Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to criggs

Re: Sprint's Bait and Switch on Unlimited 4G Mobile Broadband

Ah well okay then. What you are going to find out if you push this thing is that Sprint will simply terminate your contract and disconnect your service. They did this to hundreds if not thousands of people not that long ago because they were calling into customer service and complaining and trying to finagle their way into service credits. Sprint reserves the right to terminate your service for pretty much any reason it wants it seems.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Considering that AT & T case that exploded this week (see »How to Beat AT&T in Court For Throttling 'Unlimited' Service ), I suspect they may be treading more carefully than that now.

In addition, keep in mind that I've made it very clear I'm ready to push this thing to court if need be. I don't know how they feel about lawsuits (they obviously have the money for them), but I'm sure it's not something they relish, particularly if it gets them negative publicity.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY
kudos:1

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
Yes, I've been keeping that option in my back pocket all along.

I'm not prepared, however, to give up on Sprint yet. My lawyer still thinks we have a case. So he and I are prepared to keep up this preliminary sparring to see how it all works out. My lawyer has warned me that, at some point, the two of us will have to sit down, game-plan out our legal case and work out how we're going to make it fly. Mind you, he still thinks we have a clear path to a persuasive case, in small-claims court or wherever; but he has always said that we should be prepared to consider any alternatives that might be offered.

My lawyer believes it may not even come to a court case. After a few more months of this headache, he suspects Sprint will try something different to make it all go away, perhaps a quadrupling of Sprint's maximum data cap, e.g. approx. 50 gigs per month, or something like that, accompanied by some sort of increase of the monthly fee, perhaps doubling it to $120 or something like that.

The exact details of any deal are very murky obviously, as my lawyer guesses we're still one or two months away from that. But he expects that some offer like that is more likely than a court case.

Personally, after reading that AT & T case, I think we can win in small claims, but I'm perfectly happy with some other outcome as long as it acknowledges either that cancellation of the Unlimited 4G and its replacement by a 5-gig-capped 4G connection is not covered by the TAC and constitutes an illegal and fraudulent termination of service rather than merely a change in service, or that such a termination, and replacement with a data-capped service, constitutes an alteration that is not covered in the TAC, and which therefore requires my consent.

Also, with regard to Wireless 'N' WiFi (WNW), I have always had some misgivings, even though everyone I've spoken to there seems really nice. My concern is that, in today's bitter economic climate, they may go belly-up, leaving me high and dry.

I'm also concerned that they are dependent on the good graces of Clear for their 4G Wimax network and on Sprint for their 3G network. What if one or both of them simply tells Wireless 'N' WiFi to take a hike, that they no longer want their product to be resold by WNW? Once again, I could be left high and dry.

So that's another reason why WNW, while the most obvious alternative to my current situation, remains less than an ideal solution for me, in my opinion.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Max Signal
With regard to reseller options, I just discovered something that quite startled me.

The last time I checked, Millenicom offered two 3G plans, one capped at 20 gigs and one capped at 50 gigs. However I thought they offered no 4G plans.

But just now I took a look and it looks like they now offer a 50gig 4G plan. Their price is a little higher than WNW. M offers it at $70 while WNW offers it at $60.

I wonder if they're both offering the same thing. If they are, it is odd that WNW offered it almost a year before Millenicom offered it.

I'm also a bit surprised I hadn't heard about Millenicom's offer before now. Does anyone know how long it's been around?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by criggs:

I'm also a bit surprised I hadn't heard about Millenicom's offer before now. Does anyone know how long it's been around?

I think they added the Verizon one in November 2011, and the sprint one in the last few months.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to mix
said by mix:

What you are going to find out if you push this thing is that Sprint will simply terminate your contract and disconnect your service....Sprint reserves the right to terminate your service for pretty much any reason it wants it seems.

And when they do so, do they still sting you for the ETF?

dib22

Kansas City, MO
said by criggs:

And when they do so, do they still sting you for the ETF?

Nope when sprint fires its customers, the ETF is waived

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
In my case, I have two Sprint accounts, the Simply Everything voice account and the Mobile Broadband account. When Sprint fires customers, do they fire them just from the account over which there is contention, in my case the Mobile Broadband account? Or do they fire them from all accounts? Or does that vary from case to case?

dib22

Kansas City, MO
said by criggs:

Or do they fire them from all accounts? Or does that vary from case to case?

I only know one person who was "let go"

They gave them 30 days to port their number out, waived the monthly charge for that last month, and waived the ETF.

I suspect that if they are loosing money on one account and the other account is making them some money... they would only terminate the one that is loosing them money... but it's just a guess.

The person I know was let go for roaming voice minutes I think... or perhaps roaming data... can't recall accurately.

criggs

New York, NY
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like their case is not really analogous with mine. But I appreciate the time you took to describe it. Thanks again.