Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to jasmo34

to jasmo34

Re: [DSL] 19 meg Profile with TP-Link 8840T

said by jasmo34:

I got one acquaintance to phone Bell on Friday, and demand an end to his modem rental fee. He ended up getting his 6M plan cost reduced by $16/month! I think he had been paying MORE than the current plan price per month, wasn't getting a bundle price, and was paying for the modem. So, I probably won't convert him, right now anyway!)

He didn't go from a grandfathered account to a limited account, did s/he?

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

said by Oinktastic:

He didn't go from a grandfathered account to a limited account, did s/he?

Later in this process, I did suggest to him that he might have had some 'grandfathered' features, but he has not responded to that. He thought he had 60 GB usage. Was that an old Bell cap, on some old 6M plan?

I suggested to him he should check on that with Bell (although any GF features are probably gonzo now, after all the changes).

His usage is only 4 or 5 GB / month. So, he's happy with the money savings. Bell is his 3rd or 4th ISP, and he's been happiest with them!

You know, unfortunately, quite a few Bell 'non-techie' users I ask about their plan have no idea what plan they are NOW on, or what they are paying for! They just get their one Bell bill, and pay it! Perfect Bell customers!

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009

Just a bit of an update. I used my 8840T for 7 days straight with no disconnects or loss of sync even though the stats are what would be considered marginal. This is on a 19455/1085 profile. Based on this I would not recommend anyone who has one of the trendchip TP-Links run out to buy a new modem when switching to the higher speeds. Give it a try and see how it does on your line. If you need a broadcom modem to get Bell to put you on the highest profile, borrow one to get the increase and go back to using the TP-Link. This of course does not apply to everyone as there are others who have had issues of disconnects with these TP-Links on higher speed profiles.

Right now I'm running the more basic TD-8616 and the stats are even better than the 8840T. Here they are.

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin: 8.3 7.8 db
Line Attenuation: 6.9 6.8 db
Data Rate: 19455 1085 kbps