how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

Verizon and Sprint has a big problem w/ EVDO

Well unless Verizon can start calling EVDO 4G at 1mbit they are going to have a real problem until the iphone 5 comes out. You just know the AT&T people are going to be all over this.

Marketing aside VZW while deciding to go to LTE has a big problem because the 3g/LTE integrated radios are just brewing and the current lot really SUCK. Maybe if you want to dole out $300 for a droid maxx and even that is a bandaid to the problem.

Tmo and T w/ HSPA+ can milk "3G" and have good speeds for years to come, while VZW and Sprint is going to have a cavern between EVDO and LTE. Sprint is just worse because their net as it sits is in PCS land and OMG my wifes OV can do 200kbits ON A GOOD Day.

VZW and Sprint are going to need to sunset 2G asap (and iden already), then start killing 3G--or just put feature phones on there. In any case that is good spectrum just dying for a new LTE home...

I actually considered dumping VZW and going to Tmo or T until Verizon sorts out this 4G LTE nightmare (on HSPA+), and I really cant stand my phone (Charge) which VZW is giving away if you are dopey enough to sign a 2 year contract with a phone which should be in the shredder. The last year on LTE is a disaster, and I just threw up my hands and lock it on wimpy 3G and hope that I get 1Mbit.

And then Verizon wonders why only 5% penetration rate on 4G. I mean if they count me as 4G thats a problem, because I only use 3G. In fact when I went to the corporate store they said the only way to "fix" the problem was to turn off 4G, and that's how THEY run their phones too. Too funny.

MalibuMaxx
Premium
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN

3 edits

I was using 3G through December, January, and February... I switch back to 4G at the beginning of this month... and I have to say it has improved quite a bit... almost fixed completely I'd say at least in my area.

I've had such good luck that I went out and bought a 4g vzw mifi and its amazing too.

edit: from my mifi:
»www.speedtest.net/result/1821365058.png

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

4 edits
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

Well unless Verizon can start calling EVDO 4G at 1mbit they are going to have a real problem until the iphone 5 comes out. You just know the AT&T people are going to be all over this.

Marketing aside VZW while deciding to go to LTE has a big problem because the 3g/LTE integrated radios are just brewing and the current lot really SUCK. Maybe if you want to dole out $300 for a droid maxx and even that is a bandaid to the problem.

Tmo and T w/ HSPA+ can milk "3G" and have good speeds for years to come, while VZW and Sprint is going to have a cavern between EVDO and LTE. Sprint is just worse because their net as it sits is in PCS land and OMG my wifes OV can do 200kbits ON A GOOD Day.

VZW and Sprint are going to need to sunset 2G asap (and iden already), then start killing 3G--or just put feature phones on there. In any case that is good spectrum just dying for a new LTE home...

I actually considered dumping VZW and going to Tmo or T until Verizon sorts out this 4G LTE nightmare (on HSPA+), and I really cant stand my phone (Charge) which VZW is giving away if you are dopey enough to sign a 2 year contract with a phone which should be in the shredder. The last year on LTE is a disaster, and I just threw up my hands and lock it on wimpy 3G and hope that I get 1Mbit.

And then Verizon wonders why only 5% penetration rate on 4G. I mean if they count me as 4G thats a problem, because I only use 3G. In fact when I went to the corporate store they said the only way to "fix" the problem was to turn off 4G, and that's how THEY run their phones too. Too funny.

4G on Verizon has been working great on my HTC Rezound I got recently. I'm seeing up to 15Mb/s download speeds with it. It has made a big difference for everything on the phone, even just web browsing. Now the pages pop right up instead of taking a couple of seconds like it did with my HTC incredible. Of course if the Rezound is on 3G then it's just as slow.

EDIT: I had only run the speed tests from inside before(from teh below groud levels). I just tried one outside and got 23Mb/s down and 11Mb/s up.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17

4G on Sprint is improving as I'm getting up to 12+Mbps on Epic Touch, though usually 4-8Mbps, which is all a smartphone really needs. But WiMAX won't make it to iPhones. Sprint's LTE rollout will also be minimal by the time LTE iPhones appear.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to elefante72

Maybe it depends on the area, but I've had very good luck with LTE since my area deployed 4G, during the couple outages that occurred my phone dropped to 3G, and I locked it to 3G until all of the problems were resolved, only a few hours for me, otherwise the service has been fantastic and is much better than 3G.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

The issue is when you come to a fringe area where --highly dependent upon the phone -- the phone has issues switching between 3G/4G. So driving in the northeast (boston, conn, NYC, UNY) they haven't added full coverage and only if you are in the metro cores is the 4G solid. I live NE of Buffalo and when I am in my home zone I am about 0.5 mile from the 4G signals (well I am covered but the phones PRL kicks it off much earlier) and driving around my town it's all over the place.

I originally had a thunderbolt (which I loved sans the battery dying in 3 hours), but the multiple chips just couldnt get it together and it would just disconnect from the network (swapped 3 different phones, 2 sims). Then they sent me a refurb Droid charge which has weak wifi, GPS (I mean like dollar store weak), poor wifi/radio handoff, and for some reason so little RAM that if you have more than 3 active apps the thing just lags big time. I rooted it, and with some linux skills have got it under control but for $120/month I find it utterly repulsive. Handoff between 3G/4G works better but still murders the battery life. When I started looking around I read white papers on how the handoff between EVDO (eHRPD) and LTE are supposed to be seamless, well they are not. On further research I found that until the new Qualcomm chips enter mass production in phones later this year (5g gobi) that they are going to have a beast of a time going to VoLTE because these handoffs may not happen properly. Voice has not forgiveness...

You guys are taking about newer phones, so it looks like they may have gotten better. The good news is I will be able to upgrade in 6 months and by that time the 5G gobi chipsets will have made their way in, with 32mn and better battery life so at that point I may pull the trigger. If they dont get the 4G lanterns turned on in my neighborhood, I may go w/ tmo or ATT (prepaid of course) until they get it fixed because HSPA+ is better than broken 4G for now.

Lesson learned on being a beta tester. The only upside is that I am grandfathered on unlimited 4G/tether which as the wind blows may not really mean anything down the road.