uniqs
share rss forum feed

pixx
Premium
join:2007-11-06
Beaconsfield, QC

[Grandfathered Plans] Still have unltd, will they switch me if I

Hi there,

I still have a Sympatico 6 mbps DSL plan from 7 years ago.. I never accepted their change proposals and this plan was left on my account.

I never really used it that much but lately, I have started REALLY using it.. 100 Gigs plus a month for 2 months..

Are they going to notice and cut me off, throttle me, force me to downgrade my plan ?

Thanks !

Phil.

dfdgdf

@teksavvy.com

Re: [Grandfathered Plans] Still have unltd, will they switch me

they will keep on increasing the monthly fees so you will end up calling them to upgrade- or to cancel and switch to another company (reselleR)

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to pixx

There's no reason to be paying $80+ for an old 6mbps unlimited connection, when you can get the exact same service from a wholesale ISP for half the price.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to pixx

No, not at your usage levels, however you should shop around for alternative options because you could be paying less.

pixx
Premium
Beaconsfield, QC
reply to HiVolt

I pay 51$ not 80$ - certainly not the best price for 6 mbps unlimimted - but switching is a hassle and is inherently risky.

pixx
Premium
Beaconsfield, QC
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

No, not at your usage levels, however you should shop around for alternative options because you could be paying less.

At what usage levels would they get annoyed and do something ? 200, 300, more ?

Thanks !

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Likely above 200GB, probably even higher because some providers offer plans with 300GB usage. Since throttling is gone (or so Bell claims) I am sure they have other mechanisms for reducing “peak” usage.

I vaguely recall a thread (can’t find it), not sure if it was in this forum, CanChat or Canadian Broadband in which a user was cut off, however their usage was well into the 1,000GB+ range per month. Basically the guy was using almost the theoretical maximum possible, and doing so for months on a residential plan.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to pixx

said by pixx:

I pay 51$ not 80$ - certainly not the best price for 6 mbps unlimimted - but switching is a hassle and is inherently risky.

How did you manage that? Bell has been raising the price of the grandfathered unlimited accounts by $5 once a year at least since they abolished unlimited 5 years ago.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

pixx
Premium
Beaconsfield, QC

said by HiVolt:

said by pixx:

How did you manage that? Bell has been raising the price of the grandfathered unlimited accounts by $5 once a year at least since they abolished unlimited 5 years ago.

Hmmm, it's probably that I was on a retention credit for a very long time.. Maybe that prevented the increases ?

anon1

@allstream.net

100gb is nothing... my average usage over the last 3 months is 550gb.. I've never heard a peep out of Bell... that $80 a month I pay is almost pure profit.

I was hoping that after they lost the UBB battle, and actually offered a way for the resellers to still sell unlimited that Bell would bring back unlimited for fear of losing customers, or offer like a 400gb cap or something...

There really isn't much reason to stay with Bell anymore other than just the hassle of cancelling.

The funniest is when Rogers calls me asking me to switch... I tell them I'd love to, but that they don't offer a usage plan that meets my needs... then I tell them how much traffic I do... and the guy on the other end of the phone is kinda speechless... ok sir have a good day....click