·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to rocca

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by rocca:

said by brassy:

All Rogers territories?

Or the same scam as the rest? No Barrie, no Brantford, etcetc?

All Rogers territories (except for Ottawa which will be up for April), ie, yes, Barrie, Brantford, etc...

Are you guys using an aggregated POI for Rogers and Cogeco? If you are what is the reason for delaying the launch in Ottawa?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to khronlk
said by khronlk:

Does these mean packages from your own service or does this mean if someone has cable set up with either Cogeco or Rogers as well?

The later, ie as long as you have active cable with any provider then the installation is currently waived.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

How'd they manage to do what Teksavvy has been trying to do for ages with Cogeco or was Teksavvy just feeding those people a line.

It's been a two year process for us.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to rocca
March 21st.

The due date for our first child.

The date Cogeco territory finally gets some decent TPIA.

This is awesome news. March 21st is a good day for so many reasons!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Yes! Fantastic!

Where do I sign up?

For Cogeco signups will begin in about two weeks (anticipated date of March 21st), the link for signup is www.start.ca/services/signup

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to khronlk
Officially Rogers wants you to have a DOC3 modem for speeds 18mb and above, but I'm with Distributel ,and I've had my old 5100 for years it continues to provide from the lowly 5 or 7mb when I got it all the way up to the 28 today.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Night Owl
said by Night Owl:

Will we be permitted to bring our own modem? The site only lists a rental option ($5.00/month) or purchase option ($69.95-->DOCSIS 2 or $$99.95-->DOCSIS 3).

Hey, also noticed they have a free shipping promo on purchased modems.

During our soft-launch until the 21st we don't have a bring-your-own-modem option, but it will be available during general launch. (provided it's compatible of course)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
A family member has a SB5100 , which should have no issues pulling 20mb (in Cogeco land)

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to rocca
Another good thing From their signup page p:)
We also are offering a 30-day money back guarentee if you are not happy with our service for any reason.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by neuromancer1:

How'd they manage to do what Teksavvy has been trying to do for ages with Cogeco or was Teksavvy just feeding those people a line.

It's been a two year process for us.

I think Teksavvy has been trying longer with Cogeco but there kind of going down the drain right now. Good to see competition and cable for those people in areas that Teksavvy doesn't service.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to JCohen
said by JCohen:

Are you guys using an aggregated POI for Rogers and Cogeco? If you are what is the reason for delaying the launch in Ottawa?

Yes, we're on aggregated for both. Reason for delay on Ottawa is simply a minor technical one, should be resolved shortly.

khronlk

join:2009-10-26
Sarnia, ON
reply to rocca
Rocca is the 20mbps service available for Sarnia?,

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by khronlk:

Rocca is the 20mbps service available for Sarnia?,

If you PM me your address I can qualify for you.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by JCohen:

Yes, we're on aggregated for both. Reason for delay on Ottawa is simply a minor technical one, should be resolved shortly.

Rocca I hope you realize that This particular can of worms you have just opened is going to literally Increase your business by THOUSANDS of customers maybe 10-20 thousand, and are prepared for the extreme volume coming your way callcenters/ backhaul ordering wise. i forsee those 10g cnis being ate up within 3 months
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by JCohen:

Makes sense.

Got a few questions.

1. As you are on an aggregated POI what is the overage cost per GB?
2. Will you be offering an unlimited connection at some point?
3. Do you have a working bandwidth check for both providers?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

said by rocca:

said by JCohen:

Rocca I hope you realize that This particular can of worms you have just opened is going to literally Increase your business by THOUSANDS of customers maybe 10-20 thousand, and are prepared for the extreme volume coming your way callcenters/ backhaul ordering wise. i forsee those 10g cnis being ate up within 3 months

Agreed, Cogeco is going to have a huge outflux of customers jumping to Start just for the increased caps alone.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to JCohen
said by JCohen:

The million dollar question. Even 25 cents/GB would be doable. I can't see it being anything higher than that.

I've never gone over 300GB. If the incumbents had these kind of plans there would be far less anger among customers.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
The website indicates 50c/GB

Additional usage is 50 cents per GB on non-unlimited usage plans

The difference though is the incumbents have a TV distribution networks to protect.

With Shaw/Bell/Rogers they also have broadcast networks to protect.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

Network wise we're good for about 80Gbps before our next upgrade.

Staffing is incremental and we've added more office space, but it is certainly something we're keeping a close eye on and will scale our marketing/sales efforts accordingly and if needed suspend sales until backend things catch up.

We've been in business for over 15 years and I've seen the destructive powers of hyper-growth, so we're doing our best to grow at a pace that ensures we maintain the high quality of service and support our customers are used to. If that means slowing things down and keeping current customers happy, it's something we're prepared to do.

Night Owl

join:2008-10-23
London, ON
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by Night Owl:

Will we be permitted to bring our own modem? The site only lists a rental option ($5.00/month) or purchase option ($69.95-->DOCSIS 2 or $$99.95-->DOCSIS 3).

Hey, also noticed they have a free shipping promo on purchased modems.

During our soft-launch until the 21st we don't have a bring-your-own-modem option, but it will be available during general launch. (provided it's compatible of course)

Thank you...that's good news.

Don't want to bombard you with too many questions but one other: Will there be a charge for account changes?

For example, if I sign up for the Standard Cable service w/200GB usage and later you offer unlimited for $x.xx more will I need to pay a fee to upgrade?
--
What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away. - Anonymous

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to JCohen
said by JCohen:

Got a few questions.

2. Will you be offering an unlimited connection at some point?
3. Do you have a working bandwidth check for both providers?

1. 50 cents currently.

2. We're very active CNOC participant and working to get the capacity rates down to where they belong. If we're successful there then I forsee a day were unlimited could be available at higher speeds. With current rates though it's just not possible as the risk is in the several hundred dollars per customer.

3. For Rogers we're working on a solution, Cogeco should be in place for April.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Night Owl
said by Night Owl:

Will there be a charge for account changes?

For example, if I sign up for the Standard Cable service w/200GB usage and later you offer unlimited for $x.xx more will I need to pay a fee to upgrade?

There are no plans to pass those charges on at this time, if it becomes an issue later we may have to address it at that time, but I don't suspect it will...

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to rocca
rocca; I would recommend separating your DSL offerings from you Cable page and than make it clearer for the cable offering between the regions, like bold text saying Rogers Region and Cogeco Region.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by JCohen:

rocca; I would recommend separating your DSL offerings from you Cable page and than make it clearer for the cable offering between the regions, like bold text saying Rogers Region and Cogeco Region.

Our entire site will be redone in a few weeks (just wasn't able to get it launched in time and didn't want to hold back cable any longer), but appreciate your input.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by Night Owl:

Will there be a charge for account changes?

There are no plans to pass those charges on at this time, if it becomes an issue later we may have to address it at that time, but I don't suspect it will...

Why would their be a fee to move between capped and unlimited in the same speed tier as it's just a database change Start Com's end.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to rocca
Just signed up. I'd like to know still if you allow people to bring their own modem.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Last Parade:

Just signed up. I'd like to know still if you allow people to bring their own modem.

Was answered already here »Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco.

JCohen
Premium
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by JCohen:

Our entire site will be redone in a few weeks (just wasn't able to get it launched in time and didn't want to hold back cable any longer), but appreciate your input.

Looking forward to the new design.

Last Parade

Port Colborne, ON
reply to JCohen
said by JCohen:

said by Last Parade:

Was answered already here »Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco.

Yeah just caught that. Still no firm date though.

Last Parade

Port Colborne, ON
reply to rocca
OP Please advise on a referral program. I have a couple hundred disgruntled customers I'd like to sign up.