join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by geokilla:

Is it free to change speeds with Start?

In most cases yes, ie not on DSL moving between technologies (ie ADSL to VDSL), but for cable all speed tiers, yes no charges.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
You may be able to get an extra 50GB with TekSavvy but you won't be able to get the new faster speeds until they migrate over to the APOIs.
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac to XNemesis

to XNemesis
$84.99 for 300 GB cap for Teksavvy.

Not that bad. I might consider it.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

So it says people have been posting in this thread.. But I can't see the new posts?
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

said by geokilla:

So it says people have been posting in this thread.. But I can't see the new posts?

ya i noticed that too.. i'm thinking this thread was broken and one of the mods fixed it.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz to stevey_frac

to stevey_frac
Not that bad ? LOL We are trying to get better value and cheaper internet from ISPs. Don't settle for a price like that. Sheesh
DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz to rocca

to rocca
How long Rocca til we see the new plans from Start.ca ? Do I even need to bother to check this site or the Start.ca website for the next 25 days or more ?

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

I believe Rocca stated in the Start forum that new pricing will be announced today.
sbdep
join:2013-01-15
Nepean, ON

sbdep

And it's up in the Start Communications forums.

»Updated package preview

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

The 4th new post makes each page appear.

Or you can edit the URL to increase the number at the end of the address.

HondaGuy
@start.ca

HondaGuy to rocca

Anon

to rocca
Ive just joined up on Start..love it so far, just a question tho, when I do a speedtest to test out the speed, it always says in connecting a server in Bayfield?? What gives, it never use to be connecting there, its like 120-125ms...

Before when I signed up my testing would connect from Toronto

Any ideas? I get moved

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34

Glad to see another Start customer!

Yeah, either that speedtest.net site in Bayfield is new, or your IP address is being geo-located at another location, different than before. Speedtest.net has been defaulting to that Bayfield for me lately too (Tuckersmith Comm).

Just use 'nexicom.speedtest.net' (no www) and BEGIN TEST, YOUR PREFERRED SERVER,
... OR ...
Hover your mouse over Toronto, and click on Nexicom.

Nexicom is the suggested speedtest server for Start.
Beanfield out of Toronto would be choice #2.

Start may implement their own test site this year.

Also... Start's own junior forum here on DSLR...
»Start.ca

FiberToTheX
Premium Member
join:2013-03-14

FiberToTheX to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
I just checked the Start Website and it says that I have FTTN 15/1 available at my location.

However when I check Bell's website it shows not available.

Would it accurate to say that Bell's website is more accurate ?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Bell typically is more accurate as you can have situations like described above where two houses next to each other qualify for different levels of service even though they may share the same postal code.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to rocca

to rocca
Small note if you don't know, check with your phone# to have accurate results. Checking with postal code will not give you accurate result.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Bell will do a direct address lookup even without a phone number which is still more accurate than actual postal code.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We have a lookup tool now by address which does DSL qualification.

It even looks at estimated speed rates and if significantly different than advertised will also include that info, ie say a 25/10 package is estimated to be 25/5 instead it will let you know that. If it doesn't say anything about estimated speeds when you use it that means you are expected to get full or close to full speed at your location - the estimator isn't guaranteed speeds of course, but it's pretty accurate.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Just checked it out now. Very nice. Well done indeed!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Thanks!
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Bell will do a direct address lookup even without a phone number which is still more accurate than actual postal code.

I had Bell with the Dell promotion a while back and and am a current subscriber (forced to take their DSL with FibeTV)...and according to their lookup tools I am no eligible for DSL regardless of what I put in (address, phone number)

:P

tried your tool for fun, pulls my address properly but says the same thing. Although in this case it could be because I am out of your service area

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Their tool breaks... often. It also won't do a lookup for someone who already has DSL.

When it works it works well, though.

jasmo34
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34 to rocca

to rocca

Re: Start Communications - 25M & 50M DSL Available

Well, earlier posts talked about the new DSL qualification tool; I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention the new DSL plans here in Mega-Thread...

25/10 and 50/10 DSL plans now available on the Start website...
»start.ca/services/highspeed

More info (and promo special) in the Start junior forum also...
»Higher speed DSL packages (and promo)

Aargh... new-page delay, again! I wish DSLR would FIX this bug!
jasmo34

jasmo34

Ba-da-bump!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Ladies & Germs, may I present, for your viewing and posting pleasure, Page # 86 !

Smile fo' da camera, new page !

BTW, incrementing the number at the right of the address by 20 makes a hidden page visible, folks.

And 4th post (like this one) births the new page.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Gone

MVM

to Gone

said by Gone:

Their tool breaks... often. It also won't do a lookup for someone who already has DSL.

When it works it works well, though.

Bell will do a lookup for somebdoy who has GAS or FTTN-GAS service, it just won't do lookups for Bell customers. In that case, however, you can do the lookup through the Bell customer service portal.

EDIT: Start's lookup doesn't work for me, I also get the Bell host error.

jasmo34
~ London ~

jasmo34

I got some sort of "Bell Redirect" error on Start's new lookup; I just retried a couple times and it then worked, with the exact same input params!
docbill
join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

docbill to jasmo34

to jasmo34

Re: Start Communications - 25M & 50M DSL Available

If only this came at the beginning of the month. I finally decided to cancel Bell. I signed up with Velcom to replace my DSL service. The reviews for Velcom are not that good, but the price is right, and since I already have cable internet from Start, the DSL is just for the peace of mind of having two alternative connections available to avoid outages. I would have loved to have gone with Start for the DSL, but at the time there was no competitive package available.

BurlingtonGy
@cgocable.net

BurlingtonGy to rocca

Anon

to rocca

Well..Cogeco just added 100 more gigs to the Ultimate 30 plan. Now Starts plan is 30/200 and Cogeco's is 30/275 ..guess they got tired of people leaving. Sorry...going to stay with Cogeco now.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Understood, we're not for everyone. Some things to keep in mind though would be that we're still $22/mo cheaper and have unlimited 2am to 8am which at 30Mbps is almost 3000 GB's of possible free usage too.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

said by rocca:

Understood, we're not for everyone. Some things to keep in mind though would be that we're still $22/mo cheaper and have unlimited 2am to 8am which at 30Mbps is almost 3000 GB's of possible free usage too.

But realistically, who will stay up or set their computer so it downloads from 2am to 8am... Just saying