ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 edit

ashrc4

Premium Member

Use our payment system or we kill your app': Google to dev's

"Google has been pressuring applications and mobile game developers to use its costlier in-house payment service, Google Wallet, as the internet search giant tries to emulate the financial success of Apple's iOS platform."

In one email sent to a developer in late August, Google said the developer had 30 days to comply, otherwise the developer's apps would be "suspended" from Android Market. Reuters obtained a copy of the email this week.

"They told people that if they used other payment services they would be breaking the terms of use," said Si Shen, founder and chief executive of Papaya, a social gaming network on Android. "Whether it's right or wrong, we have to follow the rules."

»www.theage.com.au/digita ··· ogu.html

I guess Google Wallet is allowed to add data from your cc into the mix. To profile your spending habits.

"Google Wallet has been designed for an open commerce ecosystem. It will eventually hold many if not all of the cards you keep in your leather wallet today. And because Google Wallet is a mobile app, it will be able to do more than a regular wallet ever could, like storing thousands of payment cards and Google Offers but without the bulk. Eventually your loyalty cards, gift cards, receipts, boarding passes, tickets, even your keys will be seamlessly synced to your Google Wallet. And every offer and loyalty point will be redeemed automatically with a single tap via NFC."

»www.google.com/wallet/vi ··· ion.html
ashrc4

1 edit

1 recommendation

ashrc4

Premium Member

So let's see what the data will contain now;
Google OS devices (tablets and phones) will have;
your surfing habits
your search habits
your contacts
your calender events soon
your banking habits new 4g to start with
your loyalty card habits new 4g to start with
your movement history (GPS and Cell)
access to device photo's not yet collected??
your call records

All stored in a handy dossier to be used to at will to profile and predict your next move/purchase/search/google offer. Subtly (or not) shaping your life to their desire for dominance/profit.
Just because you bought a bloody phone that has their operating system on it.
Problem with this is i don't trust them with it....Not by how i've seen them do business.
Nor would i wish to opt in to such a system in the first place.

edit forgot a few
email adress' on devices
google + account including friends
Gmail including emails/contacts

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
This isn't a new policy, it long predates the rebranding as Google Play. It looks like Google is reminding the developers who ignored it when it went into effect years ago. Apple does the same.

ashrc4
Premium Member
australia

1 recommendation

ashrc4

Premium Member

My main beef is for the end user because it now forces them to connect to Google play via Google walllet. You have no choice but to now use yet another Google service that will collect data from your personal credit line(s). This is being forced onto people who have had other means to purchase apps free of this previously.
Not everybody wants to give Google more data for a phone they purchased in the past but now have to.
Apple does not push altered search results, ads, Google offers all derived from a profile that will now included further profiling of ones financial position.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

2 recommendations

nwrickert to ashrc4

Mod

to ashrc4
This doesn't affect me, as I only have an older non-smart cell phone.

My guess is that google is concerned with protecting the end user from identity theft risks.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by nwrickert:

My guess is that google is concerned with protecting the end user from identity theft risks.

That is an excellent point, one that completely got by me too.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
As a very shortsighted people, we allow the monster to grow and do whatever it wants ... so far.

As a small step to prevent that from my side I'll try to refrain myself from purchasing apps in the new Google Play store.

ashrc4
Premium Member
australia

ashrc4 to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by nwrickert:

That is an excellent point, one that completely got by me too.

»nakedsecurity.sophos.com ··· devices/

The "putting all of one's eggs in one's basket" means enterprise for some.
Hold on to your driod and if lost, reports cards as stolen.