spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jaydaum
join:2012-03-08
Clinton Township, MI

jaydaum

Moto SB6120 Speeds suddenly stuck at 8/1

I switched to WOW from Comcast in the Fall/Winter of last year as soon as the DOCSIS 3 speeds were offered. I have the 50/5 package and everything was smooth sailing with the modem compared to constant problems (inconsistent connection issues) I had with Comcast. I had one issue about a month after I my initial installation where my speeds were locked in at 15/2. I called and they tried a few things without success. A tech was scheduled to come out a few days later. The very next day, I checked my speeds before work and the problem had been corrected so I cancelled the on-site visit.

Recently, I had a tech out to pick up an old HD DVR (moved to a WMC/HDHomerunPrime setup) and he noticed that the overall signal to my house was a little low although I hadn't experienced any noticeable issues. He rewired a few things and went on his way. Everything was fine for few weeks and just this past weekend (3/3/12) streaming some movies was taking longer than usual. I checked my speeds and I was only getting around 8 down/1 up. I called to see if something got updated wrong on my modem and to see if they could re-provision it or re-flash it if anything. The rep on the phone said she sent the re-provision command. I rebooted the modem after a few minutes per her instructions, and it still was stuck at 8/1. She scheduled a tech to come out tomorrow. I have since called again just asking if they could look into other issues on their end. This rep said there was nothing else that could be done and that I would have to wait for the on-site visit tomorrow.

I've had connection issues with modems in the past with various ISP's and this issue that I'm currently having doesn't seem like it's a signal issue or anything like that. My pings are super at around 12ms, my speeds however, just seemed locked in at 8/1.

Has anyone else experienced this issue recently in the metro Detroit area with the Motorola SB6120? I'd love to be able to fix this problem without wasting both the technician's and my time with an on-site visit if it is something that can be corrected at WOW's end. I know I've seen postings from others regarding this modem and WOW_Dan's comments regarding firmware versions and what not, so here's to hoping someone can help!

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

I think I know what the problem is. If you can send me your account number or the phone number on your account, I should be able to fix it.
Just_Dan

Just_Dan to jaydaum

Premium Member

to jaydaum
Nevermind my previous post, I used my powers of telepathy to locate your account, and I have fixed the problem.
jaydaum
join:2012-03-08
Clinton Township, MI

jaydaum

Dan, your amazing!!! I just got home from work and saw your replies, and just checked....50/5. I'll call to cancel the on-site visit. Just out of curiosity, what was the cause of the problem?
jaydaum

jaydaum to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Dan, your amazing!!! I just got home from work and saw your replies, and just checked....50/5. I'll call to cancel the on-site visit. Just out of curiosity, what was the cause of the problem?
Burgz
join:2011-06-20
Schaumburg, IL

Burgz

To piggy back on this post. I was looking into getting my own modem. I don't have wow phone and and am still on the 15/1. I know the modem won't be covered under wow for any problems that may relate to the modem breaking and not being able to replace it.

So fellow WOW owners of their own cable modem and WOW Dan- What modems can I buy that would be able to work with WOW's system? I know Motorola has the SB6121 one model up from the SB6120. Would that work, or any other ones you could suggest.

Thanks again for the work you do and all the members of this forum.

troubleagain
@wideopenwest.com

troubleagain

Anon

If you plan to stay with 15/1 why not buy the modem WOW supplies? SA DPC2100r2. That way it will alway stay up to date.

The SA can be had for less than $20 used. Or you can go with either of the Motos. But if not moving to DOCSIS 3.0 that would be overkill IMO.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to jaydaum

Premium Member

to jaydaum
said by jaydaum:

The system didn't recognize your MAC address prefix as being Motorola, so it gave the modem a generic DOCSIS 1.1 config file instead of the 50/5 config.

iHai
@wideopenwest.com

iHai

Anon

Hello WOW_Dan,

I wanted to report the same issue that jaydaum had originally reported. I have the 50/5 package (I have had it for several months now), I have a Motorola SB6120 cable modem, and I also live in the state of Michigan. Although irritated by the issue, I was somewhat relieved to have found someone else experiencing the same issue and of recent time.

This past weekend (starting on 3/10-3/11), I have noticed my Internet service speeds drastically become slower. After running a speed test, I am now getting about 8 to 8.5 Mbps down and a bit over 1 Mbps up.

I called WOW support to troubleshoot and even had a technician come out earlier this week to check out any issues with our connections. The WOW support rep mentioned that there was no trouble on their end, and the technician that came to visit did not find any trouble with our connections as well. The technician did comment that he "heard" there may have been a regional issue where many others where receiving the same slow speeds (8 down / 1 up).

It has been 2 days since the tech came out, and this issue still has yet to be resolved. I just called WOW this evening and WOW will send me yet another technician out tomorrow (Friday, 3/16) in the evening to investigate.

I would like to save the technician's time and see if you would be able to assist me with this issue. I will try to send message you a PM containing my account # or telephone # in order to aid your investigation. I appreciate your support!
iHai
join:2012-03-15
Canton, MI

1 edit

iHai to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
(Apologize for the double post - didn't see my anon post previously, so decided to register to this forum for easier access.)

Hello WOW_Dan,

I wanted to report that I am currently experiencing the same issue that jaydaum had experienced with his Internet service recently. I have the 50/5 Internet plan, a Motorola SB6120 modem, and live in Michigan.

I began to experience this issue around 3/10-3/11. Streaming video was loading slower than usual and, after running speed tests, I would get no more than 8 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I've called WOW support on 3/11 to report the issue and, after doing some preliminary testing over the phone, they had a technician come out to my residence on 3/13.

When the technician came, he checked some things and was not able to find anything wrong with our connections. However, he did mention that there was something going on with the entire state of Michigan in regards to this same issue. I called WOW after his visit to see if there were other reports of this same issue, and WOW had not heard of any reports of this issue.

It has been 2 days since I have seen any improvements. I called WOW support this evening to see if there had been any new reports of this issue, but WOW has not heard of any. I have been with WOW since April of 2010 and the service (both Internet and customer) has been near flawless. This is the first issue I have actually come across that has me both stumped and annoyed.

WOW support had scheduled yet another technician to arrive tomorrow (3/16) afternoon. I would like to avoid another technician coming down if it's a configuration issue on the modem (as the physical issues seemed to have checked out OK from the previous tech).

Please instant message me for any info you may need (MAC address, acct. #, etc). I really appreciate your support on this issue!

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

You're all set iHal.
iHai
Canton, MI

iHai

Thanks a bunch, WOW_Dan! I asked someone at my household to test it and sure enough, the speeds seem to be back to normal!

Did you implement the same resolution as you did for jaydaum, or was it a different cause of the issue and resolution?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by iHai:

Thanks a bunch, WOW_Dan! I asked someone at my household to test it and sure enough, the speeds seem to be back to normal!

Did you implement the same resolution as you did for jaydaum, or was it a different cause of the issue and resolution?

Same problem and resolution that jaydaum had.
iHai
Canton, MI

iHai

I figured as such. Thanks again for your help!
maxwatts3
join:2010-08-02

maxwatts3 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
I am having same issue that these guys are reporting...

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by maxwatts3:

I am having same issue that these guys are reporting...

Send me your account number, phone number, or HFCMAC of the modem and I can take care of it.

beproactive
@wideopenwest.com

beproactive

Anon

Hey dan can you tell us why this keeps happening to people with there own modems? And why can you get them fixed but if they call customer service they roll a tech? dont you think it would be better for the customer if the csr's knew about this issue and could fix it over the phone rather than waste EVERYONES time rolling an unneeded truck? maybe even find out why it keeps happening and prevent it from happening??

troubleagain
@wideopenwest.com

troubleagain

Anon

The same thing can be asked about almost every problem Dan solves.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great he is here and that he helps out. But as I have asked before what about the non tech savvy subscriber who doesn't know to come here and just wants their problems resolved? They follow procedures with a call to WOW and nine times out of ten they are told it must be a problem with their system. When it usually isn't. I've been there and it is very frustrating.
hudiat
join:2011-10-13

hudiat

Agreed, recently with my cable card activation, my tivo must have been broken, they can send a truck out, nothing is working.

Except dan wasn't even in the office, knew exactly what the issue was, and told me what to tell the CSR to do. Worked right away. If it is common enough that out of the office dan knows immediately what the issue is, why wouldn't the CSR's be aware of it? At the very least don't they just have a knowledgebase they search? Wouldn't it be there?

While I commend wow for general having short wait times to get a person on the phone, they general seem to want to help, but everytime I call the CSR is basically useless.
DennisD
Premium Member
join:2003-08-30
united state

DennisD to iHai

Premium Member

to iHai
I have an SB6120 and I'm currently seeing the same issue. I also have the 50/5 package.

I could have had this issue since March and not noticed it as I haven't been downloading much.

Did you get this resolved?

Hai
@comcastbusiness.net

Hai

Anon

Dennis,

Yes, I did get my issue fixed, courtesy of WOW_Dan. PM him the MAC address of your modem and the phone number associated with your WOW account, and he should be able to take a look and resolve the issue.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to DennisD

Premium Member

to DennisD
said by DennisD:

I have an SB6120 and I'm currently seeing the same issue. I also have the 50/5 package.

I could have had this issue since March and not noticed it as I haven't been downloading much.

Did you get this resolved?

Got your message, and your issue should be resolved now.
DennisD
Premium Member
join:2003-08-30
united state

DennisD

Premium Member

It's fixed! I had to reboot my cable modem and then it started letting me get over 8Mb/s down.