spc
uniqs

CANADIANSOUP
join:2011-06-27
Mississauga, ON

CANADIANSOUP to JC_

to JC_

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm a console gamer and I do not want any latency, lag/delays, or internet issues

Is it better than being with rogers or tek? and in what way

Total noob when it comes with internet tech/lingo
CANADIANSOUP

CANADIANSOUP

said by CANADIANSOUP:

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm a console gamer and I do not want any latency, lag/delays, or internet issues

HMM no replies, I guess I'll stick with Robbers

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by CANADIANSOUP:

said by CANADIANSOUP:

HMM no replies, I guess I'll stick with Robbers

Sorry I missed your question, what is it you were asking?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by rocca:

You already answered it when you mentioned your transit partners and the peering at torix.

CANADIANSOUP
Mississauga, ON

CANADIANSOUP

said by Gone:

said by rocca:

You already answered it when you mentioned your transit partners and the peering at torix.

Ok, now I'm really lost...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by CANADIANSOUP:

said by Gone:

said by rocca:

Ok, now I'm really lost...

Me too. What was the question you needed answering still?

CANADIANSOUP
Mississauga, ON

CANADIANSOUP

said by rocca:

Me too. What was the question you needed answering still?

let's forget about it... I still have 3 months left in my Rogers contract anyways.. can't do anything about it now.
sorry to have wasted your time

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic

said by CANADIANSOUP:

let's forget about it... I still have 3 months left in my Rogers contract anyways.. can't do anything about it now.
sorry to have wasted your time

The internet never forgets

All of the basics were covered in the link that was originally posted.

Non-Aggregated
1. Your ISP gets slightly more control over your traffic
1b. Rogers doesn't throttle in this setup (will stop soon they say)
2. Used to be cheaper for your ISP, but since capacity-based billing was implemented, I'm not sure anymore
3. Your ISP has to purchase capacity and aggregation links for each POI individually from Rogers, which gets costly and with Rogers' recent delays in installing new capacity, can lead to congestion occurring at one or more POIs

Aggregated Benefits
1. One point for all traffic to move between your ISP and Rogers
2. Rogers charges more per user for this setup, but capacity is spread over more users, potentially lessening the cost for capacity
3. Rogers gets more control in this case since more of the distance is covered on their own equipment

I'm probably missing something important. Hopefully others will chime in.

If your ISP has a non-aggregated setup and is able to keep their available capacity above what the users need, then this method should be just as fast, or faster, than the aggregated method.

In the aggregated setup, Rogers controls the traffic until it reaches your ISP. There is still speculation about how much they will choose to control IISP traffic.

Unfortunately, that all doesn't really prove anything specific, but I would suspect that the aggregated POI setup on an IISP will yield a user-experience very close to what Rogers offers their own customers. The non-aggregated setup has the potential to be quicker in terms of pings and responsiveness, but only if Rogers keeps up with the upgrades.

I think...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

It is likely that Rogers is providing the back-haul in most non-aggregated setups as well, just that it's a separate service rather than directly part of the TPIA agreement.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic

said by rocca:

It is likely that Rogers is providing the back-haul in most non-aggregated setups as well, just that it's a separate service rather than directly part of the TPIA agreement.

That's true; I have heard that. Thanks for reminding me. I don't really have anything to add to that though.
said by CANADIANSOUP:

Thanks for the info Oinktastic

SO from what Oinktastic & brassy mentioned... It's best if I stick with Rogers

It really depends what your circumstances are. If you are paying more to Rogers than you would be to Start, then you could save money by switching and support a local business.

If Start keeps on top of upgrades, then you're likely to see the same or better performance from Start, than you do now with Rogers I guess I never talked about transit before, and that's where the real differences would happen.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to Oinktastic

to Oinktastic
said by Oinktastic:

The internet never forgets

All of the basics were covered in the link that was originally posted.

Non-Aggregated
1. Your ISP gets slightly more control over your traffic
1b. Rogers doesn't throttle in this setup (will stop soon they say)
2. Used to be cheaper for your ISP, but since capacity-based billing was implemented, I'm not sure anymore
3. Your ISP has to purchase capacity and aggregation links for each POI individually from Rogers, which gets costly and with Rogers' recent delays in installing new capacity, can lead to congestion occurring at one or more POIs

Aggregated Benefits
1. One point for all traffic to move between your ISP and Rogers
2. Rogers charges more per user for this setup, but capacity is spread over more users, potentially lessening the cost for capacity
3. Rogers gets more control in this case since more of the distance is covered on their own equipment

I thought Rogers charges less for aggregated POI customers than for just non-aggregated POI customers.