Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

Anav to Brano

Premium Member

to Brano

Re: L2TP VPN on USG - quick how-to

Brano, could you expand on two things.

a. the route rule, what does it do...

b. expand on our use of tunnel in the firewall rule. I only noticed a tunnel in my interface when updating to 3.0. I assumed this was only for ipv6?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

said by Anav:

a. the route rule, what does it do...

Ensuring your return traffic from local LAN is routed back to your L2TP VPN and not elsewhere (i.e. by default to internet)
said by Anav:

b. expand on our use of tunnel in the firewall rule. I only noticed a tunnel in my interface when updating to 3.0. I assumed this was only for ipv6?

TUNNEL is just a zone name. You can use any zone name that fits your needs or create new one i.e. L2TP_ZONE. I choose TUNNEL because it was there and empty. You can use your IPSEC_VPN zone instead too.
Alternatively you can choose ANY as source in this FW rule. But I like to keep things restricted wherever possible.
said by polarisdb:

I was also wondering why creating an address object for the WAN interface is required? The ZyXEL documentation did the same thing with a static IP and I wasn't sure why...

If you have static WAN IP then you're fine with static IP. However I have dynamic WAN IP and creating object of Interface type will ensure the object's value (IP) will change as my WAN IP changes.
polarisdb
join:2004-07-12
USA

polarisdb

said by Brano:

said by polarisdb:

I was also wondering why creating an address object for the WAN interface is required? The ZyXEL documentation did the same thing with a static IP and I wasn't sure why...

If you have static WAN IP then you're fine with static IP. However I have dynamic WAN IP and creating object of Interface type will ensure the object's value (IP) will change as my WAN IP changes.

Bear with me, but I am still confused. I have a dynamic IP, but what I don't understand is why creating an address object pointing to the interface instead of using the interface itself (WAN1_IP in my case) is done?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

said by polarisdb:

said by Brano:

said by polarisdb:

Bear with me, but I am still confused. I have a dynamic IP, but what I don't understand is why creating an address object pointing to the interface instead of using the interface itself (WAN1_IP in my case) is done?

I have a theory. Its a very good theory. Well tis a theory by Anne Elk (thats two nn's and an e), if your visually impaired and hearing this text!!

Brano's real namee is Bran Ojectoriented. And there you have it.
A theory by Anne Elk