Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

1 edit

[Praise] I cant believe how low my latency is on Comcast

I just got service today. Most of my times are in 15 to 40 range, but in a test to server in my city, I got 5ms once - usual 14 to it:

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Not bad.
Got a decent line to that test server.

Now mine has gone from an acceptable 16ms when I first got Comcast, to a test server ~100 miles away, to well over 30ms now.

can't say its getting better.. fast yes, better, no.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
reply to nine9s2

I normally see 11 MS pings.

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA
reply to nine9s2

Guess it all depends on how close you are to the server.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to nine9s2

This is typical for me. Comcast rocks!
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to pokesph

said by pokesph:

Now mine has gone from an acceptable 16ms when I first got Comcast, to a test server ~100 miles away, to well over 30ms now.

About same results here...used to have high teens/low 20s, now usually seeing high 30s at best.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to nine9s2

My ping to this server is always about 5ms.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23

My best ping result on speedtest.net is 12 ms to a server about 100 miles away.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to KevTech

said by KevTech:

"Zero" ping, HaHa. That is the reason why one should not trust the ping figures seen at these types of speed testing sites...

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

Even the first hop to a router is 1ms, isnt it?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 edits

Yes, or generally less than 1 ms.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to nine9s2

This is typical for me-

San Jose is 150 miles southeast of me. Everything here goes to the main CMTS in Ukiah, and then south into the Bay area then east to Sacramento to get to the Comcast iBone.

Tracing route to any-fp3-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com [98.139.127.62]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms my.router [192.168.1.1]
2 21 ms 28 ms 21 ms 67.180.172.1
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms te-3-3-sr01.ukiah.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.86.249
.25]
4 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms te-8-1-ur06.rohnertpr.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.87
.226.229]
5 15 ms 14 ms 13 ms te-0-1-0-7-ar01.oakland.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.
87.192.162]
6 18 ms 19 ms 19 ms pos-2-8-0-0-cr01.sacramento.ca.ibone.comcast.net
[68.86.95.81]
7 18 ms 19 ms 23 ms pos-0-9-0-0-cr01.sanjose.ca.ibone.comcast.net [6
8.86.85.181]
8 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms xe-10-3-0.edge1.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.71.118.5]

9 19 ms 18 ms 19 ms ae-33-80.car3.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.69.152.133]

10 21 ms 18 ms 21 ms YAHOO-INC.car3.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.71.112.14]

11 20 ms 18 ms 18 ms ae-0-d171.msr2.sp1.yahoo.com [216.115.107.83]
12 19 ms 21 ms 20 ms et-17-1.fab1-1-gdc.sp2.yahoo.com [67.195.128.65]

13 29 ms 19 ms 20 ms po-10.bas1-3-prd.sp2.yahoo.com [76.13.244.7]
14 64 ms 53 ms 47 ms ir2.fp.vip.sp2.yahoo.com [98.139.127.62]

Trace complete.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to nine9s2

Yeah, pretty low here as well. No zeros though .

--
KI6RIT

GusHerb94

Chicago, IL
reply to nine9s2

This thread makes me wonder why I still put up with Uverse and it's lack of reliability at home. albeit my latency is about as good as it gets for Uverse (average 24 MS pings).
Perhaps it's my dislike towards Comcast's general attitude in customer service, or maybe because I'm not familiar enough with them to know what strings to pull to get good service right away (I know AT&T very well and know exactly who to contact for good service)

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

that could be a double edged sword, I mean if you have Comcast and get great service you wouldn't need to contact them for customer support, where as with U Verse you have good customer support because you might be getting bad service.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

4 edits
reply to n_w95482

WOW, they must be offering the new Tiers here now (Netcool said it'd be soon, since we have the new provisioning now). I probably don't want to know what that costs though. lol Blast! 20/4 at 72 bucks a month is enough.

GusHerb94

Chicago, IL
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

that could be a double edged sword, I mean if you have Comcast and get great service you wouldn't need to contact them for customer support, where as with U Verse you have good customer support because you might be getting bad service.

The location where we do have comcast (business) the service is rock solid (phone service and internet) but that didn't prevent me from having to call them and put up with comcrap hell. They screwed up the first bill BIG TIME. It resulted in me having to contact the presidents office, all because the reps I spoke to were so braindead and retarded (I'm dead serious). It's all straightened out now, and I hope I don't have to ever call them until that 2 yr contract is up.

earletp

join:2004-02-03
PDX
reply to nine9s2

said by KevTech:

That it does.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

3 edits

For me it wouldn't matter if a server was in Ukiah, 10 miles south or in SF, 120 miles south, the data has to go to Ukiah, then the Bay Area and then Sacramento to get to the backbone, so actually I'd end up getting better results to SF even though it's further away. As far as I know, Comcast does not have local peering here, so there is no way to contact a local server without going through all that and then back up.

hhahn

join:2011-06-25
Marlton, NJ

Ping is an extremely poor metric to gauge the quality of a connection, without a baseline. While a lower ping is better, it doesn't mean anything alone. As others have mentioned, it has a lot to do with the distance from the speedtest server. It's not like a magical number that rates the quality of your connection. But, it doesn't just deal with the geographical distance from a speedtest server, since it includes the number of hops for that test specifically. What I'm basically trying to say is that you can't judge a connection by ping alone. I have both Comcast and FiOS. My Comcast connection has a 12ms ping to the Philadelphia speedtest server, while my FiOS connection has a 25ms ping to the speedtest server. That doesn't mean Comcast is superior; it just means the route to the Comcast speedtest server is shorter because you are testing from within the same network. A route to a different server (like a website) may be completely different and yield equal or opposite results.

However, ping is important to know as a baseline. You want to know if it varies at all between tests to the same server (jitter), or if it varies depending on the time of day. This can help a great deal in troubleshooting. For example, if you notice your ping is normally 5ms but now it's 200ms, there may be a problem with either your connection or a bad route. Alone, ping means nothing.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

aw no fair you guys cheat

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to hhahn

said by hhahn:

Ping is an extremely poor metric to gauge the quality of a connection, without a baseline. While a lower ping is better, it doesn't mean anything alone. As others have mentioned, it has a lot to do with the distance from the speedtest server. It's not like a magical number that rates the quality of your connection. But, it doesn't just deal with the geographical distance from a speedtest server, since it includes the number of hops for that test specifically. What I'm basically trying to say is that you can't judge a connection by ping alone. I have both Comcast and FiOS. My Comcast connection has a 12ms ping to the Philadelphia speedtest server, while my FiOS connection has a 25ms ping to the speedtest server. That doesn't mean Comcast is superior; it just means the route to the Comcast speedtest server is shorter because you are testing from within the same network. A route to a different server (like a website) may be completely different and yield equal or opposite results.

However, ping is important to know as a baseline. You want to know if it varies at all between tests to the same server (jitter), or if it varies depending on the time of day. This can help a great deal in troubleshooting. For example, if you notice your ping is normally 5ms but now it's 200ms, there may be a problem with either your connection or a bad route. Alone, ping means nothing.

Today widespread usage of ICMP based ping packet de-prioritization is also a large factor of diminishing the efficacy of ping as a troubleshooting tool.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
League City, TX
reply to nine9s2

Pretty solid for me at my new place

--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to RR Conductor

said by RR Conductor:

WOW, they must be offering the new Tiers here now (Netcool said it'd be soon, since we have the new provisioning now). I probably don't want to know what that costs though. lol Blast! 20/4 at 72 bucks a month is enough.

I just checked on the main Comcast site, still the same old listings. I'm still on 16/2, but business has uncapped PB. 22/5 is $10/month more than 16/2, which is one of the reasons why I've been so anxious for them to roll it out here .
--
KI6RIT

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to nine9s2

FYI - An article on the GigaOM site today about Latency issues for residential HSI:

Low-latency networks aren't just for Wall Street anymore
By Stacey Higginbotham, GigaOM - April 6, 2012
»gigaom.com/broadband/low-latency···anymore/

The intro:

"When it comes to broadband we spend a lot of time talking about how much data we can transfer in a set amount of time (measured in Mbps). But what about latency? Applications from video chat to gaming need networks where packets get to their destination quickly, which requires a different type of network speed.

Plus if we're going to stream everything from video to music in addition to our latency-sensitive apps, we’re going to have to add some metrics to our definition of broadband and some intelligence to our home networks. The question is how carriers can respond to both the threat and the opportunity this development offers and what other companies might play in this space."

JPnATL

join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA
reply to nine9s2

50 miles to the server and back it should be low.

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA
reply to nine9s2

I usually get 9ms ping. Here are my new Performance speeds that were upgraded (I live in Florida)!

jimi419
Dadof4

join:2002-03-14
Round Lake, IL
reply to nine9s2

thats on comcraps own network im on the blast tier 30/2-5?? totally crap speeds imo heres a test to chicago leaving the comcast network Download Speed: 4.428 Mbps (4428 kb/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.571 Mbps (4571 kb/sec transfer rate)
Friday, April 06, 2012 11:20:32 AM that is using a different test site
and im using a surfboard 5100 with a netgear WNR1000 wireless/wired router im wired in wireless is for the lappy and ps3

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
reply to nine9s2

Ping is indeed fairly good with Comcast. Unfortunately they seem to suffer from jitter, which can mean your round trip time to your default gateway (which is only one hop away!) can vary between 5ms and over 100ms.

Check out this ping graph for the past 32 hours. Every five minutes, ten pings are sent, and the lowest time is graphed in blue and the highest in green. Look at how many green spikes there are!

Ping bloat

@mycingular.net

said by SpottedCat:

Check out this ping graph for the past 32 hours. Every five minutes, ten pings are sent, and the lowest time is graphed in blue and the highest in green. Look at how many green spikes there are!

The main reason this data is invalid is because so many people ping blast infrastructure causing ISPs to rate limit ICMP. Your conclusions are wrong and the false reporting is due to your (and others) arm chair network monitoring.