uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

3 edits

Questions about RG11 cablling vs RG59 and RG6?

said by DarkLogix:

however upgrading to RG11 is overkill and as far as I know I'm the onlyone with RG11 from the Grounding block to the CM

How long a run is that? I guess you need to use some larger connectors, along with some adapters to interface to the normal-sized F-connectors.

Split from another topic. ~sorto'

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Re: Why does RG-59 need to be fixed?

said by telcodad:

said by DarkLogix:

however upgrading to RG11 is overkill and as far as I know I'm the onlyone with RG11 from the Grounding block to the CM

How long a run is that? I guess you need to use some larger connectors, along with some adapters to interface to the normal-sized F-connectors.

I didn't mean to go to far OT, but RG11's connectors connect to standard splitters

»www.mjsales.net/items.asp?Family···at3ID=48

so no adapters are needed though the bend radius is a bit limiting

the run isn't very long so RG11 isn't "needed" (I just like overkill) and the only device on the coax is the CM, I gained about 3db (iirc) by using RG11, however the run from the Ped to the house is only RG6QS (I do want to swap that to RG11, but I think I'd have a hard time getting comcast to do that)

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
Thanks for noticing that the discussion of RG11 is off topic for my thread. I have split it out as I really wanted to keep my thread specific.

Thanks all for your cooperation.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

the run isn't very long so RG11 isn't "needed" (I just like overkill) and the only device on the coax is the CM, I gained about 3db (iirc) by using RG11, however the run from the Ped to the house is only RG6QS (I do want to swap that to RG11, but I think I'd have a hard time getting comcast to do that)

It looks like RG-11 gives you only about 2dB more signal after 100 feet at 1GHz, so I guess it doesn't buy you that much.

However, do you know if there is a significant difference in low-frequency ingress with RG-11 that might make it worth the trouble for a lengthy run?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I'm not sure as I don't have a meter to check with, I would think so though

though the 2db/100ft seems a little off from what I've seen as my run of RG11 is maybe 50ft and I gained 3db

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by DarkLogix:

though the 2db/100ft seems a little off from what I've seen as my run of RG11 is maybe 50ft and I gained 3db

I took the figures from the website you referenced, RG-6QS showed 6.11 dB loss per 100 ft and RG-11 showed 3.95 dB/100ft at 1000 MHz.

But as they say, "Your mileage may vary."

Maybe it could be due to the larger bend-radius of RG-11, you may have lost some dbs from bends in the RG-6?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I linked the site because its the vendor I would use if I order more.
but as RF loss varies on frequency range and the downstream (the channels I was compairing) are in the upper end of the range the loss up there might be more per 100ft)

but maybe an RF tech can provide more accurate info than I as to loss on coax when compairing low end and high end (but iirc lows don't lose as easily and highs lose more easily)

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to DarkLogix

Re: Questions about RG11 cablling vs RG59 and RG6?

BTW - Another good site that I saw someone recommend for cables and connectors was Blue Jeans Cable (»www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm). Their RF cable page is at »www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rf/index.htm

They say they use top-quality "Canare FP-series" F-connectors (»www.bluejeanscable.com/pages/tec···conn.pdf) on their coax.

Blue Jeans Cable uses Belden 7731A for their RG-11 cables:

"Belden 7731A is an RG-11 coax; it is huge, stiff, and unpleasant to work with, but is extremely low-loss due to its large center conductor size and is built to the same tight tolerances as Belden's smaller precision video cables. We recommend it for extreme long runs (100 feet and up), and then only if flexibility is not likely to be important."

See: »www.belden.com/techdatas/english/7731A.pdf