Mbps UL with unlimited usage for under $50. I have enjoyed my time with Start Communications thus far and hope that something similar to this can be offered in the future. Any chance of this ?

That speed (and quite possibly the pricing based on it) is on the old model. The old speeds aren't available to ISP that's migrated to the new aggregated platforms. Every ISP will have to be on the new platform by early next year.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to DeViLzzz

said by rocca:

said by XNemesis:

I'm really hoping as many others I guess, that you will have some of the super tiers (75/??) as I'm truly a speed junkie so I'm also waiting eagerly for your update's in light of the BS ruling from the CRTC on Cable rates.

The 150Mbps is expected for early May.

Is that when Start is planning to start offering 150/10?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Yes.

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON
reply to JCohen

I think considering one can get 60/1 in Cogeco territory I would think they would be offering the 28/1 too. Even if they can't offer that speed they do have unlimited offerings for all their internet packages I believe.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by DeViLzzz:

I think considering one can get 60/1 in Cogeco territory I would think they would be offering the 28/1 too. Even if they can't offer that speed they do have unlimited offerings for all their internet packages I believe.

That's not how speed plans work. The only place that Distributel offers cable internet in the Cogeco territory is in Windsor and the only speed tiers that they offer are the same ones offered to Cogeco retail customers.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DeViLzzz

said by DeViLzzz:

Cogeco has 30/2 in their territory.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by TypeS:

Cogeco has 30/2 in their territory.

... and 60/2, which Start offers.

I suspect the price of 60/2 is going to go through the roof this week, though.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Gone:

I suspect the price of 60/2 is going to go through the roof this week, though.

You're right about that..
»[Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I'm cringing at the thought of what's going to happen to my legacy 30/2 bill, believe me.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
reply to rudeboy24

Teksavvy just released prices for Cogeco in case people didn't see it. Damn that's high.

The Throttle

@videotron.ca

said by geokilla:

Teksavvy just released prices for Cogeco in case people didn't see it. Damn that's high.

They are also considering (toying with the idea of) throttling.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Yeah, Marc said he had no choice but to "be creative"

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to The Throttle

said by The Throttle :

said by geokilla:

Which is what Acanac is doing.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to The Throttle

said by The Throttle :

said by geokilla:

no no.. our main packages would never be throttled..

I meant, if ever we have the ability to give an individual that option.. i.e. each could decided that for themselves via our customer portal or something like that... we might look at that if it made any sense.

it's not an option right now though.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Opt-in demand-based traffic management could make unlimited a much more palatable option for everyone involved.

XNemesis

join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON
reply to rocca

Thanks Rocca,

I'm salivating at the idea of 150/10 but after seeing the TSI Cogeco rates for their 60 package, that just downright terrifying so imagining what the $$$ will be like for a Roger's side 150/10 has me mentally running to the hills screaming like a little girl.

I hope I'll be laughing instead to be using the 150/10 with a 350GB Cap for less than Rogers if possible.

MaryMWebster

@videotron.ca
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Yeah, Marc said he had no choice but to "be creative"

I guess this can also be called innovative, stimulating and imaginative.

geokilla

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

»[Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers

Sorry Start... Looks like I won't be switching after all. I get an extra 50GB for the same price. Also have the option of getting unlimited.

Is it free to change speeds with Start?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by geokilla:

Is it free to change speeds with Start?

In most cases yes, ie not on DSL moving between technologies (ie ADSL to VDSL), but for cable all speed tiers, yes no charges.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to geokilla

You may be able to get an extra 50GB with TekSavvy but you won't be able to get the new faster speeds until they migrate over to the APOIs.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
reply to XNemesis

$84.99 for 300 GB cap for Teksavvy.

Not that bad. I might consider it.

geokilla

North York, ON
reply to geokilla

So it says people have been posting in this thread.. But I can't see the new posts?

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

said by geokilla:

So it says people have been posting in this thread.. But I can't see the new posts?

ya i noticed that too.. i'm thinking this thread was broken and one of the mods fixed it.

DeViLzzz

Sarnia, ON
reply to stevey_frac

Not that bad ? LOL We are trying to get better value and cheaper internet from ISPs. Don't settle for a price like that. Sheesh

DeViLzzz

Sarnia, ON
reply to rocca

How long Rocca til we see the new plans from Start.ca ? Do I even need to bother to check this site or the Start.ca website for the next 25 days or more ?

silvercat

join:2007-11-07

I believe Rocca stated in the Start forum that new pricing will be announced today.

sbdep

join:2013-01-15
Nepean, ON

And it's up in the Start Communications forums.

»Updated package preview

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

The 4th new post makes each page appear.

Or you can edit the URL to increase the number at the end of the address.