Search similar:

uniqs
nine9s2
join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

1 edit

nine9s2

Arris TG862 Low Security Firewall settings

I just got Comcast internet (Performance) installed. I am leasing modem-gateway at first but I might buy a modem and router later. I have the Arris TG862.

Two things please:

1) I think it is DOCSIS 3.0 - is that right?

2) I went into the homeportal and does not have many options that I can see. It states "Low security" as some kind of warning but does not state what is wrong.

Are there any steps/settings I should change or check - or just go with factory settings?
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

1 recommendation

bgoodbody

Re: Arris TG862 DOCSIS 3.0? Any set-up DOs & DONTs?

That is the combo device which supports

telephone (up to 2 lines)
Wired Internet
Wireless Internet

You will need to have that if you have telephone and you will have to pay for it. Some areas allow you to buy them, but then you are on your own.

Remember IPV6 is on the Horizon, and with a leased device Comcast will insure compatability.

I have used an Arrris eMTA (Currently on the TMt722G) for both phone and internet and very happy. I get great service from Comcast on the few occassions its needed.

Oh yes it is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant.

»www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· EP10.pdf
nine9s2
Richmond, TX

nine9s2

I found out the low security is just stating the mode of firewall now, with minimum the default.

Should I leave it at minimum? What exactly will it block or not block in that setting? Can I do custom setting to open certain ports if applications need them opened?
bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody

Here is the manual.

»www.arrisi.com/support/d ··· d1-4.pdf
nine9s2
Richmond, TX

nine9s2

Thanks very much but I cannot see any firewall information in that. I am trying to see what risks are present in the low setting. I like the idea of not blocking applications I might use but also I am worried if I am completely open to the world.
bgoodbody
Bill G
North Truro, MA

bgoodbody

The web GUI Manual

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog to nine9s2

Premium Member

to nine9s2

Re: Arris TG862 Low Security Firewall settings

Yes this is a DOCSIS 3.0 device.

The "Low Security" is the default setting for inbound traffic. High Security setting has been known to block VPN traffic. And yes you can setup custom ports to be open. Keep in mind this is for inbound traffic.
NetDog

NetDog to nine9s2

Premium Member

to nine9s2
On the very bottom of the Admin Webpage you should see a "User Guide" link click on it. That has a description of the settings and how to customize the firewall settings.
nine9s2
Richmond, TX

nine9s2

said by NetDog:

On the very bottom of the Admin Webpage you should see a "User Guide" link click on it. That has a description of the settings and how to customize the firewall settings.

Doh! I see it now. Thanks.
nine9s2

nine9s2

Is there anyway to turn up the wifi power - I see no option to do that? The signal is lower than AT&T's gateway which is pretty low.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

No you cant turn up the power.