Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Schools too?

quote:
(b) Notwithstanding sections 123A.21, 123B.61 to 123B.63, 125B.26, and 475.58, subdivision 1, no school district or service cooperative may use state revenues, tax revenues raised within its jurisdiction, or issue debt to construct, acquire, own, or operate, in whole or in part, a system to deliver broadband service.
(c) For the purposes of this section, "broadband service" means a service that allows subscribers to access information from the Internet by means of a physical, terrestrial, nonmobile, or fixed wireless technology.

Wouldn't these clauses prevent public schools and universities from wiring their buildings in the future? Or wiring new buildings?

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

They can wire the buildings, but they can't offer the service to "subscribers." Sounds to me like they can provide access, they just can't charge for it.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by kontos:

They can wire the buildings, but they can't offer the service to "subscribers." Sounds to me like they can provide access, they just can't charge for it.

I don't know how wiring a building would not be considered part of "construct", "own", or "operate" in section (b). Section (c) makes no mention of monetary charges.

But going with your logic, a city could roll out all the infrastructure and pay for it with bonds, then lease the infrastructure to a co op or some other non-governmental agency. The city wouldn't be paying for or providing a broadband service any more then a telephone pole owner pays for or provides power or phone service.

Alternate loophole: find two localities of equal size that want broadband access. Each raises tax revenues but pays for the opposite municipality's bill. Tax revenues weren't raise within its jurisdiction, they were raised in another. Yeah I know, I'm reaching.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

said by cdru:

said by kontos:

I don't know how wiring a building would not be considered part of "construct", "own", or "operate" in section (b). Section (c) makes no mention of monetary charges.

Umm. I was focusing on the word SUBSCRIBERS. That would be an odd thing to call the teachers/students/staff at a school or university.

In your first scenario, I think the argument could be that the co-op could be called a subscriber (with re-sale rights) and run into problems.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by kontos:

Umm. I was focusing on the word SUBSCRIBERS. That would be an odd thing to call the teachers/students/staff at a school or university.

Both universities I went too had a technology fee that paid for internet, computer rooms, software, etc. I'd have to look around to see about my kids elementary school fee statement, but I thought I saw a similar fee there.

In your first scenario, I think the argument could be that the co-op could be called a subscriber (with re-sale rights) and run into problems.

The city wouldn't be providing the internet access. They would only be providing the means to shuffle bits around. It would be up to the co-op ISP to connect one end to the house, and another end to some upstream ISP. Think what telcos call dry loops.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Slip fiber into road reconstruction efforts, if one is already digging the place up whats an extra hole really.