how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HD Boy2

@comcast.net

Comcast removed post, refuses to answer speed questions

[Connectivity] Comcast Sacramento sells, can't deliver 25Mbps &q

We've been a Comcast Internet "Blast" subscriber since it went live in Elk Grove, CA in July, 2011. Initially (during the discount period for new customers), independent speed test results from testmy.net verified that we were receiving the provisioned 25Mbps/5Mbps DOCIS 3.0 service. Often, the download speeds even surpassed 30Mbps. A month or so later, the provisioning inadvertently was turned off, and the sales department had to help us get it turned back on. At that time, we learned that Comcast Sacramento techs didn't even know that a faster 25Mbps "Blast" service had even been launched, and so they only provisioned us for 20Mbps service. We later had to call back yet again to get it raised to 25Mbps.

For a short period in August and September, we again received the faster service, although the actual connection speeds did fluctuate throughout each day (which we expect with shared cable services).

However, connection speeds gradually have slowed again, and for the past four months) we seldom surpass 8Mbps download speeds, although upload speeds have remained more consistent -- at about 3-4Mbps.

Comcast Sacramento techs have tested the connections on our property and upstream "central offices" and swapped the modems twice now.

Comcast's speakeasy.net web site reports we receive 25Mbps service, but this is a flash-based test, which are notoriously unreliable because it really only measures the provisioned service, not the service speeds actually delivered. This of course, leads to wildly inaccurate speed test results. Also, the independent testmy.net Web site, which I use for testing, allows the selection of larger file sizes (up to 50MB) for download tests, which effectively sidesteps the "Comcast PowerBoost" service, which only speeds the delivery of small Web page files for the first minute or so of each data transfer, but nothing else. Finally, calculating delivery times for my own manual tests (uploading and downloading large 50MB files) verifies that Comcast is not delivering the advertised 25Mbps service.

Comcast cannot explain why we initially received 25-30Mbps test results form the independent testmy.net Web site, and will not admit that Comcast Sacramento appears to have gradually throttled our "Blast" service. In fact, the field techs officially deny that Comcast throttles any customer. Also, we have not received any warning that we've exceeded bandwidth caps.

We don't feel we are receiving the level of service for which we're paying and that Comcast is falsely advertising 25Mbps service. Can anyone at Comcast help? If not, we'll have to report the false advertising to the California Attorney General and switch to Surewest Internet, which offers competitive service in our neighborhood. We already abandoned Comcast HDTV for DirecTV for your inability provide competitive HDTV services and the advertised picture quality. I would hate to give up on Comcast Internet, but am prepared to do this if necessary.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24
I suggest you register for a free account on this site and post here: »Comcast Direct

That is a secure forum where you can discuss your problems with Comcast's top support team.

Meanwhile, members of this forum may be able to give you some good insight if you provide info they request.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

HD Boy2

@comcast.net
That is precisely what I did a few days ago, but the attached post was later removed from the Comcast Direct support boards. Fortunately, I made my own copy of the message before posting it and a cached version of the page also remains available via Google. Consequently, I re-posted it here to warn potential customers who might be considering upgrading to Comcast's "Blast" service. I don't really expect the company to acknowledge the problem at this point: After all, it is selling a throttled, high speed service and apparently isn't capable of widely delivering 25Mbps services.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
then why arn't you posting using your free account?

HD Boy2

@comcast.net
reply to HD Boy2
...If you read through the posted message titles in the Comcast HSI Direct Support forum, most questions seem to be related to customers having problems actually getting the HSI service they are paying for...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to HD Boy2
said by HD Boy2 :

We don't feel we are receiving the level of service for which we're paying and that Comcast is falsely advertising 25Mbps service. Can anyone at Comcast help? If not, we'll have to report the false advertising to the California Attorney General and switch to Surewest Internet, which offers competitive service in our neighborhood. We already abandoned Comcast HDTV for DirecTV for your inability provide competitive HDTV services and the advertised picture quality. I would hate to give up on Comcast Internet, but am prepared to do this if necessary.

Comcast isn't falsely advertising - if your particular drop is having service issues, you should try and get them addressed. Posting here, posting in the direct forum, calling and having techs come out - these are typically what people do when they are having service issues.

We need to determine if you are having service issues.

First, I suggest using any web based speedtest to measure your connection speed is completely useless.

Obviously, get all your internal network out of the equation - a single computer directly connected to the modem is the way the tech is going to test your connection - you should do that too.

Use something like shaperprobe »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html to verify your speed.

Next, take a look at your modem's information page, so you can see the number of channels you have up and down, and your various signal levels, rates, etc.

Or, I guess you could start by calling a lawyer and filing a lawsuit. But the courts aren't really going to be able to sort out your connection issue.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

HD Boy2

@comcast.net
Thanks for the ideas, but do you think I haven't already done every one of the things you suggest? Comcast Sacramento even has been out here three times since the Blast service was turned on. They actually fixed it a couple of times, but no more.

The local franchise's network is made up of a patchwork of old and new copper and fiber lines and analog and digital switches that the company can't seem to move into the modern age. When we bought 6Mbps service, it delivered a maximum of 2Mbps (though usually, much slower). When we were upgraded to 8Mbps service, it delivered 4Mbps, but only sometimes. I guess I should have known better. Why should the 25Mbps "Blast" service be any different?

Ironically, even Comcast's own Business Web site measurement tool (»business.comcast.com/smb/service···mparison) indicates we're receiving no more than 18Mbps service (higher than what I measure but slower than Comcast's own Consumer Web site speed measurements (and slower than the service for which it is billing).

I'm not using my own member ID because this byzantine Web interface locked me out and I can't seem to post under the original name.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
how about posting some setup details
»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to HD Boy2
said by HD Boy2 :

I'm not using my own member ID because this byzantine Web interface locked me out and I can't seem to post under the original name.

Unless you are willing to log in with your claimed account and send me a private message, there is nothing I can do to try to help resolve your unique issue with this "byzantine Web interface," an issue I'm not hearing about from others.

You have made your claims, but the system indicates you are apparently coming from a unique location, one which does not match with any actual site account here, so there is no way to validate your story.

At this point, any further accusations about your unverified problems with this site will be considered public complaints about moderation, which are strictly against site posting rules. If you have a problem with the site, log on and contact a moderator via instant (private) message. If you cannot log in, post the name of the account in this thread and we'll investigate. Any moderator will try to help you resolve your issue, but such claims are off topic in the public forums, particularly a technical forum.

Now, if you want to see if members here can help you, please be civil, answer questions they pose and/or provide data they request. The regulars here are often able to help resolve issues and, if not, able to point you in a good direction for the help you need.

Edit: Checking again, the system actually does indicate your anon post location is the same as your account's location, the one you logged into a few hours ago: HD Boy See Profile

sortofageek See Profile
Comcast Forums Moderator
--

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
Pearland, TX
kudos:4
reply to HD Boy2
said by HD Boy2 :

Thanks for the ideas, but do you think I haven't already done every one of the things you suggest?

I sense you're not telling the whole story here....

a free account posting in the direct forums won't get deleted unless you did not follow instructions or you deleted it yourself?

post your shaperprobe results here and let's see.....while you're at it, DO find the initiative to LOG in with your username so you don't end up posting 2 threads of the same title...

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to HD Boy2
said by HD Boy2 :

[Connectivity] Comcast Sacramento sells, can't deliver 25Mbps &q
....snip...
Comcast's speakeasy.net web site reports we receive 25Mbps service, but this is a flash-based test, which are notoriously unreliable because it really only measures the provisioned service, not the service speeds actually delivered.

...snip...

Some things do not ring true and detract from your message. Just to outline one: »www.speakeasy.net/ is not owned by Comcast from what I find. A good way to test download speed is to download a large file, such as a Linux Distro.

Also Speakeasy is a Megapath Brand Company. ""MegaPath gives your business an edge in today’s economy. MegaPath delivers a full range of nationwide voice, data and security services with the power to keep your business ahead of the curve. In 2010, three national brands—Covad Communications, Speakeasy, and MegaPath—came together to form the new MegaPath. "" As an ancillary service they offer a speed test. »www.megapath.com/about/company/

Would suggest rethinking what your issue/s are with Speed and Connections with Comcast in the HSI area, rewrite your problem/s in concise detail and repost. Rethink the tinfoil hat approach.

Throwing in everything, including the kitchen sink, in trying to get a Speed Issue resolved solves little.

That way someone here can help you in the open Comcast Forums or in the Direct forum.

hth and Good luck!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to HD Boy2
OK, I believe I have found your BBR account.

HD Boy See Profile Joined: 2011-07-09 Last seen: 2012-03-08 12:56:02
Visits: 10

Given the existing post, it is pretty clear that was you. You posted twice, in this forum and not in the Direct forum.

One post remains here in this forum. The other one was a duplicate post. You apparently hit the post button twice and two identical topics were started. I deleted the second (the duplicate) and sent you a message requesting you keep it in one topic. I gave you a link to the topic which remained. This one ---> »[Speed] Comcast "Blast" service unreliably slow

You received a number of responses, but never came back to the topic to help others help you. This is a members helping members forum and Comcast has nothing to do with moderating it. Your moderators are just members and have no affiliation with Comcast.

I am sorry you are having issues with navigating the site. When you do have such problems, the appropriate forum to ask for help is here ---> »Need Site Help

Maybe just describe your issue and ask your questions without the accusations and you'll find the members there and here very helpful

Edit: If/when you do log back on that account you accessed earlier today, please check your instant messages. This FAQ should explain how to access them. ---> »Site FAQ »IMs and Privacy

--

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
reply to HD Boy2
said by HD Boy2 :
The local franchise's network is made up of a patchwork of old and new copper and fiber lines and analog and digital switches that the company can't seem to move into the modern age. When we bought 6Mbps service, it delivered a maximum of 2Mbps (though usually, much slower). When we were upgraded to 8Mbps service, it delivered 4Mbps, but only sometimes. I guess I should have known better. Why should the 25Mbps "Blast" service be any different?

every system has old and new copper...we have 20+ year old coax here....nothing new to any cable system...fiber isnt that old of a technology....while it was around 15 years ago, most system had were single fiber bundle to service far away areas where 30+ amp cascades couldnt reach.....and cable system dont use "analog and digital switches".....no idea what youre trying to reference there....
--
I'm better than you!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to HD Boy2
said by HD Boy2 :

Consequently, I re-posted it here to warn potential customers who might be considering upgrading to Comcast's "Blast" service.

i get my 22/4 steady....
--
I'm better than you!

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN
reply to HD Boy2
HD BOy,

Speed in CA for blast is 25/4 and jumps to 30/6 if powerboost is available on the node at that time. Sounds like your connection is ok if you are at least getting 25/4.

below is off Comcast website

How much faster will downloads and uploads be with PowerBoost?

Your actual speeds during a PowerBoost burst will vary depending on what is available on the network at that time and other external speed limitation factors (like Internet congestion, traffic on a Website, PC configuration among others). However our customers typically experience bursts of download speeds up to 15Mbps and as high as 2Mbps on upload speeds.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to HD Boy2
said by HD Boy2 :

[Connectivity]
Comcast's speakeasy.net web site reports we receive 25Mbps service, but this is a flash-based test, which are notoriously unreliable because it really only measures the provisioned service, not the service speeds actually delivered.

last time i checked a speed test doesnt have access to your bootfile to tell what your provisioned speed is....

provisioned speed is your max speed.....MAXIMUM...

speed tests show you your throughput in that time period....a true real world test would be to download a well seeded torrent, or download a LARGE file from a server with good throughput....
--
I'm better than you!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

2 recommendations

I would say that actually multiple concurrent (say 4 or 5) downloads will more truly reveal what the pipe is capable of.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

said by EG:

I would say that actually multiple concurrent (say 4 or 5) downloads will more truly reveal what the pipe is capable of.

ya go to revision3 and download 5-9 mp4's

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to gar187er
said by gar187er:

speed tests show you your throughput in that time period....a true real world test would be to download a well seeded torrent, or download a LARGE file from a server with good throughput....

To speedtest with large files, I use the TestMy.net site (»testmy.net/), where you can specify up to a 200 MB download file, and up to a 29 MB upload file.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

FWIW, for me, that site has been a joke for accuracy/reliability for years...

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
Why do you say that?

From TestMy.net's (»testmy.net/legit-speed-test.php ) "Legitimacy" page:

"TestMy.net Bandwidth Test Legitimacy

Some ISPs question the legitimacy of many internet speed testing sites, as they should, most of them aren't very good. At TestMy.net we are obsessed about accuracy. We have over 15 years of experience testing the World Internet. Our servers are on a network that has direct peering with some of the biggest names in the internet backbone. The network has a total capacity of over 2000 Gbps and our servers have multiple gigabit uplinks into that network. TestMy is ALWAYS overstocked with bandwidth and can meet the needs of even the most demanding connections. Our servers are also configured and tested to maintain full quality of service for thousands of miles.

Does your ISP send you to a speed test they host?

Internet providers like to eliminate any variables when testing, so they send users to internally hosted speed tests. This can help an ISP mask their shortcomings, namely with peering. Remember, your provider isn't only responsible for giving you access to their servers... you're paying for Internet service, not LAN. Make sure that they don't fool you into believing the problem is on the 'other guys' end. TestMy.net has been a trusted free internet resource since before your ISP ever even thought about making a speed test. Also, we are not affiliated with any ISP so our results are unbiased.
:
Many call center techs and internet technicians already know and trust this service. But, if your ISP questions our results or they try to send you to their speed test you may want to question the reason why. We have found in many cases that trace routes show that the problem lies in the 'hops' that the ISP controls."

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
said by telcodad:

Why do you say that?

Because it's true in my personal experience ??? I don't care what their clever marketing mumbo jumbo says there.....

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

1 recommendation

reply to DarkLogix
The only true speed test IMO, I download 5 or so of those and it trashes my 16/2 connection completely. I can't do anything else. I definitely get mines. ^_^

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to EG
said by EG:

said by telcodad:

Why do you say that?

Because it's true in my personal experience ??? I don't care what their clever marketing mumbo jumbo says there.....

OK, well, I guess you're not one of those "call center techs and internet technicians [that] already know and trust [that] service" then!

Is there a particular speedtest site you recommend?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

Forget about sites. Real life downloads are the deal. One tool that savvy techs trust is Shaperprobe !!

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

Yes, I've used the Shaperprobe test myself, to check my non-PowerBoosted speeds.

Thanks!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to telcodad
i use to go to microsoft and download MS flight sim demo.....dont know if its still available....
--
I'm better than you!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
That's only a single file..

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to HD Boy2
HD Boy - call your local office and schedule a service call. I'm sure someone will come out and investigate your issues. If they can't solve them then they'll turn it over to someone else. We're all happy to armchair quarterback but we're not there to actually look at the situation. If you'e just over it and want another provider then call around and sign up for someone else's service. Best of luck to you.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to HD Boy2