Saw this at HD, almost bought it until I looked at the price

»www.homedepot.com/buy/60 ··· 029.html

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

$8.97 is high? Considering the outrageous prices people are paying for the feel good LED lights that's a bargain. I've got a couple of places I would use them. I'll check my local store to see if they have them.

Nick_L
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA

2 recommendations

Nick_L

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

$8.97 is high? Considering the outrageous prices people are paying for the feel good LED lights that's a bargain.

Seriously dude, why does every one of your post have to contain political undertones and at least one barely veiled insult or other rude comment?

On topic: In my experience Feit quality is very poor. There are hundreds of places to buy repro vintage bulbs on the net, but I doubt you'll find them for less (I actually think $9 is a pretty decent price for a specialty bulb).

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
That looks pretty cool But at 60 watts, is anyone really going to be looking at the filament?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Raphion:

That looks pretty cool But at 60 watts, is anyone really going to be looking at the filament?

They would have to be used in a fixture where the bulb is visible. I was thinking of my yard light (3 bulbs) as one place they might work.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to Raphion

Premium Member

to Raphion
Looks like this:

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N to Nick_L

to Nick_L
He posted a fact though... With the current price on LED lights, the only reason to buy them is to feel good about using less energy... It sure as heck isn't a sound financial choice for most people since most would be dead by the time they broke even.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by R4M0N:

It sure as heck isn't a sound financial choice for most people since most would be dead by the time they broke even.

That's how my grandmother feels about the warranty on her appliances.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to R4M0N

MVM

to R4M0N
That is incorrect.
The price of LED lamps has dropped significantly since this thread. The math does the talking: »Would you pay $50 for a light bulb?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
yep that retrofit ecosmart downlight dropped from $49 to last I checked was $29

I have an extra Im not using right now.

Raphion
Samsara

Raphion to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Raphion:

They would have to be used in a fixture where the bulb is visible. I was thinking of my yard light (3 bulbs) as one place they might work.

Well I meant that the filament would be so bright it would hurt your eyes to look at. I suppose it would be ideal to use a dimmer on it, if it's to be used for artistic value rather than actual lighting.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I have a dimmer on the yard light. Sometimes I turn it on and adjust it down. Doesn't need to be used for lighting.

Nick_L
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Pittsburgh, PA

Nick_L to Raphion

Premium Member

to Raphion
They have them in a few fixtures at the Home Depots around me. I didn't bother to look at the lumens when I was there, but I would bet they aren't really equivalent to what most people expect from a "60 watt" bulb. Also, the filament is significantly longer (obviously) than a normal bulb so no one part of it gets as bright as we normally expect. A dimmer is always a great idea though, even if one expects to use a bulb at full brightness as most of the "weakness" that causes filaments to fail happens when a bulb it first turned on. If you could turn all your incandescent on slowly (over a period of a second or two) most bulbs would last over twice as long.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by Nick_L:

I didn't bother to look at the lumens when I was there, but I would bet they aren't really equivalent to what most people expect from a "60 watt" bulb.

They are 340 lumens. A typical 60 watt incandescent bulb puts out 800 or more. No reason to use a dimmer on this one!

Raphion
Samsara

Raphion

said by robbin:

said by Nick_L:

I didn't bother to look at the lumens when I was there, but I would bet they aren't really equivalent to what most people expect from a "60 watt" bulb.

They are 340 lumens. A typical 60 watt incandescent bulb puts out 800 or more. No reason to use a dimmer on this one!

The dim light just adds to the antique look!

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Raphion:

The dim light just adds to the antique look!

Exactly

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to R4M0N

to R4M0N
said by R4M0N:

He posted a fact though... With the current price on LED lights, the only reason to buy them is to feel good about using less energy... It sure as heck isn't a sound financial choice for most people since most would be dead by the time they broke even.

The Phillips 60w LED is $14.97 and the 40w LED is $9.97. That 60w LED gives out 800 lumens to this 305 lumen 60w bulb for $8.97 that gets 1,500 hours of life. For some of us it's all about saving money. Those of you who keep tooting this party line just don't have a clue or like to try to cause drama.
Spork35

Spork35 to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
Actually the price on the 40w LED dropped it's now $7.97. It gives off 430 lumens as well. It will save money from day 1 and turn a monthly profit over that vintage bulb.