pwnage
Powdered Toast Man
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
ComeByChance

pwnage

Premium Member

[Tech] slow-mo effect converting 60fps to 24fps

what's the best option to get that slow-mo effect that's become popular with converting video recorded at 60fps to 24fps.

I'm using a canon 60d if that helps.

Thanks
pwnage

pwnage

Premium Member

Re: [Soft] slow-mo effect converting 60fps to 24fps

I've seen others mention Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere...are there others software that can do this easily?
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

49528867 (banned)

said by pwnage:

I've seen others mention Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere...are there others software that can do this easily?

Not that I know of, however there are a couple of ways you can do slo-mo depending on what NLE app you are utilizing, for a Mac user in FCP you would use Cinema Tools and do a conform of 60FPS to 24.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· b8yu4B1s

Another method for the PC user is with Sony Vegas where the frame rate is not converted but the timeline is stretched, to do so, drop the video to be edited into the timeline, then hover the curser over the right most part of the video to be slo-moed, and while holding down the control key left click on the video and drag it to the right stretching it into the timeline.

This is an example of how you do it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· yJip5qQc

As you can see comparing take 1 to take 2, I was able to slow down a 00:00:40 second clip out to 00:02:40.

Take 1

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 5sP_QESg

Take 2

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· uIhUWl2Q

Now obviously, both methods (Mac and PC) also stretch the audio timeline, as such you will need to re-dub your audio once editing is complete, and before rendering.

Wayne

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to pwnage

Premium Member

to pwnage
said by pwnage:

Cyberlink PowerDirector will do this. There's a video speed adjustment as well as a slow-motion video setting (.8X to .25X) with frame interpolation.

nklb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

nklb

Premium Member

said by DeathK:

There's a video speed adjustment as well as a slow-motion video setting (.8X to .25X) with frame interpolation.

I think the point of the OPs request is to AVOID frame interpolation.

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK

Premium Member

Good thing there's two options then right? He could try them both and see which one looks better.

SurfTheSky
Flyingphotog
MVM
join:2001-08-26
Fairfax, CA

SurfTheSky to nklb

MVM

to nklb
said by nklb:

said by DeathK:

There's a video speed adjustment as well as a slow-motion video setting (.8X to .25X) with frame interpolation.

I think the point of the OPs request is to AVOID frame interpolation.

Exactly. I've searched for this option myself, and I'm surprised at how very few consumer-oriented applications are geared toward it. With all the new DSLRs that feature 720p at 60p, you'd think there would be a good/cheap solution by now to take that 60p and turn it into 24p (40% speed) really easily.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Vegas is like $50 for the cheapest version and can do this.