bfreas
Premium
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY

1 recommendation

reply to aefstoggaflm

Re: DNS question, E3200

Thanks for the reply aefstoggaflm.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not a constant tweaker, but more of a person who likes to set up my network one time in an efficient manner and forget about it. When I get a new piece of hardware sometimes I overlook the obvious before asking questions, and the entry for the DNS is fairly obvious now that you've pointed it out

I did try DD-WRT and settled on Tomato when I had my WRT54G before I had the Belkin, so I am familiar with both. If I can achieve what I need with the OEM firmware I'll probably leave it on at least until the warranty expires.

I'm assuming that Treewalk would be better than relying on external DNS, I just didn't know if anyone was still using it since I've read some reports on possible security issues. What do you use for DNS?
--
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark." — John Muir

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

quote:
Thanks for the reply

You are welcome.

quote:
If I can achieve what I need with the OEM firmware I'll probably leave it on at least until the warranty expires.

Not a problem and I don't blame you.

quote:
I'm not a constant tweaker, but more of a person who likes to set up my network one time in an efficient manner and forget about it.

In my case: Sort of the same thing, but I tend to keep my network secure. For example if a security issue comes out, I mgiht have to address it.

quote:
What do you use for DNS?

Right now, external DNS provided by my ISP. That is not say, that I will not use another DNS Server in the future...

quote:
I'm assuming that Treewalk would be better than relying on external DNS, I just didn't know if anyone was still using it since I've read some reports on possible security issues.

Unknown too but I can tell that, all DNS Servers have security issue(s).

Where by all DNS Servers, I mean External and Internal.

Of course by Internal DNS Server, this usually for example means one installed on a computer behind a router.

--

Here is some info from en.wikipedia.org with a comparison of DNS server software.

For ICS Bind for Windows (must have at least Windows XP) »alex.charrett.com/bind-on-windows-mainmenu-3
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.