spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ianmac
@telus.net

ianmac

Anon

[ALL] 2 ADSL Modems in One House?

I live in a large 17 year old house with several thick concrete and stone walls (poor WiFi) and limited ability to run new Cat5/6. I have Telus ADSL and am using the Telus provided modem and want to get Internet in a remote part of the house. My options are Ethernet Over Coax or running the ADSL over the phone line to the part of the house where I want Ethernet and putting in another ADSL modem. Is there anything to stop me from running 2 Modems on my account?
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur

You can only have one modem per phone line. They would interfere with each other if you tried to put 2 on, as you would have 2 devices trying to use the same frequency.

Two suggestions come to mind for me.

1) Multiple wireless access points set up as repeaters to spead the signal around. Might take customer firmware to do properly though.

2) Power Line ethernet. My understanding is kits aren't too expensive and fairly reliable these days.

siberx4
Bandwidth hog
join:2004-10-19
West Vancouver, BC

siberx4 to ianmac

to ianmac
Powerline ethernet is probably the way to go here; you just need to buy one kit to bridge between the location where your ADSL modem is and the remote part, then tack a switch off the powerline ethernet unit and wire up all your remote devices. The most modern kits that advertise 500mbps+ will probably give you roughly equivalent speed to a 100mbps wired ethernet connection in practice.

jasch
@telus.net

jasch

Anon

I recently bought a D-Link powerline package, advertised as "up to" 500Mbps, but only got about 18Mbps in my intended locations (and only 35Mbps when plugged into the same wall). Actual performance might be better in your house.