how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

[TV] Replacing the harddrive in an Explorer 8000

Does anyone have any experience replacing the harddrive in an Explorer 8000?

I own the box. I purchased it from Futureshop about 7-8 years ago, and now it stopped working.

I found this thread where someone simply swapped one out of a videotron box, but I have only his word and nothing else on the internet to say it works.
»scientific atlanta explorer 8000 hard drive

I took the box to the CableShoppe in Toronto to be repaired but they want $95 to put in a 160GB harddrive.
I can get a 500GB at NCIX for that price, so it just does not seem worth it.

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON

The Scientific Atlanta PVRs use a standard IDE hard drive. Replacing it is pretty straightforward. The problem with these is that they seem to be very finicky, some drives work and some don't. There have been plenty of discussions about this on the Digital Home forums. I remember seeing a compatibility table there as well that listed common hard drives people have had success with.

»www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdi···php?f=61

It may even be possible to put in an IDE to SATA converter and plug in a SATA drive, but I had no luck getting this to work with my HD8300, although others have apparently made this work. I suggest sticking with an IDE drive that is known to be compatible.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON

thank you for the info.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON

1 edit
reply to plebel

Ok I got some quick info for anyone interested and doesnt want to go hunting through digitalhome posts.
I picked up a 250GB Western Digital Blue IDE drive at tiger direct for $90.

I was able to find the IDE to SATA converter at NCIX, and forum posts on NCIX confirm this one will work with Scientific Atlanta receivers.
»ncix.com/products/?sku=34244&vpn···Addonics

However the price of a 500GB SATA harddrive is around $95 these days, and together with the adapter puts it to $120, since I dont think I'll be recording quite that much, the 250GB was the best value for me.

If anyones looking for the security/tamper-proof torx bits they can be found at canadian tire in the automotive section and princess auto.

Took the old broken drive out, popped the new one in, then 15-20minutes and a couple reboots later my PVR was working again

Makaveli998

join:2002-04-23

I did this but on the new 8642 box. I replaced the 160GB SATA drive with a 1TB drive.

Congrats on getting it done on the older model.

What i've found is don't try installing a drive over 1TB. I tried to installed a 1.5GB TB seagate drive for a friend of mine and it didn't work. The Box could read the drive but all PVR functions were disabled. As soon as we dropped a 1TB in there worked perfectly.

I've also found the best results with Western Digital hard drives which is the same brand of the drive I pulled out.

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON

That was my mistake. I tried a 1.5TB drive in mine although I had originally intended to try a 1TB drive and it had unexpected results. Once the drive filled up to a certain point it would just stop working.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada

4 edits
reply to the cerberus

Is that an 8000, or an 8000HD?

The 8642HD machines use SATA drives. Given the age, the old 8000 would use an IDE drive. I don't have an 8000 myself but I do have the slightly more recent 8300HD, and the unit works with IDE drives up to 500 GB. However, given that the 8000 series is older, I wonder if a 500 GB drive would work, because some older IDE chipsets do not support drives over certain sizes. eg. I have one enclosure that maxes out at 128 GB, and one that maxes out at 400 GB.

BTW, I've used Seagate, Western Digital, and Maxtor, and they all worked. Well, one old Seagate I have works if I have the 8300HD in open air. If I put it in a small cabinet, the thing overheats and playback locks up. For that one I swapped in a brand new 320 GB WD Caviar Blue 7200 rpm drive, which uses a lot less power than that old 400 GB Seagate I have, and the overheating issues disappeared.

Oh and I'm using laptop SATA drives in eSATA enclosures for external expanders as well, and they work fine, despite only being 2.5" 5400 rpm drives and use way, way less power.

said by the cerberus:

Ok I got some quick info for anyone interested and doesnt want to go hunting through digitalhome posts.
I picked up a 250GB Western Digital Blue IDE drive at tiger direct for $90.

I was able to find the IDE to SATA converter at NCIX, and forum posts on NCIX confirm this one will work with Scientific Atlanta receivers.
»ncix.com/products/?sku=34244&vpn···Addonics

However the price of a 500GB SATA harddrive is around $95 these days, and together with the adapter puts it to $120, since I dont think I'll be recording quite that much, the 250GB was the best value for me.

If anyones looking for the security/tamper-proof torx bits they can be found at canadian tire in the automotive section and princess auto.

Took the old broken drive out, popped the new one in, then 15-20minutes and a couple reboots later my PVR was working again

Good decision to go with an IDE drive. It seems the SATA -> IDE converters are hit and miss. Plus going with a 250 GB drive is safe. Most more recent IDE-compatible stuff is compatible up to 400 GB (and my 8300HD does work with a 500 GB drive).

--
Everything Apple