how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

What is "Blast Plus"?

XFINITY Streampix is included for no additional cost with Blast Plus and select HD Triple Play packages.

»www.comcast.com/streampix?cmp=ILC_QNQ1

wTheOnew

@comcast.net

Blast Plus is supposedly the Blast Internet package plus the Digital Economy TV package.

What does that mean? I've spent almost a dozen hours over the last week trying to figure just that out.

Blast plus is advertised at having 30/6 with powerboost while Blast is advertised at 20/4 with powerboost. I questioned this and was told that it is definitely Blast at 20/4 and that they don't have a 30/6 tier. A 30 minute conversation as to why they're advertising it at 30/6 if it doesn't exist ensued...

Now, on to Digital Economy. What exactly is that I ask since it's not listed online. Well it's Digital Basic and some of Digital Expanded. What exactly does some mean? No one seems to know exactly...

If I'm using a CableCard do I get the corresponding HD channels? Yes, if you rent an HD cable box. Um... Don't need a cable box, have CableCard.. Oh! Then yes, the HD channels are included in that price! Oh, I need the CableCard to be setup for one way communication only, no OnDemand or PPV, when you send it out to me. Oh, you don't do self installs any more? Great...

Any who, that's what I've found out on the topic. It's getting installed tonight. We'll see what everything actually is then.

For a company that provides such a great product, the sales, marketing, and CS departments are atrocious.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

said by wTheOnew :

Blast Plus is supposedly the Blast Internet package plus the Digital Economy TV package.

What does that mean? I've spent almost a dozen hours over the last week trying to figure just that out.
:
Now, on to Digital Economy. What exactly is that I ask since it's not listed online. Well it's Digital Basic and some of Digital Expanded. What exactly does some mean? No one seems to know exactly...

To find out what is on the Digital Economy TV package in your area, click on: »www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/Ch···ect=true
and enter your street address and zip code. On the next page, just above the channel list (which displays "All Channels" by default) select "Digital Economy" from the "Select a package type:" pull-down menu box. The list should now show all the Digital Economy channels.

wTheOnew

@comcast.net

said by telcodad:

said by wTheOnew :

:

To find out what is on the Digital Economy TV package in your area, click on: »www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/Ch···ect=true
and enter your street address and zip code. On the next page, just above the channel list (which displays "All Channels" by default) select "Digital Economy" from the "Select a package type:" pull-down menu box. The list should now show all the Digital Economy channels.

That drop-down hasn't worked for me in any browser, on any computer, for any location that I've lived in for at least the last 3 years. It will either not drop down or it will always show all channels. Thanks for the tip though... But, that's another story not really related to this thread. Don't want to hijack it.

wTheOnew

join:2012-03-09

1 edit
reply to telcodad

Same thing as post above ^

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO
reply to wTheOnew

said by wTheOnew:

Blast plus is advertised at having 30/6 with powerboost while Blast is advertised at 20/4 with powerboost. I questioned this and was told that it is definitely Blast at 20/4 and that they don't have a 30/6 tier. A 30 minute conversation as to why they're advertising it at 30/6 if it doesn't exist ensued...

I think that's just a matter of Comcast's own marketing stupidity ("Xfinity" - really?) for quoting powerboost burst speeds instead of actual capped rates. It confuses their own sales and support people almost as much as it does their customers.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to JJJohnson

Click for full size
It is a "Double Play" bundle with Blast & Digital Economy TV as mentioned earlier.

JJJohnson

Fort Collins, CO

said by Johkal:

It is a "Double Play" bundle with Blast & Digital Economy TV as mentioned earlier.

Link?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by JJJohnson:

said by Johkal:

Link?

Try: »www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/···net.html

The "Blast Plus" offer should be at the top of the page:

Blast Plus: Lightning-fast Internet + TV
Download speeds up to 30 Mbps with PowerBoost and all of your local channels, plus popular ones like Discovery, Disney, CNN, A&E and Comedy Central. Stream hundreds of movies online anytime, anywhere with XFINITY Streampix.
$49.99/mo for 6 months starting price for new customers

I used a zip code of 80521 for Fort Collins, CO and looked up the cable network channels included with the Digital Economy package:

10 Poudre R-1 School District
11 Colorado State University
14 City of Fort Collins
15 C-SPAN
16 TV Guide Network
20 HSN
24 BET
30 USA Network
33 TV Land
34 Cartoon Network
35 Disney Channel
37 History
38 Lifetime
42 Fox News Channel
45 truTV
47 Discovery Channel
48 Animal Planet
51 Food Network
53 The Weather Channel
56 Spike
58 A&E
59 E!
60 Comedy Central
71 C-SPAN 2
72 AMC
73 Hallmark Channel
95 Leased Access
96 Educational Access
97 Public Access
99 WGN America
104 TV Guide Network
165 Colorado Channel
188 Jewelry TV

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to JJJohnson

Click for full size
»www.comcast.com/

Shop tab / Double Play from drop down / log-in screen

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to telcodad

Somebody near me, who gets their bill a bit earlier, said there is a note that Spike will no longer be in Digital Economy next month. It was going to be replaced by another channel.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to telcodad

That lineup looks pitiful compared to my Digital Economy offer:

3 WPSU-3 (PBS) Local
5 WATM-23 (ABC) Local
6 WJAC-6 (NBC) Local
7 CGTV Local
8 WWCP-8 (FOX) Local
9 Comcast Network Local
10 WTAJ-10 (CBS) Local
11 WKBS-47 (IND) Local
13 WNEP-16 (ABC) Local
16 Lifetime Lifestyle
23 The Discovery Channel News & Info
25 WPIX-11 (CW) Local
27 C-SPAN News & Info
28 Fox News News & Info
29 CNN News & Info
32 The Weather Channel News & Info
33 truTV Lifestyle
37 Spike TV Lifestyle
38 BET Lifestyle
40 AMC Movies
41 Disney Channel Children & Family
42 USA Network Lifestyle
44 Cartoon Network Children & Family
46 A&E Lifestyle
48 Comedy Central Lifestyle
50 Animal Planet Children & Family
53 Food Network Lifestyle
56 E! Lifestyle
58 TV Land Children & Family
59 EWTN Lifestyle
66 History News & Info
67 C-SPAN 2 News & Info
89 ShopNBC Lifestyle
190 Leased Access Help & Services
233 ThisTV News & Info
235 WHVL-MY News & Info
241 WPSU-World Lifestyle
242 WPSU-Create Lifestyle
248 MeTV News & Info
294 The Word Network Lifestyle
803 WPSU-PBS HD* High-Definition TV
806 WJAC-NBC HD* High-Definition TV
808 WWCP-FOX HD* High-Definition TV
810 WTAJ-CBS HD* High-Definition TV
812 HSN HD* High-Definition TV
813 WATM-ABC HD* High-Definition TV
815 The Weather Channel HD* High-Definition TV
817 CNN HD* High-Definition TV
820 Fox News HD* News & Info
823 USA Network HD* High-Definition TV
827 Spike TV HD* High-Definition TV
828 Comedy Central HD* High-Definition TV
830 Hallmark Channel HD* High-Definition TV
831 A&E HD* High-Definition TV
833 E! HD* High-Definition TV
835 Lifetime HD* High-Definition TV
839 Food Network HD* High-Definition TV
866 BET HD* High-Definition TV
868 Animal Planet HD* High-Definition TV
869 Discovery Channel HD* High-Definition TV
875 History HD* High-Definition TV
878 Cartoon Network HD* High-Definition TV
880 Disney Channel HD* High-Definition TV
889 AMC HD* High-Definition TV
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Well, I did not include the local OTA channels on my list, and it did not show any HD channels, but given that it is "economy" I guess that's no surprise!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Actually the offering is quite nice. I was actually considering that "Double Play", but there were a couple channels my family likes that is not offered in this lineup.

dscline

join:2001-09-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to JJJohnson

I don't understand this. When I try this myself, the "blast plus" option under my account says: "enjoy all of your local channels, plus many more popular ones like Discovery, Disney, CNN, A&E, and Comedy Central" But when I go to the channel lineup, there is no "digital economy". There is a "KTN economy", but all that has for me (Atlanta) is my local channels, plus HSN, QVC, Shop NBC, and WGN. But the flip side of this is: currently I just have Blast + Limited Basic. Blast Plus is $6 cheaper.

kevcallaway

join:2005-11-05
reply to JJJohnson

Re: What is ;Blast Plus quot;?

I'm seriously thinking about getting Blast Plus also. I am happy with the Digital Economy TV package in my area. Basically everything I want -- with the ESPNs and regional sports networks stripped out. Although our local programming printed guide they pass out in the Comcast store does not list Fox News HD -- I can confirm that at least in central Connecticut it is included in this package.

Blast Plus also seems cool because it is not a 6 month or 12 month offer it is just an offer period, of course subject to future increases. I would plan on buying a cable modem, DOCSIS 3.

One caveat I should let people know about -- at least in my market. You get one regular non HD cable box included with the Economy TV package. We own 2 standard def. TV's. First TV is covered by that free box. However, for our second TV, we could NOT get by with one of those small digital adapter boxes with no monthly rental fee. those DTA's only can be used with Digital Starter (aka the standard package) or a higher level of programming. That is what I have been told by Comcast. The filtering employed to give you the Digital Economy is not compatible with those DTA's.

True or bogus ?

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to Johkal

Re: What is "Blast Plus"?

said by Johkal:

It's labeled as "Blast Extra" here.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

Actually the offering is quite nice. I was actually considering that "Double Play", but there were a couple channels my family likes that is not offered in this lineup.

According to Comcast's site for us, there is no Digital Economy Tier, there is a Limited Basic listed though. We have Directv for our tv, so I can't go into any detail beyond what the site says. Just plug in the zip for Redwood Valley, CA 95470 and see all the exciting, or not so exciting details.

Edit-Looking under the Xfinity TV offerings only, there are two tiers listed for us, Digital Preferred and Basic Cable. I assume you have to add HD and other goodies onto that.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
reply to JJJohnson

yup, what Johkal said.

As for the streampix thingy, it looked pretty good and easy to use until I clicked play and it wants me to install silverlight. No thanks.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

Nothing wrong with Silverlight.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to pokesph

I was totally against silverlight for the longest time, but I installed it about four months ago for Netflix and I must admit it works really well, especially with the Comcast.net video offerings.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
reply to RR Conductor

said by RR Conductor:

Nothing wrong with Silverlight.

Well, other than the fact Microsoft is moving away from it in Windows 8 and beyond...

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to RR Conductor

said by RR Conductor:

According to Comcast's site for us, there is no Digital Economy Tier, there is a Limited Basic listed though. We have Directv for our tv, so I can't go into any detail beyond what the site says. Just plug in the zip for Redwood Valley, CA 95470 and see all the exciting, or not so exciting details.

Edit-Looking under the Xfinity TV offerings only, there are two tiers listed for us, Digital Preferred and Basic Cable. I assume you have to add HD and other goodies onto that.

I think Digital Economy may be one of those 'hidden' tiers that is mainly to help hold onto customers who would otherwise cancel. It may only be available by calling Comcast. The HSI Performance Starter is like that, too.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 edit

Click for full size
It's listed as a normal option in my area as you could tell by my posted pic & channel lineup in previous posts.

*Edit: Economy option added.

mrkahuna

join:2002-07-25
Shelburne, VT
reply to JJJohnson

I tried to sign up for this. It's actually only available to new subscribers or existing subscribers with only basic cable and/or performance internet according to the rep I just chatted with. Since I already was on Digital Economy I couldn't get it. It's moves like these that drive Comcast's customer satisfaction ratings down.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

This is what I see:

"Limited to residential customers. Not all services and features available in all areas. Requires subscription to Blast Plus with Digital Economy TV service and Blast!® Internet service."

It's a Double Play that I confirmed that I can get.
I'm not on any current package since I dumped CDV & Triple Play. I have Performance HSI & Digital Starter TV presently.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

mrkahuna

Shelburne, VT

Hmm, I talked to 2 different people who said I couldn't sign up for it once they got into the order process. I'll be interested to know if anyone in my situation can actually sign up.

dscline

Atlanta, GA

said by mrkahuna:

Hmm, I talked to 2 different people who said I couldn't sign up for it once they got into the order process. I'll be interested to know if anyone in my situation can actually sign up.

I'm not sure what "your situation" is, but I just signed up. I did it online. I went to the link posted earlier in the thread, I took the option for existing customers and entered my phone# and last 4 of ssn, and I ended up at a page showing my current service, and the offer for blast plus. I signed up directly through that page, which ultimately ended in a live chat session to schedule the install. During the chat, he had to check to confirm that it was available at my location, but it apparently was.

I'm still not clear as to what I'm getting, as per my previous post regarding the channel line-up screen vs. the first page that mentions some cable channels. But the chat session was complicated enough, so I didn't ask. He was initially confused, thinking I couldn't use cablecard with a digital service.

dscline

Atlanta, GA
reply to dscline

said by dscline:

When I try this myself, the "blast plus" option under my account says: "enjoy all of your local channels, plus many more popular ones like Discovery, Disney, CNN, A&E, and Comedy Central" But when I go to the channel lineup, there is no "digital economy". There is a "KTN economy", but all that has for me (Atlanta) is my local channels, plus HSN, QVC, Shop NBC, and WGN.

So I decided to open a new chat session, to see if I could clear up what this should include. Here is what they said:

1. USA 2. Fox News 3. A&E 4. Lifetime 5. Hallmark 6. SPIKE TV 7. truTV 8. Cartoon Network 9. AMC 10. CNN 11. Comedy Central 12. Discovery Channel 13. History Channel 14. TV Land 15. Disney Channel 16. Food Network 17. Animal Planet 18. BET 19. E! 20. WGN 21. Weather Channel 22. TV Guide Channel 23. HSN 24. Jewelry TV 25. QVC 26. EWTN 27. TBN 28. C-Span 29. C-Span2 30. Music Choice Channels

Those, plus what is in limited basic. At least for my area.

mrkahuna

Shelburne, VT

"My situation" being already subscribed to Digital Economy TV and Performance Internet. Both people I talked to said Blast plus was not available to existing customers.