spc
uniqs

Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab

Premium Member

Any service disruptions due to solar storm?

Was wondering if this would or has affected anyone's sat systems.

»www.wjla.com/articles/20 ··· 517.html

PCsongBird
join:2006-12-07
Hawthorne, FL

PCsongBird

I guess we will soon know...

Re NASA:

Two CMEs Reach Earth's Magnetosphere

UPDATE 03/08/12
The leading edge of the March 6 coronal mass ejection (CME), reached NASA's Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) satellite at 5:42 AM EST. ACE sits just outside of Earth's magnetic environment, the magnetosphere. As magnetic fields from the CMEs connected up to the magnetosphere, instruments on Earth began to measure changes in our planet's magnetic fields – indicating the onset of a geomagnetic storm. At the time of writing this was still a minor storm, rated a G1 on a scale of G1 to G5. There will be updates as needed if the rating increases.

And this was posted yesterday:

UPDATE 03/07/12 2:30pm EST
NASA models using data from the Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO) and the Solar Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) have now provided more information about the two CMEs associated with the two March 6 flares. The first is traveling faster than 1300 miles per second; the second more than 1100 miles per second. NASA's models predict that the CMEs will impact both Earth and Mars, as well as pass by several NASA spacecraft – Messenger, Spitzer, and STEREO-B. The models also predict that the leading edge of the first CME will reach Earth at about 1:25 AM EST on the morning of March 8 (plus or minus 7 hours). Such a CME could result in a severe geomagnetic storm, causing aurora at low latitudes, with possible disruption to high frequency radio communication, global positioning systems (GPS), and power grids.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to Pakapab

to Pakapab
the severity of the storm was much weaker than they anticipated so i doubt that there will be any service disruptions with this one. though the sunspot that released this solar flare is growing and is facing earth. so another strong solar storm is possible over the next few days

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Pakapab

to Pakapab
Nothing notable here. Couple brief hangups on the HN7000S. None on the DirecTV. Coulda been a Ku versus Ka thing, or maybe just one of those typical unexplained things at the NOC

//greg//
marsh_0x
join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

marsh_0x

Earlier CNN and Fox reported none but some airline pilots were diverted south of the north pole.
Not with HN WB Dish network or cellular for what it's worth

Darn a full moon tonight or may have seen some Northern Lights ?

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to Pakapab

MVM

to Pakapab
It was expected to a category 3, and turned out to be a weak category 1.

As this cycle increases, if they continue to "warn" us about each one and each is a fizzle, is anybody going to pay attention to one that really ends up causing havoc?

Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab

Premium Member

Well said, ..... So what exactly could happen? Particularly concerning our main interests, I.e. satellite communications, and would there be difference on the impact between say Ku or Ka or L band communications. Also do these storms have the potential of causing permanent damage to the birds up there?? Pardon my lack of knowledge in this area,but I am curious. You know, what kinds of backup plans do the vast ISPs if they get hit hard.......

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

Read this for a good overview:

»www.intelsat.com/resourc ··· ther.asp

Beyond the possible effects on a satellite itself, which is addressed in that article, the direct effect on communications is higher with higher frequencies. So Ka would be hardest hit. Such effects would be transient and intermittent, lasting at most for parts of three days. Intermittent because of earth/satellite rotation.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Been through several solar storms here with HN and never lost service for more than maybe 30 minutes or an hour. I doubt that unless we get a real hum dinger that you will ever see any effects from one.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

"unless we get a real hum dinger"

Yes, but that I guess is the point. The last period for "humdinger" level solar storms was 2001-2003, when the majority of people here did not have satellite internet, and there was far less reporting of the phenomenon.

This cycle hits peak in 2013, and the period of largest storms tends to concentrate in the year following peak, or 2014 in this case. We will see, but I expect there may be dozens of warnings for each real worrisome storm.

sharkyyoung
@gbis.net

sharkyyoung

Anon

There are problems now, with the 9000 Spaceway.