join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: [Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

said by Gone:

It's worth noting that this is all now a moot point, as
a TPIA provider is going live on the aggregate POI across all Cogeco territory at the end of the month....

Yer not just rattling our chains, are ya ?

I will be ordering something new ASAP, and it might well be THAT, or the Indie DSL FTTN March promo.

So PLEASE state the name of the Indie ISP and link us to their formal official announcement about that.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by Gone:

It's worth noting that this is all now a moot point, as
a TPIA provider is going live on the aggregate POI across all Cogeco territory at the end of the month....

I will be order something new ASAP, and it might well be THAT, or the Indie DSL FTTN March promo.

So PLEASE state the name of the Indie ISP and link us to their formal official announcement about that.

Well I sure hope it's Caneris. Please tell me it's Caneris. Lie to me if necessary.

If so, I will probably be bonding their cable product to my current DSL connection.

Yeah baby.

Edit - Scratch that. Just caught the thread over on the broadband forum. It's start.ca. No bonding love.

But this is great news for those who can't or won't do DSL and have no love for Cogeco.

Mike

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

Well I sure hope it's Caneris. Please tell me it's Caneris. Lie to me if necessary.

If so, I will probably be bonding their cable product to my current DSL connection.

Yeah baby.

This sort of revelation deserves a whole NEW THREAD !

Where has Mister Gone gone ?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

No, I'm not yanking your chain. I'm dead fucking serious. The days of living in broadband wilderness may finally be over.

»Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by Davesnothere:

No, I'm not yanking your chain. I'm dead fucking serious. The days of living in broadband wilderness may finally be over.

»Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

Thanks - I just found the thread m'self too.

Now THIS could be GOOD entertainment !

First the March DSL FTTN promos, and now THIS !

The $64,000 question for ME is :

Will they REALLY have Cogeco Country up by April 1st ?

Or will we hear that day that it was just the proverbial annual joke ?

I have a cancellation pending with Cogeco now as we speak, so gotta time this right though.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I don't think they'd be saying March 21st unless they've been working on this for a while. There's been stuff going on with the aggregate POI for a while now. It was merely a question of when, not if.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Looks like »start.ca is the real deal.

They're taking orders. A great option for folks without a viable DSL option or just don't care for DSL.

In any event, looks like people that don't want to do business with Cogeco directly for internet access don't have to any more.

Mike

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I've already placed my order for 20Mbit from Start. Counting down the days...

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Snap! How did I know you'd be the first?

Looking forward to your review.

Mike

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I think Last Parade got his in a few minutes before mine. We're both going for the 20Mbit package.

I'm looking forward to them possibly offering 30 in the future, but 20/1.5 will be a nice change compared to the 10/.64 I pay more for right now.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Gone:

I think Last Parade got his in a few minutes before mine. We're both going for the 20Mbit package.

I'm looking forward to them possibly offering 30 in the future, but 20/1.5 will be a nice change compared to the 10/.64 I pay more for right now.

I'm also teetering on ordering START.ca's 20/1.5/300GB monthly CAP @ $50 plus $5 Docsis 3 modem rental and UBB only 50 cents per GB above the cap.

Oh yes, START's normal $50 'START-ME-UP' fee is waived, as it will be a WIN from 'Guess Who' ?

BTW, FYI folks, Cogeco's cap on their 20Mb plan is 80GB, and their UBB is $1.50 to a max of $50 extra.

Cogeco in-house bean-counters and forum-readers, have youse got all of that ?

»www.start.ca/services/hi ··· hspeed/2

This only serves to illustrate GOUGEco's usual profit margin, as both they AND Start Communications can still make money on this new arrangement.

So why the bHELL cannot Cogeco do similarly generous deals for their own retail customers ?!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I elected to buy the modem rather than rent. Once you buy a DOCSIS 3 modem it's yours to keep, so if I happen to switch for whatever reason (hopefully that never happens) the modem is mine to move with me.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I figure to risk prob'ly a couple of months of modem rent AND service, and then decide about both.

START did say that they would offer SOME credit back from rent on longer periods, toward purchase - I asked this yesterday over in the CBB forum thread.

n3k0
@teksavvy.com

n3k0

Anon

said by Davesnothere:

I figure to risk prob'ly a couple of months of modem rent AND service, and then decide about both.

START did say that they would offer SOME credit back from rent on longer periods, toward purchase - I asked this yesterday over in the CBB forum thread.

Yeah, I'm doing the same - Just to see how things go. I already called in & cancelled my Tek service, so just need to wait until the 21st, until Start.ca open up the GougeCo service offerings.

CSR on Tek had never heard of Start.ca, & was worried about losing me to some unknown agent. Better the devil the know, & all that.
n3k0

n3k0 to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

I don't think they'd be saying March 21st unless they've been working on this for a while. There's been stuff going on with the aggregate POI for a while now. It was merely a question of when, not if.

I bet you're as happy as I am about this. I can't wait to tell all my GougeCo friends about my imminent service with Start.ca.

Fuck you GougeCo! We got options now, other than your overpriced, undercapped service.

This is just fantastic I wonder how the GougeCo zealots in here are going to defend their masters now. What possible reasons can they give for sticking with the incumbent, now that a TPIA service blows GougeCo out of the water, in terms of pricing & caps.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to n3k0

Premium Member

to n3k0
said by n3k0 :

I already called in & cancelled my Tek service, so just need to wait until the 21st, until Start.ca open up the GougeCo service offerings.

I would have been inclined to wait until I at least got an install confirmation date.

Mike

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

I would have been inclined to wait until I at least got an install confirmation date.

While I cannot speak for n3k0, in MY case I said WTH, and had cancelled GOUGEco already on March 3rd, with cutoff effective at the end of April 1st, for which I had already paid earlier, as that happens to be the normal end of my billing period.

They have agreed to extend my cutoff date (like they did last time I was with them), for only a prorate of my regular monthly rate, if I simply call in before my current cutoff date and ask, and pay them for the number of extra days that I need.

I'm grumpy with them about other issues, as frequently stated here, but they have been decent about that sort of thing.

At the time I first called to cancel THIS round of GOUGEco, START had not yet announced anything, but Acanac HAD, for the March DSL fee setup waives, and so had Velcom, IIRC.

Also, a little birdie over in CBB had told us on Feb 29th that this was a Bell-sponsored thing, so I was confident that TSI would get onboard, albeit a bit late, and that I would have multiple choices of FTTN DSL.

Then, START reshaped the landcape with their Cable announcement (and BTW, START is ALSO vewwy quietwy doing the Bell/Indie DSL setup waive March promo too on their 16Mb plan).

I've been engaged in a large amount of fruitful and encouraging Q&A with START (over in their thread in the CBB forum), and will likely place a web order tomorrow.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

Normally I would tell someone to wait before jumping ship to the brand new guy.

Time and time again in this forum you "early adopters" (AKA suckers) jump ship without a copany even showing they can support or even sustain what they sell.

This was true to teksavvy. This was true for Acanac, this is true for Ebox, this is true for IKTel, This was true for Colba, and likely true for many others. Then everyone starts bitching.

I would give it 3-4 months before making the jump to someone unproven. You are only setting yourself up.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

LMAO. A man walks through a desert for what seems like a thousand years, finally happens across water, and you tell him "wait, don't drink that until you see someone else take a drink - it might not be good".

Where would technology be without early adopters?

... .... . . ... ....!

Mike

eh
@videotron.ca

eh

Anon

said by dillyhammer:

LMAO. A man walks through a desert for what seems like a thousand years,

You aren't exactly dying. So the die of thirst analogy rhetoric doesn't exactly equate to what every single one of the resellers have gone through with trying their luck with a new service.

What is it that they say about history?

Here's is your rhetoric rewritten to be more realistic:

A man walks through a desert for what seems like a thousand years, finally happens across water, ah it was a mirage... The man keeps walking for 4 more months till he actually comes across water.

n3k0
@teksavvy.com

n3k0 to dillyhammer

Anon

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by n3k0 :

I already called in & cancelled my Tek service, so just need to wait until the 21st, until Start.ca open up the GougeCo service offerings.

Mike

I am not so inclined to fret, as you are

Start.ca begin offering wholesale GougeCo on the 21st. That gives over 3 weeks before my existing DSL service ends. I think GougeCo techs can coordinate an install given 3 weeks notice.

I will have 20Mbit service for the same price I am paying for 5Mbit now.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to eh

Premium Member

to eh
said by eh :

You aren't exactly dying.

Try telling that to the guy that got $2500 in internet bills from Cogeco for 3 months of service.

Bet he felt like he was dying.

Mike
dillyhammer

dillyhammer to n3k0

Premium Member

to n3k0
said by n3k0 :

Start.ca begin offering wholesale GougeCo on the 21st. That gives over 3 weeks before my existing DSL service ends. I think GougeCo techs can coordinate an install given 3 weeks notice.

Curious to see your review of the whole experience.

Mike

n3k0
@teksavvy.com

n3k0

Anon

said by dillyhammer:

said by n3k0 :

Curious to see your review of the whole experience.

Mike

I'll definitely review the install procedure, & ongoing service offering. It will be interesting to see how things run.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a 16/1 service from Tek, when I read the announcement from Start.ca. I was actually on the 'phone to Tek, getting the final definitive details about the upgrade procedure, 30 minutes prior to reading the announcement.

Like many others who frequent DSLR, I simply ask to have options & choice. Being stuck in Canada's duopoly system of Internet incumbents isn't good for consumers. It's great to see another TPIA provider.

Ad victorem spolias...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by n3k0 :

Ad victorem spolias...

et cetera

Actually, I did not visit this forum much when I was a TSI customer, so I do not know much about its past, but things sound plausible, the way you explained it.

I too am continuing to keep my pre-booking for START 20/1.5/300 cable, and will report back in CBB forum about the progress.

In some ways, it's a shame that I must make another ISP change, as the Cogeco feed here is solid and fast.

It's just their politics and greed which they forgot/neglected to overhaul when they upgraded their network.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

In some ways, it's a shame that I must make another ISP change, as the Cogeco feed here is solid and fast.

It's just their politics and greed which they forgot/neglected to overhaul when they upgraded their network.

Man, I was so happy with my Cogeco connection. Stupid fast, solid as a rock. It was nice to just not have to worry about it. Very disappointed I had to cancel, and very disappointed in the direction Cogeco is going in.

Mike

ruddypict
join:2010-03-24

ruddypict to Shrug

to Shrug
said by Shrug :

Time and time again in this forum you "early adopters" (AKA suckers) jump ship without a copany even showing they can support or even sustain what they sell.

As opposed to the suckers who pay way too much for data @ Gougeco.