uniqs

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor

[Phone] Subscriber owned cable/digital phone modems

Hi All....I would like to try to save the $5/month rental fee, and can see that there are some very reasonably priced used Motorola Surfboard modems with Digital phone capabilities on the market. I also use the phone service, so I need one with digital phone capabilities. Specifically, I have checked out some Motorola sbv6240 or even a sbv5222 since my internet plan doesn't require a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I have read that Mediacom is open to allowing people to use their own modems, has anyone here used their own modem for the phone service as well? Also, what should I be careful of?
BryanC3
join:2007-07-16
Pensacola, FL

BryanC3

For HSD, that's fine, but you may run into issues with a combo unit like that. Also, I don't believe they have certified either one of those units so if there's a firmware issue or some incompatibility with their systems, they won't be able to upgrade it for you.

caseywor
Mobile, AL

caseywor

I currently have an Scientific Atlanta DCP 2203 rented from them....I guess I should consider pricing those, I guess having them support it is key. Thanks!
caseywor

caseywor

Basically, if the unit can't pay for itself in a year or so, I probably won't bother. So price is an object.
WhatHappened
join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened to caseywor

to caseywor
Mediacom doesn't allow you to use your own modem for phone. They will let you continue to use their modem for phone service for free.

So you just need a DOCSIS 2.0 modem to save the $5/month ( minus the electricity to run the extra modem).
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth

Premium Member

said by WhatHappened:

Mediacom doesn't allow you to use your own modem for phone. They will let you continue to use their modem for phone service for free.

So you just need a DOCSIS 2.0 modem to save the $5/month ( minus the electricity to run the extra modem).

So are you saying if you have HSI and own your modem, you can then subscribe to mediacom phone, with a mediacom phone modem connected to the same line leading into your home and not pay any modem rental fee?
WhatHappened
join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

WhatHappened

Yes, I have two modems installed at my home. I have a phone modem (has HSI but nothing is plugged into the Ethernet port), and a DOCSIS 3.0 data only modem.

MediacomChad has stated on here if you have your own data modem, there is no charge for the phone modem.
calvinj
join:2011-08-16
united state

calvinj to caseywor

to caseywor
We just got done doing this at my mom's house. She has two modems. A Motorola 5105u for the internet and the rebranded Cisco job that is just for the phone. Works well

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

1 edit

IowaMan

Premium Member

That's stupid,
I like Mediacom overall but I will NEVER use the phone service.

bulletsam
join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL

bulletsam

Ditto. My sister got it, tried talking to her and got nothing but constant cut-offs. Not very safe if you really need it in an emergency which, is why I'll never get it.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to WhatHappened

Premium Member

to WhatHappened
Correct, if you use your own modem for the internet service, there is no charge for the phone modem for phone only. We do not support purchased phone modems at the moment.

caseywor
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor

Thanks Chad and everyone! The installer actually told me I had to use their modem and pay the $5 since I was using their phone service. Glad to get this cleared up. I have two Motorola SB5100s in a drawer that I can choose from for internet..........Casey
calvinj
join:2011-08-16
united state

calvinj

I don't know if Mediacom needs to sit down with the 3rd party guys who come out and do the installs because the guy was less than enthused to come in and have to install both modems. He almost tried to talk us out of it until we told him this is what we were told by mediacom employee's. Don't get me wrong the install went well and he was a very nice guy, just one of the things I noticed.

caseywor
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor

Yeah.....I just got my old Motorola SB 5100, that I used to use on Comcast, out of the drawer. I connected it, and got the Mediacom welcome screen. I called the number on the screen, got a tech, and went through the "swap" process. I entered my account number, and activation number that is the last 9 of my account number, then I got a screen that shows the services I have on the modem. I clicked "swap" next to the one for high speed internet, entered a tech code, and voila, the new/old modem worked, did a good speed test, and then the phone suddenly cut the technician off until the other modem for phone started again. I am now using my own modem for internet, theirs for phone, and am now supposed to not have to pay the modem rental.