Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ddasilva99

join:2007-02-20
Mississauga, ON

[Cable] SB6120 Modem

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a SB6120 modem *used*. Could you please tell me if its firmware is compatible with Teksavvy Cable service? I think I remember reading something about SB6120 firmware and compatibility issues with some firmware versions?

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0

Thanks,
D

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
That's a pretty old firmware. The modem itself will work on the network (I have one on the newest 1.0.6.1 firmware), but there's a lot of talk that Rogers won't provision new ones and that they'll only allow Thomson DCM475s now. You should get absolutely confirmation from a TSI employee on this board (NOT a phone rep) that the modem can be provisioned before you buy it.

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
reply to ddasilva99
I will have a Thomson475 for sale as soon as my new 25/7 goes online. They are actually not bad, they bond 8 channels down and upto 4 up, so there is room for growth.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to ddasilva99
The good news:
Fundamentally it will work. It is likely, but not yet completely confirmed, that if you get it online and working Rogers will upgrade the firmware automatically.

The bad news:
If you have any trouble before the firmware is upgraded, Rogers will refuse to do anything to fix that trouble. They will blame the "incompatible" firmware and tell you to get a new modem.

The other news:
I have the gear, and I'm going to try upgrading a modem firmware via JTAG later today

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to ddasilva99
What Teddy just said sounds pretty much like what's going to happen.

You should be able to use the modem, but if issues arise, then you may get a modem is the issue. Then you'd be out of luck.

I don't have a better answer for you to be honest.
--
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

HKPolice

join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

The good news:
Fundamentally it will work. It is likely, but not yet completely confirmed, that if you get it online and working Rogers will upgrade the firmware automatically.

The bad news:
If you have any trouble before the firmware is upgraded, Rogers will refuse to do anything to fix that trouble. They will blame the "incompatible" firmware and tell you to get a new modem.

The other news:
I have the gear, and I'm going to try upgrading a modem firmware via JTAG later today

I don't think it'll auto update the firmware because a lot of people have SB6121 with 1.0.5.1 and we never got updated.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
I dont think the SB6121's ever get updated, mine didnt.
However my SB6120 on rogers did, and since rogers doesnt allow it, I'm going to have to assume it was either automatically updated at one point, or was mass upgraded at one point.
Either way, the SB6121 doesnt have to do with this, and since Martin says you should be able to use it, I dont see why you wouldnt be able to.
There was a post in a thread just recently about a user who had an older SB6120 activated and his firmware was updated, so I dont see why they cant update yours even if its manual.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
My SB6120 was definitely upgraded to 1.0.6.1 recently:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0

However, I haven't gotten the 2x upstream bonds yet other DOCSIS 3 people on my node have :S

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Me neither, awaiting 2x upstream bonding... but really I want my node split so i can actually achieve max speeds during peak, the rest is gravy.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
reply to d4m1r
Still not sure why people are looking for/interested in the 612x's. 4 channel limited modems, known issues, firmware upgrade issues, etc.

There are better modems that are easier to find.

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
said by SimplePanda:

Still not sure why people are looking for/interested in the 612x's. 4 channel limited modems, known issues, firmware upgrade issues, etc.

Because Motorolas are a superior cable modem. Period.

Never even knew Thompson was in the business of Cable modems until last year. And the RCA counter part modem is a POS. Ask any cogeco customer.

Rogers has to update firmware if requested by the TPIA. Im not sure why people believe otherwise. You may need to request the firmware upgrade specifically in a service request ticket - but it will get done.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

However, I haven't gotten the 2x upstream bonds yet other DOCSIS 3 people on my node have :S

Are you sure? How do you know? Node edges can be ANYWHERE...

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Gimli
said by Gimli:

Never even knew Thompson was in the business of Cable modems until last year. And the RCA counter part modem is a POS. Ask any cogeco customer.

So you don't want to buy 50 DCM425s from me then

I find them to be perfectly good, to be honest, but I do have to repair them to get them to that state.

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by d4m1r:

People on my same node (even with the same model Motorola) have confirmed they are double bonded while I am still single

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

TSI does not offer speed tiers where 8 channels is an issue. The rest of your post is simply FUD.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

said by Teddy Boom:

said by d4m1r:

People on my same node (even with the same model Motorola) have confirmed they are double bonded while I am still single

Node != POI, so unless they are you neighbour and even than they may not even be on the same node as their is no way to tell what node people are one.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
@ d4m1r See Profile
It might help you to understand by reading about what a node is.

d4m1r

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to JCohen
said by JCohen:

Node != POI, so unless they are you neighbour and even than they may not even be on the same node as their is no way to tell what node people are one.

I meant POI.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by SimplePanda:

TSI does not offer speed tiers where 8 channels is an issue. The rest of your post is simply FUD.

Channel count helps with congestion as much as throughput so I'd rather be on 8 channels than not.

4 channel service alone provides a theoretical 150+ Mbps and no provider (Rogers included) offers speeds this high. I guess Rogers is just moving to 8 channel for the fun of it?

...and I guess all the people with 612x firmware issues and 6121 overheating issues are just 'spreading FUD' as well? How many people are asking how to JTAG upgrade a 6120 right now?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by SimplePanda:

How many people are asking how to JTAG upgrade a 6120 right now?

Not me, anymore. USBJTAG NT is a thing of beauty

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
It does not involve JTAG for the SB612x. You are using just it as a SPI FLASH programmer.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to ddasilva99
I can understand OP.

Pay 124$ (99$ modem + 10$ shipping + HST) just for upgrading his connection passed 15mbps.

Or pay 60$ for a modem on eBay.

Well, that's the price i paid by modem, but the seller did state that it wasn't compatible for Rogers network (Hence the likely reason for the low price). Not that it matters since I'm in Quebec.