All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Bi2on
join:2012-03-02
Whittier, NC

Bi2on

Re: [Internet] New Fiber Optic laid down in WNC

I just talked to techs burring the fiber in my "backyard". They work for JBL Communication from Asheville, contracted by Frontier. They clearly stated that what they are working on is a infrastructure for near future Fiber to Home service from Frontier.

One guy mentioned that there will be letters sent out soon for the service being available this year. He said that most likely business accounts will receive the offer first (works for me).

As for details, they told me they currently laying down 24 string fiber for the base backbone of the network and they will be running 1-6 string to businesses and residences depending on the requirements.

Asked if they know anything about specific dates, they said they know nothing, since they are only a contractor for Frontier. Told me to make sure to come out and ask for info as soon as I will see a truck with Frontier logo on it. Which should be in next couple of weeks, as soon as they will have the fiber in place.

When I asked again if they are pretty sure that it's not just a Frontier backbone upgrade, and cooper will stay the only last-mile connection, all 4 of them said they are sure it's for Fiber last-mile hookups. They said that fiber will be laid down along every small road in the area so Frontier can offer Fiber to Home connection.

I'll be looking out for Frontier trucks, to get some more information and share it here with You guys!

All excited!
lymelizzard
join:2004-02-28
Robbinsville, NC

lymelizzard

If you can keep us informed.................thanks for the update.
rifleman69
join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69 to Bi2on

to Bi2on
Unless it's part of something that Verizon/Frontier already was contractually obligated to do, don't hold your breath.
Bi2on
Whittier, NC

Bi2on

I'm trying not to. It almost seems to good to be true, but so far everybody I talked to tells me that it's indeed what I'm hoping for.

What kind of Verizon/Frontier obligation you have in mind?
DJ24966
join:2005-12-07
Renick, WV

DJ24966

I got excited when I seen fiber here as well, but it was for the cell tower lol.

The funny thing about that is, the tower here is in the middle of nowhere and has 3G, yet you go into the actual town here and you are lucky to ever get 3G.
Bi2on
Whittier, NC

Bi2on

I took that into consideration, but the way they laid down the fiber took that out of equasion. Besides now I know for fact that the company is contracted by Frontier - that only delivers landline phone and internet services in the area.

On the cell topic, just today I noticed that AT&T towers got switched from 3G to 4G in Cherokee area. Now I almost get same DL speed on my iPhone as I get on Frontier DSL on my PC at home. And UL speeds are now constantly 2-3 times faster on the 4G LTE than DSL offers here. ROTFL
DJ24966
join:2005-12-07
Renick, WV

DJ24966

Frontier is actually doing the 3G for the tower here, they had S&N Communications do that work them, but they are providing the service which I found to be extremely odd.