Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to rocca

MVM

to rocca

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

Caps were common a decade ago. My ISP in 2005 had a 30GB cap (30, not 300) and unlimited off-peak, so many people did similar kinds of scheduling things.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Guspaz:

....some googling shows that uTorrent already had the scheduler 6 years ago...

....which indubitably paints me as a late adopter.

Of course, 6 years ago, we had not even gotten AROUND to fighting nor bitching about ISPs' throttling nor UBB, let alone concerning ourselves with bandwidth capacity management as we do with today's draconian CBB rules.

I strongly beg to differ. I was most definitely bitching about throttling 6 years ago, and well before that. You'd be more accurate to say 16 years ago...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rednekcowboy:

I strongly beg to differ. I was most definitely bitching about throttling 6 years ago, and well before that. You'd be more accurate to say 16 years ago...

Throttling did not begin to bother ME until Bell snuck it in on the Indie ISPs and their customers, targetting p2p traffic, which was only around the time that I joined DSLR in 2009, and though I agree that there WERE some monthly usage caps before that, I (perhaps naively) had not yet found all that much which I wished to download.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by Davesnothere:

said by rednekcowboy:

Throttling did not begin to bother ME until Bell snuck it in on the Indie ISPs and their customers, targetting p2p traffic, which was only around the time that I joined DSLR in 2009, and though I agree that there WERE some monthly usage caps before that, I (perhaps naively) had not yet found all that much which I wished to download.

The years tend to run together and I admit 16 years was a bit of a stretch but can say without a doubt that my battles began with Robbers and Bhell over throttling prior to 6 years ago. Actually when my wife and I got married in 2005, I had an epic battle with Robbers and my fight with Bell was a year or two prior to that.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rednekcowboy:

The years tend to run together....

I seem to recall some folks here saying that Rogers began throttling UPLOADS (which of course influences download speeds indirectly) of their own retail subscribers sometime before Bell started their BS with Indie ISPs.

I also recall reading here that Bell was throttling their own retail customers before the light bulb came on in their heads to do it to Indie ISPs' customers too, and that last part is what I believe would have begun around 2009.

Not sure who throttled their respective retail customers first, though.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

IIf I actually want something immediately rather than waiting, I just temporarily raise the limit (two clicks on the icon in the system tray), then set it back after.

Forse Start
docbill
join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

docbill to Sanek

to Sanek
I hear you. My son easily uses 7 GB per day, when I let him watch youtube. My wife also will use 7 GB per day when she is not working. My own use is variable, but 7 GB per person is a reasonable estimate. So if we all had a month of being able to use the internet has much as we want that is 630 GB. That is just watching videos, that is not actually doing downloads or such...

Fortunately right now I have 700 GB capacity so, I don't need to worry much. 400 GB Velcom DSL, and 300 GB Start Communications Cable. On the average month I use about 400 GB total.

alotofGB
@cogeco.net

alotofGB

Anon

Just think of how much time is actually wasted per day if you are watching 7GB of video, per person.

So much of the days of sitting as a family and watching a show or going outside and doing something that gives a better benefit then youtube.

Does your family skype each other in the house instead of talking lol.

FTTHTechie
@axxent.ca

FTTHTechie to rocca

Anon

to rocca
I have a few questions Rocca wouldn't mind answering:

1. Is there a maximum cap on overage charges ?
2. Do uploads count towards the cap or is it a similar policy like TekSavvy ?
3. Will Unlimited plans be offered
4. Is there a usage tool/calculator offered ?
5. What kind of process is involved with moving from one service provider to another and DSL to Cable and Vice Versa (Cable to DSL)
6. Is there a dry-loop fee or is it waived ?

I'm looking to switch from one service provider to another hopefully sometime this year soon and I'm looking at both TSI or Start

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by FTTHTechie :

I have a few questions Rocca wouldn't mind answering:

1. Is there a maximum cap on overage charges ?
2. Do uploads count towards the cap or is it a similar policy like TekSavvy ?
3. Will Unlimited plans be offered
4. Is there a usage tool/calculator offered ?
5. What kind of process is involved with moving from one service provider to another and DSL to Cable and Vice Versa (Cable to DSL)
6. Is there a dry-loop fee or is it waived ?

I'm looking to switch from one service provider to another hopefully sometime this year soon and I'm looking at both TSI or Start

1. No.
2. No, uploads are free.
3. They are on lower tiers, possible that they will on higher tiers in the future.
4. Yes.
5. Changing technologies are 'new installs'.
6. We only charge dry loop on our Basic DSL tier, included on all others.

Thanks.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz

Hey rocca if there is any way to switch me to 30/2 200 GB and 2 am to 8 am unlimited even though it is a weekend make it so. I understand I will be giving up my grandfathered plan for good but I am cool with it.
Guru

Guru

said by DeViLzzz:

Hey rocca if there is any way to switch me to 30/2 200 GB and 2 am to 8 am unlimited even though it is a weekend make it so. I understand I will be giving up my grandfathered plan for good but I am cool with it.

IM or email him.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to alotofGB

to alotofGB
said by alotofGB :

Just think of how much time is actually wasted per day if you are watching 7GB of video, per person.

So much of the days of sitting as a family and watching a show or going outside and doing something that gives a better benefit then youtube.

Does your family skype each other in the house instead of talking lol.

Lol exactly what I was thinking... Some people really make it sound like they got no life outside of the Internet >.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz to Guru

to Guru
I did but also posted here.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
and so what if that is the case. I'll say I don't have much of a life going out and doing crap costs money and money is something I don't want to spend a lot of right now plus the weather is shit so not like you can do much outside yet anyway.

here be my useage on my rogers 25/2

Details for April 01, 2013 - April 30, 2013
Usage to date: 540.77 GB
Additional Use Charges: $0.00

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

I did but also posted here.

PM'd. Thanks.
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

and so what if that is the case. I'll say I don't have much of a life going out and doing crap costs money and money is something I don't want to spend a lot of right now plus the weather is shit so not like you can do much outside yet anyway.

here be my useage on my rogers 25/2

Details for April 01, 2013 - April 30, 2013
Usage to date: 540.77 GB
Additional Use Charges: $0.00

Don't you have friends? Or social gatherings to attend? 541GB in 7 days... Wtf.

Explains why so many people in real life or so rude or have problem being in a social environment, have trouble communicating, etc. All they do is sit in front of a computer all day everyday.

^Note the above is my opinion, based on real life experiences.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

and yet you act like an ass then say people have issues communicating. Nothing says cool like saying how much a cool guy you are online. It takes all of 10 mins to download some stuff and queue it up by the by.

All you did was make yourself an ass. internet you win at it. whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess.
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla

said by TOPDAWG:

and yet you act like an ass then say people have issues communicating. Nothing says cool like saying how much a cool guy you are online. It takes all of 10 mins to download some stuff and queue it up by the by.

All you did was make yourself an ass. internet you win at it. whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess.

Um.. on average you're using between 75GB to 80GB a day... If you're downloading blu-ray 1080P rips then I can understand where the high usage is coming from. Otherwise you seriously need to get out more. Where do you get all the time to watch all that content? >.>
Guru

Guru

Why are you judging someone's life over how much a person is downloading?

I don't have any rights, you don't have any rights and NOBODY has any rights to judge anyone's life except yourself!!!

In all fairness, everyone is entitled to their shit and has reasons to do what he/she does. And if you become social, what are you going to do? Talk shit about people, going to be like a gossip girl?
Guru

Guru

If it makes you feel any better, my usage was 1.2 TB last month. What are you going to say about that? I don't have a life? Okay buddy, move on...
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla

said by Guru:

If it makes you feel any better, my usage was 1.2 TB last month. What are you going to say about that? I don't have a life? Okay buddy, move on...

Took the words out of my mouth. But ok. Enjoy your TB of downloads.

And to be fair, your 1.2TB is "measly" as it's only averaging 40GB/day...
Expand your moderator at work
Guru

Guru to geokilla

to geokilla

said by geokilla:

Took the words out of my mouth.

Just being social

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000 to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
Less than 600gb over 30 days is less than 20gb/day, not 75 to 80.

That could be 1 movie in 1080p format.
Expand your moderator at work
docbill
join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

docbill to DeViLzzz

to DeViLzzz

It would be really great if the could just offer both plans. The free 2 am to 8 am is great for downloaders, but not so good for people who like to stream videos. I've my own analysis and for it is pretty much a break even proposition. But using the free time period would be much effort.

New customers who do not schedule downloads will simply see: Start = 200 GB, Cogeco = 275 GB.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by docbill:

It would be really great if the could just offer both plans. The free 2 am to 8 am is great for downloaders, but not so good for people who like to stream videos. I've my own analysis and for it is pretty much a break even proposition. But using the free time period would be much effort.

New customers who do not schedule downloads will simply see: Start = 200 GB, Cogeco = 275 GB.

can't do much about Cogeco pricing, should it be sold as a loss? really it's up to the consumer to decide if it's worth it, you have potentially a free TB or so of bandwidth if you can schedule your large downloads at night.

but if you're household is simply doing live streaming or peak usage, then obviously and the choice is simple.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to docbill

Premium Member

to docbill
said by docbill:

Unfortunately that's the way the tariffed costs are right now, I know Cogeco is working hard to prevent exodus and we'll continue to improve when/where we can. Obviously Cogeco's own network cost continues to go down, yet our rates are still super-compensatory.

Hopefully new customers will also see Start = $50, Cogeco = $72 (with another Cogeco hike rumoured in May/June), and the vast majority of consumers are still well under 100GB (even many lighter streamers - ie about 100 hours/month) so for many people this will mean a significant savings.
rocca

rocca

Premium Member

said by rocca:

so for many people this will mean a significant savings.

...as well as getting awesome support and being the 'cool kid on the block' of course...