Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by Gone:

Any chance of there being pre-purchased extra bandwidth bundles available at a reduced rate versus the 50 cent overage fees?

Down the road certainly possible, but for initial launch we're taking a cautious approach until we see how the traffic patterns differ from what we're used to with DSL.

brassy
join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON

brassy to rocca

to rocca
Any discounts for former multiboard users?

Cool that you are doing the whole areas, including this hole we call Brantford..

tonytoronto
join:2007-10-31
Toronto, ON

tonytoronto to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Hopefully

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to brassy

Premium Member

to brassy
said by brassy:

Any discounts for former multiboard users?

Goin' old school there! Please, no one look up our old 1997 multiboard.com web page on archive.org.... Terrible. F-.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by andyb:

looks good and tempting but 200GB just wont cut it for me.I bounce around from 150 to 350.Overages would kill me some months

I hear ya - we won't be right for everyone, and we do have unlimited on lower speed packages. You never know what might happen down the road though - still working with the CRTC on rate review for capacity rates, that could be a game changer.

I just may switch if the standard gets bumped up.I see nothing unlimited on your site thou

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

Down the road certainly possible, but for initial launch we're taking a cautious approach until we see how the traffic patterns differ from what we're used to with DSL.

Smart. The last thing we want is to deal with slowdowns due to available capacity to Cogeco not being able to handle subscriber load.
QL0G1C
join:2007-02-20
King City

QL0G1C to rocca

to rocca
I hope King City will be avalaible, having a hard time finding a TPIA that covers that area with 20+ speed and unlimited

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
said by andyb:

I just may switch if the standard gets bumped up.I see nothing unlimited on your site thou

The new site should do a better job of displaying it, but it's a $5 upgrade to the Basic package - 2nd last column on the grid.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by Gone:

Any chance of there being pre-purchased extra bandwidth bundles available at a reduced rate versus the 50 cent overage fees?

I saw that you posted earlier that you have a 1Gbps POI link to Cogeco, what's you POI connection to Rogers?
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

He said he has 1gps backhaul, and 10g cnis with both rogers and cogeco.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

I saw that you posted earlier that you have a 1Gbps POI link to Cogeco, what's you POI connection to Rogers?

Also 1Gbps. We're on a 10G CNI though so upgrades are much faster than having to go through a regular build process.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by andyb:

The new site should do a better job of displaying it, but it's a $5 upgrade to the Basic package - 2nd last column on the grid.

Christ I'm blind as a bat I think
slvrsi
join:2009-09-08

slvrsi to rocca

to rocca
I would want to switch in; but with teksavvy I have 300GB even though I mostly use only 100GB/month; i just like the extra safety..... but with aggregated probably avoid all these congested nodes;

so this is free install if I have cable with other TPIA?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by slvrsi:

so this is free install if I have cable with other TPIA?

Correct.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by JC_:

Also 1Gbps. We're on a 10G CNI though so upgrades are much faster than having to go through a regular build process.

CNI?
Carrier Neutral Interface?
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

i think Core Network Interface is the correct Jcohen

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca

Sorry if some of these are already asked....

Can we PRE-ORDER right NOW for Cogeco territory ?

Will Start notify Cogeco of my cancelling with them, or do I have to coordinate that myself ?

How much downtime will there be on a transfer ?

I have an active account with them (to save on your setup fee), but they will of course want THEIR modem back.

Do we HAVE to use your modems, or can we pick up our own (from a list of models which you approve) and just tell you the MAC ?

Will there be a service charge to switch to a different speed or cap later ? (especially to an unlimited which you have not offered so far)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by rocca:

said by JC_:

CNI?
Carrier Neutral Interface?

Sorry, Customer Network Interface.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
said by morisato:

i think Core Network Interface is the correct Jcohen

Ah, that makes more sense. It will definitely speed up the upgrade process and I think they'll need it pretty soon.

---
said by rocca:

Sorry, Customer Network Interface.

So it's a 10Gbps port but you're currently rate limited to 1Gbps?
morisato
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Ahh we were both wrong anyways i envision it as they have a 10g Capable link installed and just need to plug in the other 9g worth of cables basically VS having to install a whole new connection
Expand your moderator at work

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by JC_:

Yeah. That way when they need more it's just a matter of flipping a switch rather than changing the physical port.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
said by morisato:

Ahh we were both wrong anyways i envision it as they have a 10g Capable link installed and just need to plug in the other 9g worth of cables basically VS having to install a whole new connection

Close - the 10G interface is still a single pair of fibre cables, it's just a 1Gbps path going to it.
rocca

rocca to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

Essentially, yes.
rocca

rocca to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Sorry if some of these are already asked....

Can we PRE-ORDER right NOW for Cogeco territory ?

Will Start notify Cogeco of my cancelling with them, or do I have to coordinate that myself ?

How much downtime will there be on a transfer ?

I have an active account with them (to save on your setup fee), but they will of course want THEIR modem back.

Do we HAVE to use your modems, or can we pick up our own (from a list of models which you approve) and just tell you the MAC ?

Will there be a service charge to switch to a different speed or cap later ? (especially to an unlimited which you have not offered so far)

If you want to pre-order that is fine, please keep in mind that while the expected date is March 21st, until it's up and available it could shift a few days so I don't want any missed expectations or early cancellations happening.

To answer your questions:

- We co-ordinate the date with you/Cogeco however it's still required that you issue the cancellation and fulfill any obligations you may have with them.

- I can't honestly answer the downtime question yet for Cogeco, I suspect it will be similar to Rogers where a reboot of the modem after the switch over is all that is needed. The reboot can sometimes take upwards of 30 minutes to pickup the first time it registers.

- After soft-launch you will be able to use your own approved modems. During soft-launch we are only using our own just while processes get refined and smoothed out.

- Fees for changes, within speed tiers - never. Between speed tiers, not currently and don't forsee that changing any time soon.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
Welp, I've signed up guys. This is a very good day indeed.

Only thing that seems odd is that I've been told my area is only good for DOCSIS 2 (meaning 14Mbit speed) rather than the 20Mbit service that requires DOCSIS 3, even though Cogeco has verified that my address is good for 20, 30 and 50Mbit service with a DOCSIS 3 modem. Hoping to get clarification on that because I would very much like 20Mbit/s.

Otherwise, very much pleased that we finally have competition with Cogeco. Once my install date is verified I will be giving Cogeco 30 days notice. Going to keep a two-week overlap in case anything goes awry.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Welp, I've signed up guys. This is a very good day indeed.

Only thing that seems odd is that I've been told my area is only good for DOCSIS 2 (meaning 14Mbit speed) rather than the 20Mbit service that requires DOCSIS 3, even though Cogeco has verified that my address is good for 20, 30 and 50Mbit service with a DOCSIS 3 modem. Hoping to get clarification on that because I would very much like 20Mbit/s.

Sorry, the IM system takes a little getting used to and I replied to you instead of someone else, your order will go in for 20Mbps. Thanks for your support.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by rocca:

Sorry, the IM system takes a little getting used to and I replied to you instead of someone else, your order will go in for 20Mbps. Thanks for your support.

Sweet. You've made my day. Thank you very much for doing this, I cannot express enough how long we've all been waiting for this day.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by rocca:

Sweet. You've made my day. Thank you very much for doing this, I cannot express enough how long we've all been waiting for this day.

So your new screen name will be 'GONE-geco' ?

BTW, did the online system give you an estimated install date ?

If yes, then what date ?
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

said by Davesnothere:

said by Gone:

said by rocca:

So your new screen name will be 'GONE-geco' ?

No, that's backwards. He'll be GONE-Start.