Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to JCohen

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

said by JCohen:

So it's a 10Gbps port but you're currently rate limited to 1Gbps?

Yeah. That way when they need more it's just a matter of flipping a switch rather than changing the physical port.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

Ahh we were both wrong anyways i envision it as they have a 10g Capable link installed and just need to plug in the other 9g worth of cables basically VS having to install a whole new connection

Close - the 10G interface is still a single pair of fibre cables, it's just a 1Gbps path going to it.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to JCohen
said by JCohen:

So it's a 10Gbps port but you're currently rate limited to 1Gbps?

Essentially, yes.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Sorry if some of these are already asked....

Can we PRE-ORDER right NOW for Cogeco territory ?

Will Start notify Cogeco of my cancelling with them, or do I have to coordinate that myself ?

How much downtime will there be on a transfer ?

I have an active account with them (to save on your setup fee), but they will of course want THEIR modem back.

Do we HAVE to use your modems, or can we pick up our own (from a list of models which you approve) and just tell you the MAC ?

Will there be a service charge to switch to a different speed or cap later ? (especially to an unlimited which you have not offered so far)

If you want to pre-order that is fine, please keep in mind that while the expected date is March 21st, until it's up and available it could shift a few days so I don't want any missed expectations or early cancellations happening.

To answer your questions:

- We co-ordinate the date with you/Cogeco however it's still required that you issue the cancellation and fulfill any obligations you may have with them.

- I can't honestly answer the downtime question yet for Cogeco, I suspect it will be similar to Rogers where a reboot of the modem after the switch over is all that is needed. The reboot can sometimes take upwards of 30 minutes to pickup the first time it registers.

- After soft-launch you will be able to use your own approved modems. During soft-launch we are only using our own just while processes get refined and smoothed out.

- Fees for changes, within speed tiers - never. Between speed tiers, not currently and don't forsee that changing any time soon.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to rocca
Welp, I've signed up guys. This is a very good day indeed.

Only thing that seems odd is that I've been told my area is only good for DOCSIS 2 (meaning 14Mbit speed) rather than the 20Mbit service that requires DOCSIS 3, even though Cogeco has verified that my address is good for 20, 30 and 50Mbit service with a DOCSIS 3 modem. Hoping to get clarification on that because I would very much like 20Mbit/s.

Otherwise, very much pleased that we finally have competition with Cogeco. Once my install date is verified I will be giving Cogeco 30 days notice. Going to keep a two-week overlap in case anything goes awry.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Gone:

Welp, I've signed up guys. This is a very good day indeed.

Only thing that seems odd is that I've been told my area is only good for DOCSIS 2 (meaning 14Mbit speed) rather than the 20Mbit service that requires DOCSIS 3, even though Cogeco has verified that my address is good for 20, 30 and 50Mbit service with a DOCSIS 3 modem. Hoping to get clarification on that because I would very much like 20Mbit/s.

Sorry, the IM system takes a little getting used to and I replied to you instead of someone else, your order will go in for 20Mbps. Thanks for your support.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by rocca:

Sorry, the IM system takes a little getting used to and I replied to you instead of someone else, your order will go in for 20Mbps. Thanks for your support.

Sweet. You've made my day. Thank you very much for doing this, I cannot express enough how long we've all been waiting for this day.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by Gone:

said by rocca:

Sweet. You've made my day. Thank you very much for doing this, I cannot express enough how long we've all been waiting for this day.

So your new screen name will be 'GONE-geco' ?

BTW, did the online system give you an estimated install date ?

If yes, then what date ?

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
said by Davesnothere:

said by Gone:

said by rocca:

So your new screen name will be 'GONE-geco' ?

No, that's backwards. He'll be GONE-Start.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by grunze510:

No, that's backwards. He'll be GONE-Start.

Sharp today, are you ! [Yoda]

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rocca

BTW, it's not too late for the OP to rename this thread to something like :

Lets Get STARTed !

START Me Up !

or

START Your Engines !

[Dave wasn't going to START anything, but his pun filter snapped. ]

Night Owl

join:2008-10-23
London, ON
reply to rocca
Would we still require a Rogers tech visit for the install even though it would be a transfer of service from Rogers to Start?
--
What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away. - Anonymous

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Night Owl:

Would we still require a Rogers tech visit for the install even though it would be a transfer of service from Rogers to Start?

Same question about Cogeco, please.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Davesnothere:

With Iktel TPIA if you already had cable modem service a tech was not required to visit so I assume something similar exists with Start on Cogeco. Can't speak for Rogers.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Night Owl:

Cogeco hasn't indicated yet. Rogers makes us book a tech even for transfers, although I can't imagine what they do onsite.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by rocca:

Cogeco hasn't indicated yet.

Rogers makes us book a tech even for transfers, although I can't imagine what they do onsite.

(1) Pick up modem
(2) Put tail between legs
(3) Vamoose

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rocca

BTW, what date estimates is your online signup page issuing for installs for Cogeco ?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
You gotta put them in for the 21st.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
reply to rocca
How about quebec....?

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Close - the 10G interface is still a single pair of fibre cables, it's just a 1Gbps path going to it.

Yeah, but in a 10gigE, the light travels 10 times faster than the speed of light in a 1GigE

Congratulations are in order to Start Communications. The number of complaints on DSLR about lack of service in Brantford and Cogeco territory should drop tremendously.

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
Great prices too... especially considering the Cogeco capacity costs. I think comparatively to pricing on Videotron, Start is operating with an even thinner margin than Ebox here.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

....The number of complaints on DSLR about lack of service in Brantford and Cogeco territory should drop tremendously.

We can still complain, but NOW it will be an OPTION.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to rocca
Keep up apprised when higher speeds are available. 20 will be a breath of fresh air, but 30 would be even better once available.

Realistically, I doubt 50 is going to be economical for customers based on the link costs in the CRTC filing.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
reply to alienzzz
said by alienzzz:

Great prices too... especially considering the Cogeco capacity costs. I think comparatively to pricing on Videotron, Start is operating with an even thinner margin than Ebox here.

It just shows to go you how much pwofit that Cogeco bilks from their retail prisoners, er, I mean customers.

Also, START's deal with Cogeco may be 'off-tariff'.

That's not important to me, as long as it works properly and is priced affordably at MY end.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Keep up apprised when higher speeds are available. 20 will be a breath of fresh air, but 30 would be even better once available....

NAH, ya don't need 30.

I have 30 now and the files sometimes roll in before I finish clicking the mouse.

What fun is THAT !

No challenge at all.

join:2012-01-19
Pontypool, ON
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

We're pleased to announce our new TPIA services which are soft-launching today in Rogers territories and coming to Cogeco in a couple weeks. More details are available on our web site at www.start.ca/services/highspeed or if you have any questions just let me know. Thanks.

i can get better prices and unlimited staying with TSI and even better migrating to nexicom

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
reply to Davesnothere
Cogeco is a POS company, but the same as all the other incumbents (with the exception of Shaw-evil-wannabe).

Their managers should be thrown in jail for those capacity charges (Beating even bell, really? Lol!)

It would be great if small IISPs still manage to chip away at their user base, despite the situation.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by alienzzz:

Cogeco is a POS company....

Point of Sale ?

join:2012-01-19
Pontypool, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by rocca:

Cogeco hasn't indicated yet.

Rogers makes us book a tech even for transfers, although I can't imagine what they do onsite.

(1) Pick up modem
(2) Put tail between legs
(3) Vamoose

(4) spy