Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

New Key Fobs?

I have 1999 Infiniti I30T and both key fobs have had it. The key ring plastic part broke off and I use duck tape to hold it on now to my key chain. They seem to work ok just beat up real good so I thought to get new ones. Is there any place to get them that doesn't charge $100+ for one fob?

I thought about getting a remote start thing put on and thought maybe I could use those fobs to unlock the doors and such. Any thoughts? Car only has about 80k on it so I will be driving it for awhile still.
SlowFreddy
join:2009-07-10
united state

SlowFreddy

75 dollars at Sears..check their site.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
Check online for OEM replacements. I got mine online and saved 40$ each, however I had to give 40$ back to the dealer to program them, since I got 2 i ended up saving 40$ in the end. Check to see if your remote programing is dealer only, that may factor into how much you save if anything.

Fir_Na_Tine
Premium Member
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by hitachi369:

Check online for OEM replacements. I got mine online and saved 40$ each, however I had to give 40$ back to the dealer to program them, since I got 2 i ended up saving 40$ in the end. Check to see if your remote programing is dealer only, that may factor into how much you save if anything.

Saw the Sears ad and also saw one for $30 on Ebay. Why are they so expensive? I think I might hold off and get a remote starter/alarm system put in with keyless entry.

This is my fob now, lol Looks like crap but still works. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

ChargerMike
Premium Member
join:2001-06-10
Edgerton, WI

ChargerMike to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
I have replaced just the plastic case on two of mine, about 5 bucks a piece. Got one off ebay and the other off the web.

»www.dealextreme.com/p/re ··· h3-66971

Why buy the whole thing when just the case is broken?

Fir_Na_Tine
Premium Member
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

said by ChargerMike:

I have replaced just the plastic case on two of mine, about 5 bucks a piece. Got one off ebay and the other off the web.

»www.dealextreme.com/p/re ··· h3-66971

Why buy the whole thing when just the case is broken?

Great idea, but knowing my luck I'll never find one for my car. I'll give it a look though, thanks.

pmohr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

pmohr

Premium Member

You'll likely get more results searching for a Maxima remote, same thing just with a Nissan logo instead of Infiniti. '95-'99, same as the '96-'99 i30.

Also note that the lower button on the '95/96 Maxima remotes turns on the dome light (long hold on lock to sound the alarm), whereas the '97-'99 remotes have an alarm button there. Also, if you're not aware, a long press on the unlock button will roll the front windows down.

They can be hard to find and expensive, you've seen how cheap the keyring part of the remote was built...they all break.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

1 recommendation

daveinpoway

Premium Member

The alarm fob for my 1998 Toyota RAV4 is somewhat different, but the keyring portion broke. I fixed it by using JB Weld to attach some steel wire (from a paper clip) formed into a loop; this loop holds the fob onto the keyring.

The wire will probably outlast the vehicle.