rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

1 edit

rednekcowboy to geokilla

to geokilla

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by geokilla:

said by rocca:

Understood, we're not for everyone. Some things to keep in mind though would be that we're still $22/mo cheaper and have unlimited 2am to 8am which at 30Mbps is almost 3000 GB's of possible free usage too.

But realistically, who will stay up or set their computer so it downloads from 2am to 8am... Just saying

Why would you stay up? You can schedule your downloads to run at that timeframe, it's not difficult to do.

Why do people have to shit all over something that is given to them. If Ebox did this, I would most certainly do the majority of my downloading in that time period.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I don't think people are intentionally shitting on it so much as they are trying to grasp at whatever they can to try and justify the higher costs they pay to stay with an incumbent.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

said by rocca:

Understood, we're not for everyone. Some things to keep in mind though would be that we're still $22/mo cheaper and have unlimited 2am to 8am which at 30Mbps is almost 3000 GB's of possible free usage too.

But realistically, who will stay up or set their computer so it downloads from 2am to 8am... Just saying

I posted this last week »Download Manager (Firefox Addon), it's a download manager addon for Firefox and it has a scheduler built in.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to rocca

MVM

to rocca

1,118 GB total, 183GB billable.
I don't know if Start also doesn't count upstream, but here's a shot of my TekSavvy usage for March. I was not taking advantage of the new policies all month (most of the off-peak bandwidth was the past week as I scheduled a lot of backlogged stuff).

This is a good example of how you can get a lot of bang for your buck. I have a 300GB cap. In practice, the upstream and off-peak bandwidth isn't costing my ISP anything anyhow.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz to JC_

to JC_
Ah yes Firefox. The browser that acted so ****** up for weeks recently that I had to remove it from my computer. Pretty bad when IE is running better than Firefox and omg I actually also installed Google Chrome when I don't want to be using Google products. It is going to be hard to use that addon you suggested JCohen when I can't get that Firefox browser to behave.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Based on the amount of free usage every night, quite a few.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
I've had issues with Firefox in the past that I ended up just creating a new Firefox profile and everything was working again, this might be an option for you even if you only use Firefox just for DownThemAll.
JC_

JC_ to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I don't know if Start also doesn't count upstream...

Start is not counting upstream against a users cap.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

2 edits

DeViLzzz to JC_

to JC_
Ok already lost with DownThemAll. I went to download a file and saw nothing about setting up a time to download it. If I need to type out all sorts of commands and bs I can't do it. Heck I never even was taught html so bye bye Firefox and bye bye DownThemAll.

Glad I didn't switch yet from my grandfathered 300 GB per month cuz I am not finding a simple solution to download at certain times.

Eh I guess I could set my alarm clock to wake me at 2 am and 8 am n deal with downloads that way if I switch. LOLOLOL
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to rocca

to rocca
Here is mine, I did last month.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Guru:

Nice, what plan are you on?
Guru

Guru

said by JC_:

said by Guru:

Nice, what plan are you on?

60/2/300

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to rocca

MVM

to rocca
I just set uTorrent to have unlimited periods between 2 and 8, and limited the rest of the time. I set the limited speed at 50KB/s downstream (no upstream limit), and no limit the rest of the time.

There's no manual action required, it's all automatic. I just dump torrents into uTorrent, and it handles the bandwidth stuff. If I actually want something immediately rather than waiting, I just temporarily raise the limit (two clicks on the icon in the system tray), then set it back after.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I don't know if Start also doesn't count upstream, but here's a shot of my TekSavvy usage for March. I was not taking advantage of the new policies all month (most of the off-peak bandwidth was the past week as I scheduled a lot of backlogged stuff).

This is a good example of how you can get a lot of bang for your buck. I have a 300GB cap. In practice, the upstream and off-peak bandwidth isn't costing my ISP anything anyhow.

Quite a lot of people watch Netflix, Twitch.tv, YouTube and other similar services that just eat up bandwidth (not to mention online game purchases and downloads getting bigger and bigger).

I love the off-peak downloads, but I think the alloted peak cap may not be large enough for normal usage anymore (or getting there).

What if you have multiple people watching youtube/Netflix/twitch at the same time? What if you have an IPTV service?

Traditional cap model would need to change in the future IMO. Not sure what it will become - probably not "unlimited", but exceptions could be made for some services (i.e. Youtube, which is heavily cached anyways).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to rocca

MVM

to rocca
Even a SuperHD Netflix stream is only about 3.5 GB/hr, and IPTV is typically less than that...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Tsk, Tsk - By that screenshot, it looks like TSI is still referring to monthly usage as bandwidth - SHAME !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I just set uTorrent to have unlimited periods between 2 and 8, and limited the rest of the time. I set the limited speed at 50KB/s downstream (no upstream limit), and no limit the rest of the time.

There's no manual action required, it's all automatic. I just dump torrents into uTorrent, and it handles the bandwidth stuff. If I actually want something immediately rather than waiting, I just temporarily raise the limit (two clicks on the icon in the system tray), then set it back after.

In what version did uT add THAT degree of function control ?

And are there any OTHER reasons which might make it worth my while to move to a newer version from my otherwise perfectly functioning 2.0.1 ?

I did notice that mine would optionally let me set a monthly usage cap to not exceed, though.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Even a SuperHD Netflix stream is only about 3.5 GB/hr, and IPTV is typically less than that...

OK, let's crunch the numbers a bit:
- Say you're watching SuperHD Netflix 3 hours a day 7 days a week - that's 3 * 7 * 4 * 3.5 GB = 294 GB.
- I would say a 1080p transmission would need a minimum of 1MB/sec (could be more or less than that depending on service). Assuming the same 3 hours/day, usage per month is:
(1 * 60 * 60 * 3 * 7 * 4) / 1024 = ~295 GB
- You can probably assume similar numbers for 1080p YouTube.

What if you have 2 people using these services at the same time on the same connection? What if you want to use your Internet for other things as well?

Bandwidth usage grows every year and it's getting to the point soon when the alloted caps just will not be enough (if we're not there already).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Davesnothere

MVM

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

In what version did uT add THAT degree of function control ?

I don't know what version it was added, but some googling shows that uTorrent already had the scheduler 6 years ago...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

....some googling shows that uTorrent already had the scheduler 6 years ago...

....which indubitably paints me as a late adopter.

Of course, 6 years ago, we had not even gotten AROUND to fighting nor bitching about ISPs' throttling nor UBB, let alone concerning ourselves with bandwidth capacity management as we do with today's draconian CBB rules.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to rocca

MVM

to rocca
Caps were common a decade ago. My ISP in 2005 had a 30GB cap (30, not 300) and unlimited off-peak, so many people did similar kinds of scheduling things.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Guspaz:

....some googling shows that uTorrent already had the scheduler 6 years ago...

....which indubitably paints me as a late adopter.

Of course, 6 years ago, we had not even gotten AROUND to fighting nor bitching about ISPs' throttling nor UBB, let alone concerning ourselves with bandwidth capacity management as we do with today's draconian CBB rules.

I strongly beg to differ. I was most definitely bitching about throttling 6 years ago, and well before that. You'd be more accurate to say 16 years ago...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rednekcowboy:

I strongly beg to differ. I was most definitely bitching about throttling 6 years ago, and well before that. You'd be more accurate to say 16 years ago...

Throttling did not begin to bother ME until Bell snuck it in on the Indie ISPs and their customers, targetting p2p traffic, which was only around the time that I joined DSLR in 2009, and though I agree that there WERE some monthly usage caps before that, I (perhaps naively) had not yet found all that much which I wished to download.

rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy

said by Davesnothere:

said by rednekcowboy:

Throttling did not begin to bother ME until Bell snuck it in on the Indie ISPs and their customers, targetting p2p traffic, which was only around the time that I joined DSLR in 2009, and though I agree that there WERE some monthly usage caps before that, I (perhaps naively) had not yet found all that much which I wished to download.

The years tend to run together and I admit 16 years was a bit of a stretch but can say without a doubt that my battles began with Robbers and Bhell over throttling prior to 6 years ago. Actually when my wife and I got married in 2005, I had an epic battle with Robbers and my fight with Bell was a year or two prior to that.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rednekcowboy:

The years tend to run together....

I seem to recall some folks here saying that Rogers began throttling UPLOADS (which of course influences download speeds indirectly) of their own retail subscribers sometime before Bell started their BS with Indie ISPs.

I also recall reading here that Bell was throttling their own retail customers before the light bulb came on in their heads to do it to Indie ISPs' customers too, and that last part is what I believe would have begun around 2009.

Not sure who throttled their respective retail customers first, though.
Guru

Guru to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

IIf I actually want something immediately rather than waiting, I just temporarily raise the limit (two clicks on the icon in the system tray), then set it back after.

Forse Start
docbill
join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

docbill to Sanek

to Sanek
I hear you. My son easily uses 7 GB per day, when I let him watch youtube. My wife also will use 7 GB per day when she is not working. My own use is variable, but 7 GB per person is a reasonable estimate. So if we all had a month of being able to use the internet has much as we want that is 630 GB. That is just watching videos, that is not actually doing downloads or such...

Fortunately right now I have 700 GB capacity so, I don't need to worry much. 400 GB Velcom DSL, and 300 GB Start Communications Cable. On the average month I use about 400 GB total.

alotofGB
@cogeco.net

alotofGB

Anon

Just think of how much time is actually wasted per day if you are watching 7GB of video, per person.

So much of the days of sitting as a family and watching a show or going outside and doing something that gives a better benefit then youtube.

Does your family skype each other in the house instead of talking lol.

FTTHTechie
@axxent.ca

FTTHTechie to rocca

Anon

to rocca
I have a few questions Rocca wouldn't mind answering:

1. Is there a maximum cap on overage charges ?
2. Do uploads count towards the cap or is it a similar policy like TekSavvy ?
3. Will Unlimited plans be offered
4. Is there a usage tool/calculator offered ?
5. What kind of process is involved with moving from one service provider to another and DSL to Cable and Vice Versa (Cable to DSL)
6. Is there a dry-loop fee or is it waived ?

I'm looking to switch from one service provider to another hopefully sometime this year soon and I'm looking at both TSI or Start

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by FTTHTechie :

I have a few questions Rocca wouldn't mind answering:

1. Is there a maximum cap on overage charges ?
2. Do uploads count towards the cap or is it a similar policy like TekSavvy ?
3. Will Unlimited plans be offered
4. Is there a usage tool/calculator offered ?
5. What kind of process is involved with moving from one service provider to another and DSL to Cable and Vice Versa (Cable to DSL)
6. Is there a dry-loop fee or is it waived ?

I'm looking to switch from one service provider to another hopefully sometime this year soon and I'm looking at both TSI or Start

1. No.
2. No, uploads are free.
3. They are on lower tiers, possible that they will on higher tiers in the future.
4. Yes.
5. Changing technologies are 'new installs'.
6. We only charge dry loop on our Basic DSL tier, included on all others.

Thanks.