how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nine9s2

join:2005-02-09
Richmond, TX

Anyway to increase the wifi signal on Arris TG862

The wifi signal is pretty low on my Comcast provided Arris TG862 and I see no way to change the wifi signal power in its homeportal.

Is there anyway to increase it?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

No, I don't think so.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to nine9s2

The wireless performance on those CC supplied gateway devices with their "crippled firmware" loads generally BITES !!! Have CC put that gateway in to bridge mode and use your own high quality wireless router with it if you need more power/greater range.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Agreed, never ever ever use a combo unit
AP + Router = acceptable
AP + Router + Modem = run and hide

if you use a wireless router that can be loaded with a 3rd party firmware then you'll for sure be able to tweak the power output, and if it has external antennas then you'll be able to use higher gain ones

Robyn5

join:2012-03-09
reply to nine9s2

Which Arris T6862 do you have? I got a T6862G today - and it has a strong wireless signal that is picked up easily about 115 feet away on another computer. At least for now - so far so good. Robyn

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to nine9s2

you could always use an old router as a network extender or repeater, if you have one.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to nine9s2

NO they are designed with apartments in mind where its all small tight spaces,and they work fine for that, but for a house, quit screwing around with comcasts cheapo eq, and go buy a real router. Might as well hit 5Ghz if you have neighbors close by for the extra channel space too.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Agreed, never ever ever use a combo unit
AP + Router = acceptable
AP + Router + Modem = run and hide

if you use a wireless router that can be loaded with a 3rd party firmware then you'll for sure be able to tweak the power output, and if it has external antennas then you'll be able to use higher gain ones

I'd actually recommend even further and have the router and wireless access point two different devices, that way when an even newer wireless technology comes out you can just replace that and not lose out on the features of a really good router, like what business' do.