spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

disconnected

@snet.net

[Rant] OCZ SSD Drives, All Dead within Hours

Maybe this is a technology that is not ready for release. I made the assumption that SSD, because it's solid state, would be reliable, like my Sony SxS card media, or CF/flash cards, or RAM memory. But it's not. It's lifespan can be measured in minutes.

I purchased an OCZ Agility 240GB drive from Newegg 2 weeks ago for my Atomos Samurai HD-SDI video recorder. It worked fine for 4 hours. Then it became a paperweight, unavailable to any device it was plugged into.
I got it RMA'd and the replacement arrived yesterday. I formatted it in the Samurai as standard procedure, and started a test recording. After 17 minutes, it died. No device would recognize that drive.

I RMA'd that one too. Demanded a refund, and ordered an Intel drive this time.

I've been researching SSD drives now in more depth and it seems that the avg life expectency is 227.357 days. Some drives last for hours, some days. Few make it to a year or more. Google ocz ssd failure and read the horror stories. But it's across all brands. No brand is reliable at all. SSD is only good for a temp/swap drive, if that, because it's failure is merely an inconvenience, but as a system drive, or a video recorder media, it's Russian Roulette. You could lose your entire shoot to these fickle drives.

We should stop buying them until the manufacturers figure out how to make them as reliable as mechanical hard drives, or better yet, as flash media memory, none of which have ever failed me.

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
I recently purchased a SSD from Newegg and spent about a week reading reviews on all the different drives. I learned pretty quick to stay away from any OCZ drive. Apparently they are using cheap components that just can't live up to the promises.

I purchased a Plextor 128GB drive for $149 with a 5 year warranty. I am using it for my Windows Boot drive and to run my Star Wars game. I do keep a backup of my game on my regular data drive also just in case. This way if the SSD dies I can quickly go to my backup drive to run the system.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to disconnected
My Vertex 2 has been running 24x7 since January 2011. I also have an ADATA SSD in my laptop, both of the 120GB variety.

Just my experience.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to disconnected
Intel units have a much lower failure rate that is why I bought Intel for my work laptop. That said I have a couple of OCZ units in my personal fleet that have been fine. I would say it is important to wait a few months after a new product comes out and then update the firmware as soon as you take it out of the box. Let the early adopters test it thoroughly, that's a good idea for most products especially riskier ones.

OHN

join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI
kudos:1
reply to disconnected
That is why I only put my OS on an SSD Drive. I purchased two OCZ Vertex 2 drives about a year ago. The one on my machine works fine and without issues. Still going strong. The one I purchased for my wife is a different story. The BIOS or Windows would not detect it occasionally. After a few times it just died. I did RMA it and got a replacement from OCZ within a week. The wife did not want an SSD anymore but that was because of the limited capacity (60gigs). It is now in the kids Mac and works without issues.

I have two friends that also purchased OCZ drives because reviews were great at the time. One got a Vertex 2 and another Vertex 3. Both of them suffer BSOD routinely. They have already tried updating the firmware and that did not help.

Recently I built a new machine and purchased an Intel 520 drive. I love it. It is stable and no issues just yet. However, it does have a 5-year warranty so I am not worried. As I mentioned earlier, I only keep the OS and BF3 on it so I am not worried in case it also fails. I also have it backed up via Acronis on two external drives. Intel does have a better reputation when it comes to quality control so that is another plus.

OCZ
The Former Pocket

join:2009-05-15
Saint Paul, MN
reply to disconnected
Hey!

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to OHN
My application is rather unique among SSD users: the drive is the 'media' that is used to record HD-SDI (high definition through serial digital interface) off of our CineAlta HD cams. Atomos has just released a recording device that's affordable (well under Sony's $60K price) that records HD-SDI now, and it achieves it through the use of high speed SSD drives. So that's where I'm using the SSD.
On Friday, my Intel X25 300GB drive arrived and so far, after a lot of recording, it's still working great. Another thing, when I dock it, the PC always reliably detects it. When I had the first of the OCZ drives, Windows wouldn't detect the drive unless I replugged the docking station a few times. And recording on the Atomos unit was flakey with that OCZ drive--the record indicator would flicker at start of a take. With the Intel drive, it works as it should. Docking is 100% reliable so far too. Knock on wood, the drive will not fail during my lifetime.
OCZ has serious quality issues. It seems that the company is for sale, and one writer speculated that they're just focused on shipping quantities of drives, sans quality checking, to bolster sales figures to make the company more attractive to a buyer.