uniqs

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek

Premium Member

Confused customers

I seen posts on facebook how apple fanboys were raving that their iphone got upgraded to 4G. Most customers don't know, don't care.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by Tomek:

I seen posts on facebook how apple fanboys were raving that their iphone got upgraded to 4G. Most customers don't know, don't care.

LTE isn't 4G... WiMax isn't 4G... HSPA+ isn't 4G...

they are all Faux G!
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by dib22:

they are all Faux G!

Who honestly cares besides a few forum lurkers?

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to Tomek

to Tomek
That's funny iSheep

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

3 recommendations

N3OGH to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
Besides, aint nothing but a G-Thang

Flyingroacht
@verizon.net

Flyingroacht to dib22

Anon

to dib22
The carriers and Apple only goal is to make $ and not helping you make informed decisions. That said, it really is crazy difficult to really figure what speeds to expect for any "G". It varies so much.

I have been lucky as a NYC resident. All my speeds are way better then most and even I feel ripped off. I feel like a d*#k for paying for Wimax that typically gives me only 8-10 down. My verizon and sprint 3g have been 1m down or worse the last 6 months.

How the hell do we keep putting up with this? LTE is soo good 21 down typcailly but prices suck and it seems to not work well when I travel too far from Manhattan
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Tomek

Premium Member

to Tomek
the reality of things is that the "Gs" are just marketing terms. While they have technical meaning to those who know, in the real world they are marketing. And the sad truth is we will be up to 10g when the technology is at 5g and the deployed networks at at 3g for most of the nation still.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

r81984 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

said by dib22:

they are all Faux G!

Who honestly cares besides a few forum lurkers?

Everyone that thinks it is BS that companies can blatently lie.
Also the general public in this country is pretty damn stupid, they believe anything on a commercial. That is why marketing works so well.
We should not allow companies to lie to vulnerable people.

Its like seeing someone take advantage of a mentally retarded person. Would you just sit back and let it happen??
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

You're comparing the general public to the mentally handicapped?

What does "4G" mean to the layperson? Honest question.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

4G to a lay person means up to 100 Mbit/s for moble devices and up to 1 Gbit/s for stationary devices.
To an expert it means even more than that.

Now to the vulnerable americans it means whatever a company tells them through a tv commercial.

Apple is calling 3G services 4G now that they see no one is losing any false advertisement lawsuits for lying to consumers. Companies say they are 4G but are not actually offering 4G speeds.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

said by r81984:

4G to a lay person means up to 100 Mbit/s for moble devices and up to 1 Gbit/s for stationary devices.

I call BS on that suggestion. Please point me to a layperson (e.g. basic iPhone user) that knows about some obscure, now irrelevant from a marketing point of view, technical specification. For that matter, show me one of these people that understands what 3G or even 2G means.

AuraReturn
Premium Member
join:2003-08-18
USA

AuraReturn to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

To an expert it means even more than that.

Now to the vulnerable americans it means whatever a company tells them through a tv commercial.

Apple is calling 3G services 4G now that they see no one is losing any false advertisement lawsuits for lying to consumers. Companies say they are 4G but are not actually offering 4G speeds.

1 Gbits huh?

Max your data cap in less than 1 minute. How much fun would that be?