spc
Search similar:

uniqs
voipnpots
join:2011-10-13
USA

1 edit

voipnpots

[Speed] Will upstream bonding increase speed?

I am on Performance 12/2. With PowerBoost, I am seeing 20/4. If upstream bonding is done, should I expect any increase? I'm assuming not...

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

Re: Question about rollout of upstream bonding

doubtful but ya never know!
29393955 (banned)
Always the green wire
join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN

29393955 (banned) to voipnpots

to voipnpots
My Biz Class service (12/2) got bumped to 3 UpStream channels a couple weeks ago. For the first week and a half I grinned all day as I enjoyed symmetrical 30+ speeds (powerboost obviously) but noticed today that although I still have 3 channels up and down, my speeds are back to 20-25 down, 3-5 up. ShaperProbe shows me shaped at 17,500 and 3000. The upside is my speeds are much more consistent now, with less 'pausing' during long downloads as well. Would have loved it if they "forgot" to change my speeds back to normal, but certainly can't complain at the current service level as consistent as it is. Now if they could just get me a usable connection to all the European websites I can't access...

(their routing guys are either clueless or have one twisted sense of humor)
KingKuei6
join:2002-11-18
Union City, CA

KingKuei6 to voipnpots

to voipnpots

Re: [Speed] Will upstream bonding increase speed?

As far as I understand it, channel bonding allows Comcast to tie multiple channels together and treat them as though they were one big channel. This allows them to potentially offer higher speeds (the 50Mbps and 100Mbps tiers appear to require channel bonding to achieve stated speeds), but in real world usage, in the lower tiers, I think the benefit is not in speed but efficiency.

I don't know if data actually gets spliced, sent out across multiple channels, and then recombined at both ends, but I imagine there is a benefit to us end users in load balancing. With multiple channels to choose from, I imagine bonding would allow for data to travel across those channels which are less crowded, and constantly switch dynamically to the least crowded channels.

This won't provide you with any faster speeds, but you will probably get high speeds more consistently/constantly.